Menu

Brave Writer\WWE Question

WahM

For Brave Writer is The Writer's Jungle needed or would I just be able to get Jot it Down and be able to do the program? Also, for a first grade student is Jot it Down enough or would it okay to do WWE as well?

Brave Writer is a stand alone program so you don't NEED to do WWE. That said, I found that BW is a very free flowing program so it works better for me to do WWE and supplement with the creative ideas from BW. 

I think for 1st you could do Jot It Down with out WJ but if you're going to continue using BW products I would highly recommend WJ, I love it.

Some people use Bravewriter, not only as a complete writing program, but as a lifestyle. Incorporating her ideas, language, writing etc into all aspects of schooling & family life. Writers Jungle gives the tools to do that. But many parts of BW can be used without it. We do some Arrow, free writes, and poetry but it is not my main writing curriculum. There are also many ideas on her blog.

I would say get Jot It Down and try it and if you like it, then get TWJ.  I adore TWJ, but a) it's pricey, so if you don't love it, that's an investment lost and b ) there's a ton in there, including a lot of stuff useful to the Jot It Down stage, but there's a lot more about later stages of writing and a lot of the stuff is really focused on those later stages, so it's a less useful book now than it will be a couple of years from now.

You can either use it with WWE or you can make up your own copywork and BW style routine to go with the projects and ideas in Jot It Down.  We use BW by itself - nothing else - and we find it's plenty.  But I think it depends on the kid, the family, the writing philosophy, etc.

I appreciate all the feedback! Thank you. I am really drawn to BW, I'm signed up for the daily emails and really like them. I like the philosophy behind wwe, but find it a bit dry. BW seems to be much more our style.

What about the wand? Is it a full grammar program, would we be better off sticking to fll?

In BW, you wouldn't necessarily do grammar at this age except through copywork.  The Wand covers some phonics along with grammar and mechanics.  It uses picture books and early readers to pick lessons and copywork.  But I haven't used it, only seen it.

A lot of people seem to use WWE alongside BW, but I'm with you on the "dry" aspect of WWE.  The narration style is formulaic to me.  The copywork, because it came from different sources, felt disjointed.  If you want to try to do it BW style, but feel your dd is maybe beyond The Wand but not ready for The Arrow, then I would say just make a routine for your language arts and choose your own copywork from whatever you're currently reading.  In The Arrow and in BW in general, copywork and dictation are prepared - you discuss the passage (or sentence), including its purpose in the book, its vocabulary, its mechanics, the spelling, etc.  Basically using it as a jumping off point to talk about all the various things you can from it, literary and writing wise.

I've used wwe in the past, but with this dd she is much, much to wiggly, hyper, and just would not be able to handle wwe everyday. My youngest ds is more laid back, but he's still too young to tell if it would work with him or not. It would be great to be able to use passages from the Fiar books we use or whichever chapter book we so happen to be reading. It seems like things would flow more smoothly than the random passages in wwe.

I think I'm going to start with jot it down for sure, possibly twj, not sure on that one just yet. I will probably wait a year for the arrow, I'm going to look at the samples just in case. Thanks for your help, farrar.

The Writers Jungle was all over the place, for me. I need less ambling through the jungle paths and more bushwacking to get to the point. For that reason, I think just getting Jot It Down would be sufficient. Honestly, just going to the website and reading all the articles and following the BraveWriter Lifestyle (see website) would be sufficient. I say that and I only partially follow BWL. But before you plunk down for TWJ, go check the website, preview the samples, then decide if you even need Jot It Down.

I haven't used JiD, but I will say that PW is pretty specific. It's not something you could necessarily get from her website and writing tips because it has specific projects.  But it is true that she gives most of her advice away for free.  She once posted on her FB page that someone had complained that everything in TWJ was the same things she was saying on her blog.  And then she basically said, that's right!  They are!

I think the value for me in having the Bravewriter material printed out is so I can make better use of it. I can't just read her blog or facebook posts and do anything with that!! :) And I agree about Partnership Writing. It's more detailed than JiD or anything I see on her website.

I need to underline, tweak, mark up, make myself notes, rearrange etc. I have never been able to utilize online blogs or anything else if I can't actually have materials in my hand.

I have used WWE with Bravewriter. And recently I added Killgallon for my oldest. He loves it. I've actually put WWE1 away until next year because I felt my 1st grader needed more work with spelling/reading and the WWE copywork was over his head. And rather than finish WWE4 (he was so close) my oldest has been working with Killgallon. I'm not even going to bother with WWE at that stage when my dd is older.

I don't like finding my own copywork/dictation and I wanted more than the 4 passages available in Arrow guides. I love Arrow guides, but WWE gave my oldest something else, some variety. I think WWE by itself is terribly dull. We were doing that until I added Bravewriter. But now, having something that is more interesting to do as well, makes WWE bearable. Bravewriter is our spine, WWE is a resource.

I only did WWE 2 days a week, not 4. I'd combine the reading narration/dictation into one day. 

I've been using Jot It Down activities and ideas with my 1st grader since he was in Kindergarten. There's enough in there for younger children to go back to again and again each year.

I like TWJ, but it is definitely more useful for older 3rd-4th grade students + who are actually ready for more writing. Jot it Down is a perfect little guide for those early years. I use it along with regular phonics/spelling programs. I have no experience with the Wand.

I think one could just do Bravewriter and not use any other lang arts program, but I can't. There are spelling, grammar, and other writing books that I like as well, so I utilize the pieces from each that work for us.

For a 1st grader, I wouldn't worry about TWJ or Arrow guides. Jot It Down would be enough. 

I think the value for me in having the Bravewriter material printed out is so I can make better use of it. I can't just read her blog or facebook posts and do anything with that!! :) And I agree about Partnership Writing. It's more detailed than JiD or anything I see on her website.

I need to underline, tweak, mark up, make myself notes, rearrange etc. I have never been able to utilize online blogs or anything else if I can't actually have materials in my hand.

I have used WWE with Bravewriter. And recently I added Killgallon for my oldest. He loves it. I've actually put WWE1 away until next year because I felt my 1st grader needed more work with spelling/reading and the WWE copywork was over his head. And rather than finish WWE4 (he was so close) my oldest has been working with Killgallon. I'm not even going to bother with WWE at that stage when my dd is older.

I don't like finding my own copywork/dictation and I wanted more than the 4 passages available in Arrow guides. I love Arrow guides, but WWE gave my oldest something else, some variety. I think WWE by itself is terribly dull. We were doing that until I added Bravewriter. But now, having something that is more interesting to do as well, makes WWE bearable. Bravewriter is our spine, WWE is a resource.

I'm the same way. I really want it all in one place so I don't have to go searching online when I'm looking for something specific and so I can take my own notes. I do love that she makes so much free though so if people are willing to take the time they can find all the information. Love, love, love that.

This year we did WWE as our spine and JiT as a supplement but now I'm thinking of swapping and using JiT as the spine and WWE in place of the Wand. I love these two programs and that I can switch back and forth so easily from year to year and from child to child. 

I'd really love to try the Wand but I don't think it's going to fit in our budget this year.

Thanks! I agree if I like someone's work I don't mind supporting it and paying for their resources so it's all in ine place and I don't have to search for specific things I need or want to use in the future because if it's not in front of me I will probably forget! I'm okay with phonics/spelling/grammar just mainly looking for a writing program. I may get a few of the arrow guides in the future just to see what they're all about. I'm really excited to use this, wwe is a wonderful program, but ugh I don't know if I could use it with two more kids! Haha! I know for sure it would drive dd crazy. I really like how BW wants you to incorporate it everyday life, not just while studying that subject that's how we like to study math as well and incorporate it through out our day and lives.

I just recently got TWJ and while I loved it, I can see that there isn't much my DD5 can use since the act of physically writing is still so tiring for her.  I got JiD and hope to use that as our spine.  However, I did get some of the Arrow back issues to try them out, as her reading is much more advanced than her writing, and I am just modifying it for her level, but still being able to use the copywork, etc and discuss writing and grammar in the books that she is reading.  BTW, HS Buyer's Co-op does have discounted copies of the ebooks, as well as a sets of 5 issues of the Arrow (which I think are great to give it a try rather than just the one sample) and you can pick from their large list of books.

I had never heard of this - I though BW was for older kids.. Like 3rd grade and up. It says Jot in Down would be for an advanced first grader... What does that mean????

I'm resisting the urge to compulsively buy new exciting curriculum, and am sticking with WWE for 1st with WriteShop Primary mixed in. I'm not using the WWE workbook, but instead the TG, and then am trying to develop my own work list from literature that corresponds to our historical period - so it's not so disconnected with little snippets from different literature as someone mentioned. That's my summer project :-) and I'm hitting up my hubby who has a PhD in English/Creative writing to help his poor right brained wife out.

But goodness, this Bravewriter program looks awesome....

WahM, I like to read on the iPad, I mark things up on it using Notability, so the PDF was greatly preferred for me.  But other people like to have a physical copy for those same purposes.

I had never heard of this - I though BW was for older kids.. Like 3rd grade and up. It says Jot in Down would be for an advanced first grader... What does that mean????

I'm resisting the urge to compulsively buy new exciting curriculum, and am sticking with WWE for 1st with WriteShop Primary mixed in. I'm not using the WWE workbook, but instead the TG, and then am trying to develop my own work list from literature that corresponds to our historical period - so it's not so disconnected with little snippets from different literature as someone mentioned. That's my summer project :-) and I'm hitting up my hubby who has a PhD in English/Creative writing to help his poor right brained wife out.

But goodness, this Bravewriter program looks awesome....

I think BW is sold sort of weird, though they've updated the website and now that there are more options for what to get, it's slightly clearer (or less clear possibly...  the program is pretty freeform and that makes it hard to know what to do with it exactly for many people).  They used to say it was 3rd and up, but now they don't.  The Writer's Jungle gives a picture of writing from early childhood through high school, and is basically a manual for you to teach.  While the vast majority of the advice in there and the specific exercises to try and so forth are all for 3rd or 4th grade and up, I think most people want to know where you're going by the time kids are a certain age.  And people feel uneasy not having a "program" or at least a plan for writing by 2nd grade, I find.

If you're interested in the BW philosophy, read her blog posts and follow her on FB or Twitter.  Jot It Down is not that expensive (it's at HSBC as well).  It can be coupled with WWE, IMO, because they cover very different writing elements.  The whole BW "lifestyle" is for creating various routines for doing things like copywork and narration.  But these newer products for the stages of writing like Jot It Down are for doing "writing projects" which you're supposed to do once a month in BW lifestyle.  It's something that's more focused on creative writing or play with words so it's very different from WWE but could go alongside it pretty well.