Menu

Summer...Math Bridging Options

We will begin homeschooling this fall. My son is currently doing BJU 5th grade but is capable of much harder work. Placement tests indicate he's ready for pre-A and after researching and asking questions, I'm leaning toward Jousting Armadillos for fall.

My question is--is there something he can begin working through this summer that could help prep the transition between 5th grade math and pre-A? He really has a good basis and I'm not concerned that he's not ready but I'm just looking for something light that he could work through. Any thoughts?

Use this time to shore up any weakness he has. How is he with fractions? Ratios? Properties of Real Numbers?...

If I remember correctly, the author of the JA texts has an account on this board especially made to answer questions about JA, so you can contact them. Forgive me, but I don't know his name...However it was a recent (last 2 weeks?) thread about JA so just do a couple of searches and you should find it.

Life of Fred is a great idea! Thanks.

Mom2bee--he's pretty strong overall. I am meeting with his current math teacher today though and I'll ask her that...what might he need work on between now and pre-A. I did note that the author of JA has an account AND he gave out his email address, so contacting him might be a good idea, too.

We're moving to a new state in the middle of the summer, so I don't really want to start with JA quite yet!

I ditto Life of Fred. In DD's case, she was used to workbooks, so Life of Fred gave her practice reading and transferring math to a separate notebook, which was a skill she needed before starting PA more formally, and she LOVES Fred!

I ditto Life of Fred. In DD's case, she was used to workbooks, so Life of Fred gave her practice reading and transferring math to a separate notebook, which was a skill she needed before starting PA more formally, and she LOVES Fred!

Can I ask which Life of Fred book or books you used?