Menu

Davidson Scholar - anyone have experience

Hi, it was suggested that I apply to the Davidson Young Scholars program because there are some great resources there.

I tried to explain to my husband last night that we could apply to the program, and realized I really don't know much about it other than I was pointed in that direction b/c of the free resources and I want to take advantage of all the help we can get. Curious more about it for sure!

After looking into it my son does qualify with his test scores but I also need to send in some "work at least 2 grades ahead of his current grade". Does anyone have experience sending in your child's work? My son is in 3rd grade and can do very high level math, but he doesn't complete this at school (why would they give it to him, we are in a normal school). So I printed out some worksheets for him to fill out and thought I could just send those in. Will that work? 

They have free forums that are very helpful as far as what is needed to apply. You don't need a portfolio if you have both iq and achievement scores.

There are also several threads on this board that speak to the "is it worth it" part of the question. Just search Davidson and they should pop up.

We have not applied, so I can't comment further than that.

My advice-check and see what he does when he's just playing around. His test scores will show that he's advanced. It's his thinking that shows that he's gifted. Math worksheets show less than playing with math. I'd been worried that I didn't have enough, until I started flipping through the notebooks DD does for fun and checked her computer's hard drive :).

I didn't feel I had enough for a portfolio, so once we had Explore scores, we had an IQ test done just for curiosity. We felt it was a long shot, so we went with the local university and a grad student so it was much cheaper.

I've gotten some useful stuff from their email lists. I'd say it was worth it for us.

Almost anything will work.  DS just talked about programming for awhile on a video for part of his portfolio.  Check out the threads above.  

What are you looking for from Davidson?  I had thought there would be great advocacy etc.  Turns out the best thing I found was the private fb page and the forums.  Davidson has changed and has less to offer now, but the parent networking is the best part for me, especially as we have entered the teen years.

I've also been told to apply but I believe if your test scores meet the criteria, you do not need to send work.  Am I wrong?  

I've heard that they aren't as great as they once were but I'm desperate at this point.  I would love to find some local-ish parents and some kids that "get" my little guy.

I've also been told to apply but I believe if your test scores meet the criteria, you do not need to send work.  Am I wrong?

If you have both IQ and achievement test scores, you are not required to send in a portfolio. However, I'd heard of families being requested to send in work samples after the application was submitted, so I went ahead and included a portfolio just to be on the safe side.

If you only have IQ or achievement test scores then you would need to send a portfolio.

I have IQ and achievement but perhaps I'll include some works samples to play it safe. Thank you.

If you have IQ and achievement, just send that in with the application. If they want more, they'll ask you.

For us, looking at their requirements - they want 2 of 3 items. My son's IQ meets their requirement, but the achievement scores fall short in broad math and only are high enough in brief math -- not sure what that means but it puts us in needing to submit the portfolio as well. I assume they are quite strict with their minimum requirements so just want to do what I can! THanks!