Menu

Best ancient history encyclopedia for grammar stage

aabuller

I'm trying to decide which encyclopedia(s) to purchase to use with my first grader next Fall. We'll be using SOTW as our spine, mixed with Veritas History cards and Bible history.

What I'm looking for: What is your favorite history encyclopedia for the grammar stage? And why?

This is probably what I would get. I think the book that my third grader uses is the modern section that corresponds with this book, and he likes it a lot. He uses it along with SOTW, and I feel like they complement each other well. http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-Ancient-World-Encyclopedias/dp/0794511414/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1399575206&sr=8-12&keywords=Usborne+history+book

On second thought, this one looks closer to the modern one we have, but they're both Usborne. We like Kingfisher too, but I think it's more for older children than Usborne. http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-World-History-Usborne/dp/0746027605/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399575588&sr=1-2&keywords=Usborne+world+history+ancient

I highly recommend Usborne non fiction for the grammar stage. I actually became a consultant with them just to fund my and my childrens' obsession with everything Usborne. We also have the kingfisher; but my daughter rolls her eyes at it. The language and illustration of Usborne (and internet links) can't be beat. :-)