Menu

Taking multiple CLEP exams?

Susan in TN

Ds is thinking about taking 2 or 3 CLEP exams to help free up his college schedule to double major. We have the U's list of accepted CLEP exams and it looks like he could get credit for several different general ed. courses.

We have glanced over instantcert.com for study materials - he feels he definitely needs to study for the exams. But I am not sure how the tests are scheduled if you plan to take more than one. Would he schedule them all for one day or over a couple days and study for all 3 at once? Or would he schedule them a week or two apart and study for them individually?

Any other recommendations?

One more question - ds will already have 12 credits going in as a freshman; should he be concerned about having too many credits as an incoming freshman? Would it be wise to take 2 this summer and 2 before his sophomore year?

I would contact the testing center at his school to ask if they have a recommendation for how to stack multiple courses. I wouldn't advice taking all 3 on the same day, but I don't see why studying for 2 or 3 at a time should be particularly troublesome. After all you study multiple subjects at a time anyway.

I say study for 2 or 3 at a time, then take one a week so that there is time for deep revision between exams unless he is very confident that he'll do well.

Ds is thinking about taking 2 or 3 CLEP exams to help free up his college schedule to double major. We have the U's list of accepted CLEP exams and it looks like he could get credit for several different general ed. courses.

We have glanced over instantcert.com for study materials - he feels he definitely needs to study for the exams. But I am not sure how the tests are scheduled if you plan to take more than one. Would he schedule them all for one day or over a couple days and study for all 3 at once? Or would he schedule them a week or two apart and study for them individually?

Any other recommendations?

One more question - ds will already have 12 credits going in as a freshman; should he be concerned about having too many credits as an incoming freshman? Would it be wise to take 2 this summer and 2 before his sophomore year?

At my son's college, once you are a student, you cannot take CLEP exams. I just want to let you know to make sure he can still take the exams after he starts classes.

You really need to check with the particular university about most of the questions; there is a WIDE range of what schools do and don't allow.

I don't know if any allow testing out once you are enrolled as a student. 

When you say he will already have 12 credits going in - do you mean in addition to possible CLEPS? I would talk to someone directly about the incoming freshman issue; again, it varies from school to school, and, even within a school, it can vary depending on the type of credit. For example, at our state's flagship university, they have a limit on credits for incoming freshman, except for dual enrollment credit. They will accept any amount of DE credit and still consider you as an incoming freshman. 

At my school certain CLEPs are accepted before or after being admitted as a student. There are also some departmental test outs that are university specific, you might check those as well. 

I plan on taking at least one CLEP and ds will do at least one. I ordered this study guide as a starting point. Saylor.org is another place that some full courses online that might help with CLEP prep. 

You really need to check with the particular university about most of the questions; there is a WIDE range of what schools do and don't allow.

I don't know if any allow testing out once you are enrolled as a student.

When you say he will already have 12 credits going in - do you mean in addition to possible CLEPS? I would talk to someone directly about the incoming freshman issue; again, it varies from school to school, and, even within a school, it can vary depending on the type of credit. For example, at our state's flagship university, they have a limit on credits for incoming freshman, except for dual enrollment credit. They will accept any amount of DE credit and still consider you as an incoming freshman.

Yes in addition to possible CLEPs - he will have 6 dual enrollment credits (no, that might actually 12 - I didn't count Spanish since its not required for his major) and 6 credits for freshman English / composition from his ACT/SAT scores.

Thank you - we have a lot more questions for admissions now!

Susan:

In addition to checking on when/how many CLEPS can be taken, also check the university's policy on # of credits and freshman status. Some schools limit the total credits a student can come in as a freshman -- often just 23 credits -- some as few as 12. When a school has this type of policy, it means that a student coming in with more credits than the maximum is no longer considered a freshman, but is considered a transfer student.

This is extremely important if you will be relying on scholarships --  as the majority of scholarships (esp. *renewable* -- i.e. 4-year scholarships) are awarded to *freshmen*. There are far fewer money awards to transfer students, and not as many are *renewable*.

So in cases where a university has a very limiting freshman credit policy, you might save some money on the front end with some CLEPS and dual enrollment -- but lose out on the really big money by now being ineligible for freshman scholarships.

A majority of schools do NOT have such limiting policies, but it's a REALLY good idea to check in advance if you know what schools DS will be applying to, so you don't end up with any very unhappy financial surprises later on.

BEST of luck in your CLEP-ing and dual enrollment adventures! Warmest regards, Lori D.

If ds has taken US History and econ and wants to take the CLEP tests, what resources would you recommend his reviewing with? He isn't planning on much review.

Our public library has the CollegeBoard CLEP study book - the 2014 edition as well as several previous years, so that might be a good resource. I am also looking at InstantCert.com which is only $20 for month of access to online study materials (flash cards) and a study forum for every test they cover. It seems like a good deal to me.

Huh, I thought I posted this an hour ago, but evidently not.

I called admissions this morning and here's what they told me about freshman status and CLEPs. At this university, a student can come in with up to 29 credits and still be considered a freshman.

They have a specific list of 20 CLEP tests and corresponding courses that they will grant credit for with a certain score. They will also accept tests taken at any time and for as many as the student wishes to take.

So it looks like ds can take a couple CLEPs this summer, and maybe a couple more next summer.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AquaDragonfly

We hope to CLEP the last 2 years of high school, earning credit for both (love that double-dipping effect!).  But I don't see how on earth we could pay for even 3 years of college, so we are looking into schools that you can CLEP the majority of your degree, like Thomas Edison.  Does anyone have advice about that path?

For students considering degrees that are based on a lot of CLEPs here's an article from my site that you may find to be helpful. I encourage you to look especially closely at question six about affordability. Whether a credit by exam degree with be less affordable than a more traditional path depends a great deal on your individual circumstances. http://homeschoolsuccess.com/credit-by-exam-questions/

We hope to CLEP the last 2 years of high school, earning credit for both (love that double-dipping effect!).  But I don't see how on earth we could pay for even 3 years of college, so we are looking into schools that you can CLEP the majority of your degree, like Thomas Edison.  Does anyone have advice about that path?

No personal experience, but things to watch out for:

- Colleges limit the total amount of CLEP credits they will accept; check with the colleges you are interested in to know for sure how many CLEPs you can take that will actually be accepted by the colleges.

- Colleges accept only certain CLEPs towards the Gen. Ed required credits for a degree; other CLEPS are accepted only as electives, which means they aren't counting towards the degree, and thus, they are NOT reducing time required of being at college; again check with the colleges you are interested in for their specific policy.

- Colleges regularly change their policies, so check back regularly.

PREFACE: NOT a salesperson here, or affiliated with them, just sharing info:

College Plus is a company that has already done the work of laying out which CLEPs and distance courses combine at colleges such as Thomas Edison in order to fulfill a 4-year degree. We know 2 students who have completed their Bachelor degrees this way. It can be done simultaneously with high school, or after. One of the two students completed in the last 2 years of high school (+ the summer after graduation). The other student took 3 full years to complete. A degree earned in this way, using College Plus, will cost anywhere from $15K - $18K, depending on time it takes.

Some people are also very organized and motivated and have done all the organizing and administrating and done it themselves without College Plus, further reducing the cost.

Here are some past threads on this topic (both on College Plus and the Do-It-Yourself version):

College Plus

College Prep/College Plus experience?

College Plus -- really??

Dual enroll at home through College Plus?

BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.