Menu

eIMACS Computer Science sequence?

Dd took the eIMACS placement test, and we are super excited about signing up for the courses.  I'm still fuzzy on the progression, though.  Is there a typical sequence for the 3 Computer Science courses?  The instructor we spoke with suggested that dd begin with UCS1, after which she would be ready for either AP or UCS2.  Have any of you done this?  Or do most people do UCS1, UCS2, and then AP?  Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Dd took the eIMACS placement test, and we are super excited about signing up for the courses.  I'm still fuzzy on the progression, though.  Is there a typical sequence for the 3 Computer Science courses?  The instructor we spoke with suggested that dd begin with UCS1, after which she would be ready for either AP or UCS2.  Have any of you done this?  Or do most people do UCS1, UCS2, and then AP?  Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Fwiw, my freshman, who is thinking about majoring in computer science, has taken UCS1, is now enrolled in UCS2, and will take the AP class next year.

My junior, who is not going to be majoring in computer science, has completed UCS1 and will take the AP class next year.

EIMAC'S AP Comp Sci course is excellent and goes well beyond what is needed for the AP. They are more thorough than what you'd find in a good, typical high school AP comp sci course. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Jumping right into their AP course could be a bit too intense for some students which is why they recommend taking UCS1 first. My son's high school prefers to do that, too.

Thank you both!   :001_wub:   This is just what I was hoping to hear.  She is only a freshman now, so I'm thinking UCS1, UCS2, and then AP.  She thought the placement test was a lot of fun, so I'm hoping she loves the course.  Math logic looks awesome too, but we may have to fit that in during a summer.

My son enjoyed eIMACS a lot. They gave feedback quickly and clearly answered any questions he had. He started with Math Logic 1 which is also very good.

MBM, would you recommend the Math Logic series for someone interested in computer science?  How did the math logic courses compare, time-wise, to the university computer science courses?

MBM, would you recommend the Math Logic series for someone interested in computer science?  How did the math logic courses compare, time-wise, to the university computer science courses?

Yes. I just asked my son what he thought, and he said the Math Logic 1 class did help him with his AP Comp Sci class.

I would say both classes took about the same time. AP Comp Sci might have taken a little more. My son spent about 4-5 hours per day on Math Logic 1 and finished it in a summer; however, he didn't realize he could have spent more time on it which is why he finished so fast. LOL.

HTH. :)