Menu

Help: Dog Walking Side Walk Issue

mom2bee

I walk from campus to the bus station after school. There are usually a few people out with their dogs during this time but one guy in particular walks his dog sans leash and the dog, 80% of the time, will run up to me and lick, jump up, sniff around me, bark etc. I do not feel comfortable around dogs (not afraid, per se, but uncomfortable) this is a smallish dog. I don't know why small dogs make me nervous, but they always have. I'm calmer around medium to large dogs than I am the small ones, but I don't get up and intimate with any dog, really.

I hate this mans dog. I really, really do. I have asked the guy to restrain his dog. I have crossed the street to avoid the dog (which sprints over to me anyway) I have stood still and waited while the man and his dog pass (the dog still roams over towards me). I have told the man that I don't really like dogs and can he please hold his dog.

In the beginning when I asked the owner to get his dog, he did it but with a snippy attitude. A couple of weeks later when the dog was jumping up at my knees I asked the guy to get his dog and he just rolled his eyes and told me "Just ignore him." and after that when I asked him to hold his dog he said "No, he's friendly, he's not bothering you. Just keep moving--its not like he's going to follow you home."

When I explained to the owner that I'm really not comfortable around dogs he was utterly nonchallant and "whatever" about it. As if I'm over reacting. "My dog has never bitten anyone, Fido is fine. We're minding our business, we live here, etc, etc, etc.."

I am sick and tired of this dog. I really and truly am. The dog owner is probably a student (I believe he lives in the student apartments in the area) and this is their neighborhood, but I have to pass through to get home and I am on foot. The owner is usually on his phone or texting while his dog roams around the street. The dog will come when he calls it, but I always have to ask him to please call his stupid dog and the owner is getting a real attitude about my not liking his dog. I don't want this dog on me, sniffing around me, jumping on me.

Is there something I can spray at or on the dog to make the dog want to avoid me? I'm not wanting pepper spray or anything like that, as the dog is not aggressive and it is cute--from a distance--and relatively small so I wouldn't want to kick it or anything like that lest I hurt it or it bite me. However I am really and truly sick and tired of this animals antics and the owners "whatever" attitude.

Is there anything that I can do? Or do I have to just suck it up?

Could you maybe carry a good spray bottle of water and give it to Fido when he wanders to close?

(Personally in this situation: I'd pepper spray the animal, but I'm confrontational like that)

If there are leash laws, call the appropriate agency.

We used this thing when we were briefly in a rental: Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent by Pet-Agree http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IBRI2Y/ We couldn't alter the chain-link fence or plant anything to screen, and the neighbors had these unhinged Jack Russell terrier-type dogs that lived outside and would charge the fence, stand up on it, and bark ferociously at the kids. We tried talking to the neighbors (hey, can we "meet" your dogs with you so maybe they won't bark at us?) but there was a language barrier and we got nowhere. I found that and ordered out of desperation. It worked. I kept it in my pocket, didn't pull it out and obviously point it. I only had to use it a couple of times. They looked puzzled and went to the other side of the yard, then ignored us after a few days. The reviews say it only works on some dogs. My old doggie girl could not hear it or it did not phase her. Not even an ear wiggle from her.

Edited: I wouldn't depend on that thing for an actual vicious dog. It sounds like this one is annoying and untrained (RUDE owner!), not teeth-bared attacking.

In theory: yes. It does. I have never seen them envoked or anything.

Perhaps they've never really enforced it because they've never had anyone bothered before. But you are well within your rights to do something in this situation. I love dogs, have three of them myself. But this owner is being very irresponsible. If I were in your shoes, I would start by calling animal control and explaining the situation. See what they have to say. I hope they will take care of it. If not, arm yourself with a water gun. It won't hurt the dog, but will most likely get the point across to him that bothering you is not worthwhile.

If there are leash laws, call the appropriate agency.

Does the dog have to be out for them to act? The dog isn't unsupervised or aggressive towards me, I just am sick and tired of it.

Plus, I have to WALK through this area several times a week, I'm not looking to make enemies with a much larger person who I don't know. (With the whole Stand Your Ground Law in FL, I would hate to be shot or killed over something so stupid escalating.)

We used this thing when we were briefly in a rental: Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent by Pet-Agree http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IBRI2Y/ We couldn't alter the chain-link fence or plant anything to screen, and the neighbors had these unhinged Jack Russell terrier-type dogs that lived outside and would charge the fence, stand up on it, and bark ferociously at the kids. We tried talking to the neighbors (hey, can we "meet" your dogs with you so maybe they won't bark at us?) but there was a language barrier and we got nowhere. I found that and ordered out of desperation. It worked. I kept it in my pocket, didn't pull it out and obviously point it. I only had to use it a couple of times. They looked puzzled and went to the other side of the yard, then ignored us after a few days. The reviews say it only works on some dogs. My old doggie girl could not hear it or it did not phase her. Not even an ear wiggle from her.

Definitely worth looking into, though its expensive (for me, anyway). But I like that its subtle! Some reviews says that it doesn't work on small dogs so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited: I wouldn't depend on that thing for an actual vicious dog. It sounds like this one is annoying and untrained (RUDE owner!), not teeth-bared attacking.

How about carrying some awful perfume? Spray only if the dog touches you. He'll have to smell it all through his apartment or give the dog a bath daily. It'll turn into more bother than controlling his dog. :-)

lol, not a bad idea. Any suggestions?

Perhaps they've never really enforced it because they've never had anyone bothered before. But you are well within your rights to do something in this situation. I love dogs, have three of them myself. But this owner is being very irresponsible. If I were in your shoes, I would start by calling animal control and explaining the situation. See what they have to say. I hope they will take care of it. If not, arm yourself with a water gun. It won't hurt the dog, but will most likely get the point across to him that bothering you is not worthwhile.

I'll give 'em a call this afternoon.

A squirt gun with 50/50 vinegar - water will irritate, but not harm-- much like the dog currently does.

Come to think of it, I don't know that a squirt gun is a good idea (since I'm coming from school and the policies on stuff is ridiculous) but I would like something stronger than water. Thanks for the suggestion.

I use this with my cat when she gets too close to the back door after dark (where she would be dinner if she escaped)

I would call animal control, let them know the time this is happening and hope they'll show up and at least give the owner a warning (hopefully a ticket).

My second choice would be a water gun with plain water.

I wouldn't use vinegar.  If it accidentally gets in the dog's eyes it will be painful.  This is the owner's fault, not the dog's fault.  For the same reason I wouldn't consider spraying the dog with perfume.  That's horrendously punitive to a dog given their keen sense of smell.  Again, IMO this is the owner's fault, not the dog's.

I am sick and tired of this dog. I really and truly am. The dog owner is probably a student (I believe he lives in the student apartments in the area) and this is their neighborhood, but I have to pass through to get home and I am on foot. The owner is usually on his phone or texting while his dog roams around the street. The dog will come when he calls it, but I always have to ask him to please call his stupid dog and the owner is getting a real attitude about my not liking his dog. I don't want this dog on me, sniffing around me, jumping on me.

This situation really stinks.  I would hate to suggest something and then have the rude creep do something to you because of what you did to his dog.  I'm not sure what would even happen if you called Animal Control...I doubt that a phone call from you would have them rushing to the scene.  You could always call the campus housing office and complain, but again,  we don't know what the creep would do since he'll assume the complaint came from you.

I would be afraid to spray anything at his dog.  The only thing I can think of to give you a "shield" from the dog is to open an umbrella and hold it sideways, near the ground, as a shield when you're walking by.  But, who knows, the dog might think it's all a big game and enjoy the attention from you since his stupid owner can't be separated from his life support devices for even a few minutes. 

If you can't bring a squirt gun, how about a water bottle that you can squeeze and aim.  That could be just as effective.  I would definitely call and report the animal not on a leash, though.  I am a dog lover and own a dog.  It drives me nuts to see other dogs not on leash - some I simply don't trust and others entice my dog to misbehave (which can be painful if he lunges on the leash.) 

Okay, thought about it some more and knee jerk reaction aside--is there an alternate route that you could take?

Or maybe you can carry a baggy of dog treats and toss one away from you so that the dog goes for the treat instead of you? (I don't know dogs at all, so someone let me know if this is a bad idea.) Maybe if you take the time to pat the dog and redirect him, you can train him to a 10 second exchange instead of a 3 minute one?

Okay, thought about it some more and knee jerk reaction aside--is there an alternate route that you could take?

Or maybe you can carry a baggy of dog treats and toss one away from you so that the dog goes for the treat instead of you? (I don't know dogs at all, so someone let me know if this is a bad idea.) Maybe if you take the time to pat the dog and redirect him, you can train him to a 10 second exchange instead of a 3 minute one?

I will chime in to say that she would then be the "treat lady" and she would be a direct target afterwards

There is, but it will take me waaay out of my way and I'd miss my bus connection and it would throw my daily schedule off by nearly 2hrs. Literally.

Or maybe you can carry a baggy of dog treats and toss one away from you so that the dog goes for the treat instead of you? (I don't know dogs at all, so someone let me know if this is a bad idea.) Maybe if you take the time to pat the dog and redirect him, you can train him to a 10 second exchange instead of a 3 minute one? <--This is just asking for the stupid thing to follow me home. NEVER feed an animal unless you are trying to encourage it to stay/follow/come back regularly.

So if you walk across the street, the dog crosses the street to come see you?

That's how dogs get run over. Terribly irresponsible pet owner.

This sounds horrible, but I don't care in the least if that thing gets run over, however it is really unlikely. It is a lovely little canopy through-way.  It is a really quiet street as far as vehicles are concerned. The area is within walking distance of 2 major universities, a bar, bus stops, restaurants and the frat houses are mostly on this street. I'm sure its loud at night/the evening, but during the day it is peaceful and quiet with very few cars.

I walk from campus to the bus station after school. There are usually a few people out with their dogs during this time but one guy in particular walks his dog sans leash and the dog, 80% of the time, will run up to me and lick, jump up, sniff around me, bark etc. I do not feel comfortable around dogs (not afraid, per se, but uncomfortable) this is a smallish dog. I don't know why small dogs make me nervous, but they always have. I'm calmer around medium to large dogs than I am the small ones, but I don't get up and intimate with any dog, really.

I hate this mans dog. I really, really do. I have asked the guy to restrain his dog. I have crossed the street to avoid the dog (which sprints over to me anyway) I have stood still and waited while the man and his dog pass (the dog still roams over towards me). I have told the man that I don't really like dogs and can he please hold his dog.

In the beginning when I asked the owner to get his dog, he did it but with a snippy attitude. A couple of weeks later when the dog was jumping up at my knees I asked the guy to get his dog and he just rolled his eyes and told me "Just ignore him." and after that when I asked him to hold his dog he said "No, he's friendly, he's not bothering you. Just keep moving--its not like he's going to follow you home."

When I explained to the owner that I'm really not comfortable around dogs he was utterly nonchallant and "whatever" about it. As if I'm over reacting. "My dog has never bitten anyone, Fido is fine. We're minding our business, we live here, etc, etc, etc.."

Is there something I can spray at or on the dog to make the dog want to avoid me? I'm not wanting pepper spray or anything like that, as the dog is not aggressive and it is cute--from a distance--and relatively small so I wouldn't want to kick it or anything like that lest I hurt it or it bite me. However I am really and truly sick and tired of this animals antics and the owners "whatever" attitude.

Is there anything that I can do? Or do I have to just suck it up?

Yes! It is a citronella spray, they don't like it, but it doesn't hurt them. http://www.amazon.com/SprayShield-Animal-Deterrent-Spray-Belt/dp/B0002XKIV6

Honestly, I would probably kick the dog (hard enough to convey my message but not hard enough to cause permanent harm) or spray it with a pepper spray.  The guy isn't going to get it and there is no reason you should have to tolerate an uncontrolled dog bothering you while you walk.  Either will piss the owner off but it sounds like that is what it will take in this situation, you already tried to be nice.  (and neither will do any long term harm to the dog)

Umm, you could seriously injure a little dog with a kick that would deliver the message....so I wouldn't go there.

I'd call animal control and ask what you can do legally. Ask if you can pepper spray it or spray it with something else (citronella or whatever).

I suppose you can warn the owner--"Sir, I've tried to talk with you in the past about your dog, and you don't seem to be getting the message. I do NOT want your dog to run up to me and interact. I want to warn you that I will be carrying citronella spray and WILL USE IT next time your dog is off leash and touches me."

But IDK, honestly, if I'd do this as I'd probably be afraid of the confrontation.

My first response is to use a spray bottle with vinegar water to dissuade the dog. But if the owner is that jerky he might try to report you for animal cruelty or something, so I would call animal control first to see what your options are - and document who you talk to and what they say.

Maybe you can buy or borrow a dog whistle.  They are a bit painful for the dog and would make him run away without hurting him.  It would also train the dog, and others to stay away from you if every time it ran at you the whistle was blown.  Get one marked as a dog repellant.  

Can you carry a backpack or something and be prepared to put it between you and the dog?

This is a tough situation.

I do carry a backpack since I'm coming from school but it has $$$ materials inside--textbooks, laptop--and it is in rough condition already--hole in the bottom, broken strap--and I'm not willing to use against the little mini-mongrel, lest I risk damaging my stuff.

I like the idea of a dog whistle. I didn't know that they made a whistle to repel dogs. I will look into that.

I do carry a backpack since I'm coming from school but it has $$$ materials inside--textbooks, laptop--and it is in rough condition already--hold in the bottom, broken strap--and I'm not willing to use against the little mini-mongrel, lest I risk damaging my stuff.

I like the idea of a dog whistle. I didn't know that they made a whistle to repel dogs. I will look into that.

Oops...forgot about laptops...

In the olden days we only carried massive books!

:)

Carry a cheap umbrella, one you don't care if it does get trashed.  As it runs towards you open it.  Hopefully it will scare the dog away.  If not you can use it to sheild you from the dog, pushing the dog away.  If you are lucky, the dog will end up being scared of umbrellas.  If the guy says anything to you simply tell him you have asked him before to control his dog.  You have told him you are uncomfortable about the dog.  You are now protecting yoursellf, as well as your pant legs from muddy paw prints. 

Carry a cheap umbrella, one you don't care if it does get trashed.  As it runs towards you open it.  Hopefully it will scare the dog away.  If not you can use it to sheild you from the dog, pushing the dog away.  If you are lucky, the dog will end up being scared of umbrellas.  If the guy says anything to you simply tell him you have asked him before to control his dog.  You have told him you are uncomfortable about the dog.  You are now protecting yoursellf, as well as your pant legs from muddy paw prints. 

I like this idea a whole lot better than spraying the dog with something.  If you spray the dog, you may be seen as the instigator of the incident.  Somehow, to me, the umbrella seems more of a self-defense reaction than an instigation.

Could you maybe carry a good spray bottle of water and give it to Fido when he wanders to close?

(Personally in this situation: I'd pepper spray the animal, but I'm confrontational like that)

It is not fair for the dog to suffer for the owners unwillingness to control his dog.

How about carrying some awful perfume? Spray only if the dog touches you. He'll have to smell it all through his apartment or give the dog a bath daily. It'll turn into more bother than controlling his dog. :-)

That is evil! :) When my sons were little, I used "chemical warfare" when they wouldn't get out of bed for homeschool. I would go in their room with room freshener spray (that I really loved) and spray it in their room if they didn't get up in time. Didn't have to resort to chemical warfare too often!

It is not fair for the dog to suffer for the owners unwillingness to control his dog.

Except Fido isn't suffering. *I* am. It has literally been months and I am sick and tired of this stupid animal and his stupid owner.

I wont hurt the dog of course, but there are many instances when I would like to. *sigh*. They usually alter the bus routes in the summer so maybe something will happen and I'll be able to take an alternate route/catch a different bus.

Is it common for dogs to be afraid of umbrellas? I already have one that fits in my backpack and I carry it about 80% of the time anyway (This is FL. We have Schizo-weather.) so this is an option that doesn't require I buy anything else. I'll probably try this and let you know if it works.

Is it common for dogs to be afraid of umbrellas? I already have one that fits in my backpack and I carry it about 80% of the time anyway (This is FL. We have Schizo-weather.) so this is an option that doesn't require I buy anything else. I'll probably try this and let you know if it works.

It's not uncommon.  Especially if you have a push-button umbrella and can make it pop open at just the right time for maximum startle effect.

You need to notify both animal control and the police. File a formal complaint, because this IS assault. Tell them where and when this happens, and how long it has been going on. The authorities can't do anything if they don't know this is occurring, so go tell them.

Except Fido isn't suffering. *I* am. It has literally been months and I am sick and tired of this stupid animal and his stupid owner.

I wont hurt the dog of course, but there are many instances when I would like to. *sigh*. They usually alter the bus routes in the summer so maybe something will happen and I'll be able to take an alternate route/catch a different bus.

Sorry I was not clear. I was referring to Gil's suggestion to pepper spray the dog. That in my opinion is cruel.  I think you have been putting up with this for too long.  If you can't file a complaint with animal control. I would if you are comfortable. Take the dog between the shoulders  and say NO sharply.  After a few days he will get it and leave you alone.

Easy to say if you are not afraid of dogs.

True very true! She seems more annoyed than afraid though. I guess I just don't wanna waste time on people like that. He is rude, he will stay rude and I doubt much is going to change it. Even if she makes a complaint they have to see it happening. Is she going to call police every single time the dog comes near her? By the time they get there the dog will be gone. To me unless the dog was aggressive it just wouldn't be worth my time.

Carry a cheap umbrella, one you don't care if it does get trashed. As it runs towards you open it. Hopefully it will scare the dog away. If not you can use it to sheild you from the dog, pushing the dog away. If you are lucky, the dog will end up being scared of umbrellas. If the guy says anything to you simply tell him you have asked him before to control his dog. You have told him you are uncomfortable about the dog. You are now protecting yoursellf, as well as your pant legs from muddy paw prints.

Love this idea. I used one of those umbrellas where you push the button and it pops open suddenly on the neighbor dog when it escaped from their yard and was barking and snapping at me when I tried to exit my car. Dog went running when it popped open!

This almost seems like a crazy idea, but is there something that I can spray on me to make the dog want to avoid me?

I guess if I can't spray the little mongrel then maybe I can repel him...

Clearly I wouldn't want anything that stinks or is too offensive to human sensibilities because I have to 1) walk in the heat with this stuff on and 2) ride a couple of buses with a couple dozen people with this stuff on. So I don't want to suffer too much...I usually wash up and change within a few minutes of arriving home anyway so that should not be a huge deal.

I am really sick and tired of this stupid man and his stupid dog. I'm going to give the umbrella a try, but I'd like a back up. I wish I could by a jar of skunk smell and just dump it on the dog one time and be rid of him...

This almost seems like a crazy idea, but is there something that I can spray on me to make the dog want to avoid me?

I guess if I can't spray the little mongrel then maybe I can repel him...

Clearly I wouldn't want anything that stinks or is too offensive to human sensibilities because I have to 1) walk in the heat with this stuff on and 2) ride a couple of buses with a couple dozen people with this stuff on. So I don't want to suffer too much...I usually wash up and change within a few minutes of arriving home anyway so that should not be a huge deal.

I am really sick and tired of this stupid man and his stupid dog. I'm going to give the umbrella a try, but I'd like a back up. I wish I could by a jar of skunk smell and just dump it on the dog one time and be rid of him...

No, but that citronella spray I linked earlier would repel him. It doesn't have to get ON him. And it honestly does NOT hurt the dog, doesn't burn the eyes, etc. Just stinks funny and makes the dog go "huh?'

You can try carrying an empty soda can with a handful of pennies in it, then tape it shut. It acts as a noisy rattler, and can be very aversive to many animals. Also, a spray bottle with water in it is surprisingly aversive to most dogs and cats. Spray at their face. Shake can. Say a loud NO! Even just a fierce NO and then you turning your BACK to the dog will work in 90% of situations you describe. Dogs take eye contact or physical contact as a reward, so turning your face away and giving the dog your back will dissuade most from approaching you. Couple that with a loud NO! and you'd likely solve the problem in just a few interactions.

Citronella spray is safe and a great idea.

Alternatively, I think you are well within your rights to carry and use pepper spray. The dog is off leash and bothering you. You've asked the owner to be thoughtful. If nothing else, you can buy it, carry it, and show it to the owner, telling him that you are afraid of his dog, and you will use this, and he will have a big vet bill, and his dog will be in pain, and that will be on him. Not a fun conversation, though . . .

FWIW, I am a dog lover and have several and even run with one off leash regularly. (He is trained very well to run off leash, and obediently heels on my RIGHT side when instructed, which is really helpful since it keeps me between him and approaching bikes/runner/walkers . . . ) However, I also carry pepper spray for others' bad dogs. I haven't used it yet, but I'd do it if I needed to. I'm not afraid of dogs, so I wouldn't be bothered by the dog you describe, though.

IMHO, you'd be best served in the long run by getting over your fear of a friendly dog. You live in a culture and community that will always expose you to people's friendly dogs . . . and some not as friendly. If you can do some work on yourself to get over your fear, you'd be happier. If it's not this dog, it will be another one. You have a long life to live, so I'd want to eliminate an (unreasonable, unhelpful) fear that was stressing me out and making my life more difficult. You can find puppies to play with or babysit a friend's nice dog.  . . or volunteer as a dog walker in a shelter . . . See a counselor for a few sessions if needed. Or read some self-help book on fears. Honestly, in the end, this would be so much better for you. You could even start by carrying treats and giving the friendly little dog a treat when you see him. 

You can try carrying an empty soda can with a handful of pennies in it, then tape it shut. It acts as a noisy rattler, and can be very aversive to many animals. Also, a spray bottle with water in it is surprisingly aversive to most dogs and cats. Spray at their face. Shake can. Say a loud NO! Even just a fierce NO and then you turning your BACK to the dog will work in 90% of situations you describe. Dogs take eye contact or physical contact as a reward, so turning your face away and giving the dog your back will dissuade most from approaching you. Couple that with a loud NO! and you'd likely solve the problem in just a few interactions.

Alternatively, I think you are well within your rights to carry and use pepper spray. The dog is off leash and bothering you. You've asked the owner to be thoughtful. If nothing else, you can buy it, carry it, and show it to the owner, telling him that you are afraid of his dog, and you will use this, and he will have a big vet bill, and his dog will be in pain, and that will be on him. Not a fun conversation, though . . .

FWIW, I am a dog lover and have several and even run with one off leash regularly. (He is trained very well to run off leash, and obediently heels on my RIGHT side when instructed, which is really helpful since it keeps me between him and approaching bikes/runner/walkers . . . ) However, I also carry pepper spray for others' bad dogs. I haven't used it yet, but I'd do it if I needed to. I'm not afraid of dogs, so I wouldn't be bothered by the dog you describe, though.

IMHO, you'd be best served in the long run by getting over your fear of a friendly dog. You live in a culture and community that will always expose you to people's friendly dogs . . . and some not as friendly. If you can do some work on yourself to get over your fear, you'd be happier. If it's not this dog, it will be another one. You have a long life to live, so I'd want to eliminate an (unreasonable, unhelpful) fear that was stressing me out and making my life more difficult. You can find puppies to play with or babysit a friend's nice dog. . . or volunteer as a dog walker in a shelter . . . See a counselor for a few sessions if needed. Or read some self-help book on fears. Honestly, in the end, this would be so much better for you. You could even start by carrying treats and giving the friendly little dog a treat when you see him.

No. I'm not afraid of dogs but I don't like them. I would find this situation intolerable and it is not the OP's responsibility to learn to enjoy dog slobber.

No. I'm not afraid of dogs but I don't like them. I would find this situation intolerable and it is not the OP's responsibility to learn to enjoy dog slobber.

Of course not, and I told OP that she was well within her rights to use pepper spray, etc. It is a simple fact, though, that the owner in question is obviously not responsive to his responsibilities, and that this is not going to be the last dog OP runs into in this way. 

I am just living in the real world, not my ideal world, and in my real world, I find it more helpful to change myself than to change others. That's why I offered a list of possible things OP could do. If I had a fear or strong aversion to something common and personally not under my control (as dogs are in most of the US), then I would find it useful to change that aversion or fear rather than spend my life stressing about things I can't successfully control or reliably avoid. And, in my world, dogs are everywhere, and unless I wanted to spend my life locked in my own house or car, I'd be really unhappy if every time a friendly dog approached me it made me stressed. 

I'll try this next. The little mongrel really though that the umbrella was great. I am getting fed up with this animal and his beastly-owner.

I'm really not interested in any more interaction with the owner. I get a bad vibe from him and I prefer to just leave him alone since he's not interested in interacting with me respectfully or walking his dog responsibly.

Carrying any sort of offensive-agent is complicated by the fact that I am coming from school where no such weapons, mock-weapons, etc are tolerated. I really don't even want to risk burning and hurting myself (or the little mutt) with chemical sprays though. I was maced in an accident as a child and it left a big impact.

IMHO, you'd be best served in the long run by getting over your fear of a friendly dog. You live in a culture and community that will always expose you to people's friendly dogs . . . and some not as friendly. If you can do some work on yourself to get over your fear, you'd be happier. If it's not this dog, it will be another one. You have a long life to live, so I'd want to eliminate an (unreasonable, unhelpful) fear that was stressing me out and making my life more difficult. You can find puppies to play with or babysit a friend's nice dog.  . . or volunteer as a dog walker in a shelter . . . See a counselor for a few sessions if needed. Or read some self-help book on fears. Honestly, in the end, this would be so much better for you. You could even start by carrying treats and giving the friendly little dog a treat when you see him. 

This is excellent advice and I really appreciate the sentiment and the practicality in your advice, but I'm not the least bit interested in spending more time with other peoples dogs. I am especially irritated with Fido and his owner so I won't be feeding this dog. But you are right about the 'if not now then later" bit and if the dog were habitually intruding upon my personal property due to the owners neglect, I'd be able to take more permanent means of getting rid of it (the tiny-cement-boots-kind of permanent ;p) but I do see the value in your advice. This, I will think about also.

Guest submarines

Easy to say if you are not afraid of dogs.

The OP stated she wasn't afraid of dogs or of this dog. She said she was uncomfortable and hated the dog. To me this seems like too much emotional involvement and drama over a very short interaction with a very small dog a couple of times a week.