Menu

Need curriculum ideas......

My 6 year old son in starting 1st grade in the fall and has a speech delay. He is about 3 1/2 years behind in speech/pronunciation as assessed by a speech language pathologist. But he has a great vocabulary and is advanced in most school subjects. He is reading at a second to third grade level without help and chapter books with minimal help. He excels in math and map skills/geography. He does well with workbooks but has a hard time staying on task. Are there any particular curricula out there for phonics, spelling, grammar, and vocabulary for children with speech delays as this is the area he needs the most help. He has a difficult time sounding words out because of his pronunciation issues. I don't know how he managed to learn to read but he reads as fast as I do with comprehension. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Audrey

I don't know anything specific for speech delay, maybe Barton or LiPS or something. His speech doesn't seem to affect him academically, so maybe you can continue with regular programs and just work on specific speech therapy exercises. Dancing Bears may help, since it quizzes the phonograms and has oral reading practice.

I have a daughter on the far end of normal for speech development. She reads fine but spelling is hard for her. She uses All About Spelling and it works for everything she can pronounce. The trouble is when she is sounding out the word she can't say some of the sounds. Th and Ng give her lots of trouble. I don't think there is a program out there that would overcome her issues unless it relied on pure memorization. In our case that would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. For every word she can't sound out there are 10 she can.

Something Orton-Gillingham based like Logic of English, The Phonics Road, or All About Reading. 

Something Spalding method like Reading Lessons Through Literature, Writing Road to Reading, and Spell to Write and Read.

Anything listed at www.epsbooks.com.

Verticy Academy through Calvert School.

I have had 3 sons with varying degrees of speech delays. All our therapists told us the best thing we could do was to teach them systematic phonics. www.starfall.com's ABC page was a huge help as was The Letter Factory by Leap Frog videos. We also like McRuffy Lang Arts.

I decided to just continue with what we are doing and just add in horizons Spelling and Vocabulary. I am very interested in dancing Bears but son didn't seem very interested from the samples I found online. Plus he didn't like the way they wrote their letters. He said it was to confusing. He is still mastering his handwriting and I don't think it is in his best interest to change it up right now.