Menu

Are there any chicken farmers here?

Hikin' Mama

I have no idea really.  We had a chicken that limped for 2 years.  The others didnt' pick on her and she seemed to get around OK and looked healthy so we let her go.  We weren't going to pay a vet bill, etc. for a chicken.  Eventually we "rehomed" her.

I have no idea really. We had a chicken that limped for 2 years. The others didnt' pick on her and she seemed to get around OK and looked healthy so we let her go. We weren't going to pay a vet bill, etc. for a chicken. Eventually we "rehomed" her.

I agree. I don't want to pay a vet bill for a chicken, either. She can actually hop pretty darn fast on her good leg! :)

)

It is hard to say without seeing what is wrong with her, and as long as she is getting around she will likely be ok, but you can check this website for more info. They have a whole section on poultry podiatry.

Thanks for that site! Looks like a wealth of info. I really know nothing about chickens, as these were my son's. He asked me to take care of them when he went to college. I've had no problems up to now, except for the neighbor's dogs. : (

It could be several things. Hopefully it's a fluke injury that resolves itself. Bumblefoot is a possibility, but you likely would have seen something on the underside of the foot if that were the case. Another possibility is Mareks disease; it can cause paralysis that usually presents on the left side (tho not always). It usually starts with one leg affected. They'll stand with the left leg further back than the right, then drag and/or limp. Eventually the wing will start to droop, too. It is almost always fatal and is highly contagious. If you suspect it, separate the affected bird immediately and you *might* avoid it spreading to others. It is spread by air via dander of carrier birds.