Menu

Too late for a 12 year old?

Hello!

I have not been here in some time, but, read frequently :-)

We've been homeschooling for 7 years now and our methods have been here and there, with mostly a living books backbone to what we do.

I am now trying to reintroduce (got offtrack for a while) a more classical method for my boys.

My oldest is twelve now and is the throes of puberty and is pretty resistant at times to things.

Is it too late to get him in the groove with this?  I wish I had stuck with it earlier with him.

Any tips of where to start at this age.  We don't have much memorization under our belts yet, but, plan to begin this summer.

Thanks for any advice you may have :-)

Well, neoclassical says the best time to memorize is in the Poll-Parrot stage, the Grammar stage.

So it won't be as "natural" to do it in Logic stage.

However, it's not too late!

WRT the classical method, how do you define it? What do you want to add and what do you want to subtract (if anything) to your homeschool? What do you want to emphasize?

If you are reading good quality lit and are discussing it already, and if you have built up some basic skills in math and writing, you are prob already on the train without even realizing you already boarded! lol