Menu

Dr Hive...any ideas on what is causing this abdominal pain?

Tap

For the past 24 hours I have been having this odd pain.

It is about half-dollar sized pain, and only on the right side, centered about where the ovary is.

The pain pulses quickly from nothing to intense pain to nothing in about 3-5 seconds. No residual or lingering pain. 

If the pain were consistent, I would say about a level 7 or 8 pain.  I wouldn't be able to talk or walk through it.  Since it  comes and goes, I just end up catching my breath an waiting for it to be over and continuing on about my day. They woke me up/prevented me sleeping all night. 

I counted from 12 pm to 1 pm and had 12 or 15 pains (I forgot I was counting at one point).  

The pains have zero pattern to them.  They can come seconds apart or 30 minutes apart....no rhyme or reason.

They do not radiate or move in any way.  Front, right side only. 

Laying down, sitting up, walking....not difference.

No constipation, no nausea, I ate a light lunch just fine. 

Not dehydrated.  I have Sjogrens (auto immune issue that leads to dry mouth among other things)  and drink fluids constantly. 

If anything they are getting more frequent/more painful....definitely not getting better.

I have had recent blood work for electrolytes, cbc, thyroid etc.  The only thing that was low was my Vitamin D3 being at a 19.  Just picked up script today, haven't filled it yet.

No fever/chills.

I have never had a pain like his before.  

I had ablation done 10 years ago and don't have a drop of blood since, so I have not idea where in my cycle I am.

Area not tender, doesn't respond to pressure in any way (better nor worse). 

Not cramps.  I have had a few cramps in my life and this is definitely not that.

No difference in urine color, clarity or feel. No blood, no pain.

I have a high pain tolerance, so this isn't just a little twinge. 

I have had 2 cesareans 15 and 19 years ago. No other abdominal surgeries.

I am in my low 40s, average health and weight (BMI 22) other than chronic back pain and sjogrens.

updated to add...not pregnant.

I have a call into my doctor to see if I need to come in, but haven't heard back. 

I took naproxen 20 minutes ago to see if it makes a difference....nothing yet. 

I would go to the ER to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.  (if it is - it's life threatening, and taking the time to go to the dr's office is time you don't have.)

(I don't want to worry you- it could just be a cyst, but you don't know so it needs to be checked out asap.)

I would go to the ER to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.  (if it is - it's life threatening, and taking the time to go to the dr's office is time you don't have.)

(I don't want to worry you- it could just be a cyst, but you don't know so it needs to be checked out asap.)

prrgnancy not  possible.

Sounds like a cyst. I have had small ones that resolved quickly; the pain was as you describe but not as intense.

I remember my mom dealing with this a couple of times - her symptoms were as you describe and she ended up in the ER at least once in the middle of the night.

Doc office has called me several times today and wants me to come in ASAP in the AM for an appt, so if I need imaging they have time to get it done tomorrow.

I have instructions that if I get a fever, stop feeling like eating, or get constipated I have to go straight to urgent care no matter what time it is (we have a 24 hour urgent care here). 

I am not hurting as bad right now, but having about 10 pains an hour. I hope they keep going away and I don't have to worry tomorrow. 

Going to the doc in an hour.  I took 2 Naproxen, a muscle relaxer and a med that helps me sleep last night so the pain wouldn't keep me up again. I only slept 2 hours the night before and I wan't going to let that happen again.  LOL  

I slept a solid 9 hours :0) .  I went to sleep with it still hurting, but woke up with no pain.  I am laying very still on the couch hoping that the pain won't come back if I don't move but since the doctor wants me to come in no matter what so I will have to get moving soon. I will post back with what the doctor says.

Doc agrees with the hive.  Ovarian Cysts.  If the pain stays away, she said not to worry.  If it comes back at all, she is sending me for an ultrasound.  She already has the order in. 

Thanks everyone, I felt a lot better last nigh knowing that everyone pretty much agreed.  :0)  I didn't want to Google around last night too much because I have a much higher risk of lymph based cancers due to my sjogrens, and I didn't want to freak myself out.