Menu

How do YOU "do" R&S Spelling 2?

Wonder

After finishing up our 1st grade spelling & phonics, I decided to go ahead and start my girls on Rod & Staff Spelling 2.  So far I only have previous experience with R&S Spelling 4, which I 'think' is quite independent.  After looking at the beginning of R&S 2, I'm curious how others go about "doing" this spelling?  Do you do the drills, etc. like the teacher manual suggests? More than one test?  It says to do this even if they get them all right on the first test.  I'm also wondering if this is going to be challenging enough for my girls.  I know...I know...the challenge is in the "work."  But my girls do have a very strong phonics base already.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I started it with my dd but quit because of the lack of phonics. The publishers expect you to still do phonics with the child when they are doing it. However, my dd had long since been done with phonics and was reading several grade levels above her age. She needed explicit phonics instruction. I'm thinking about using it for 3rd grade because I have heard the phonics instruction and rules etc returns.

I started it with my dd but quit because of the lack of phonics. The publishers expect you to still do phonics with the child when they are doing it. However, my dd had long since been done with phonics and was reading several grade levels above her age. She needed explicit phonics instruction. I'm thinking about using it for 3rd grade because I have heard the phonics instruction and rules etc returns.

Yes, my girls read several grade levels ahead.  Perhaps we'll work through book 2 quickly through the summer...  So are you waiting until 3rd grade to use the 3rd grade book?

This is what we do: I have my kids do section A and C on one day and then section B plus a test on the second day. None of them so far have needed the second test so I haven't done it, but if they did I would add it in on a third day.

Thanks.  I'm specifically asking about the Grade 2 book, though.  There is only a section A and B, and the instructions in the beginning of the teacher's book have the "teacher" doing drills, etc.

Yes, my girls read several grade levels ahead. Perhaps we'll work through book 2 quickly through the summer... So are you waiting until 3rd grade to use the 3rd grade book?

Yes, I'm waiting. I found myself having to figure out spelling rules and didn't like that. I switched to "How to spell" for the remainder of 2nd grade, which teaches rules explicitly. As I understand it (subject to my review) the 3rd grade version teaches explicit phonics to go along with spelling.

We started Grade 2 about 4 weeks ago.  My DD is (surprisingly) loving it so far.

What we've been doing is section A on Monday, section B on Tuesday.

I haven't used the teacher guide for drills at all.

Then on Weds. I have DD do a practice test.  If she gets any wrong, she writes them 3x each that same day and then I test her on just those on Thursday.

Today she got them all correct, so we went ahead and did section A of the next lesson.  (We're finishing 2nd grade but just starting the 2nd grade spelling, so I am okay with accelerating a bit.)  Every 6 lessons or so there is a review, so I'm fine with moving ahead and reviewing more on that lesson.

ETA:  so far in this level, I'm not seeing a lot of "spelling rules" but a lot of phonics concepts (beginning sounds and manipulating them to make new words, etc.)  I'm mainly using this level as extra reading practice, so I'm not 100% concerned with DD spelling for mastery on each lesson.  But so far, we're both happy with it!