Menu

Wildlife Experts...Who is the Culprit??

bzymom

We have a wrought iron fence with three gates.  The latches of the gates have a hard plastic knob on top which you pull up to open.  We have had the same fence, same gates, for over a decade.  

And this Spring...something ate all the knobs!  Chewed off every single knob, making it nearly impossible to open the gates.  We will obviously have to replace them, but need to figure out who the critter is first or we will just be supplying dessert!

Any ideas as to what kind of animal would be interested in chewing hard plastic?  We do have deer all around, but I cannot imagine that they would suddenly develop an interest.  

A raccoon wouldn't do that without a good reason, e.g., tasty garbage to be found underneath. Squirrels sometimes chew plastic. What other kinds of rodents do you have on your area?

Know anyone with a game camera you could borrow? Time for an investigation! :)

ETA: was posting the same thought at the same time as ktgrok...lol

Thank you.

I suspected it was the evil squirrels.   :mad:

So what in the world can I do to prevent them from doing it over and over??  And why would they be interested now, when they never were before? They cannot possibly taste like acorns! :rolleyes: 

Squirrels were placed on this earth to turn me into a crazy person.  Those flipping handles are nearly $100 each to replace.  I wish I could put a dome over my yard.  They could climb all over and wish they were in the lovely place with us and know they were banished by their own destructive behavior.

Thank you.

I suspected it was the evil squirrels. :mad:

So what in the world can I do to prevent them from doing it over and over?? And why would they be interested now, when they never were before? They cannot possibly taste like acorns! :rolleyes:

Squirrels were placed on this earth to turn me into a crazy person. Those flipping handles are nearly $100 each to replace. I wish I could put a dome over my yard. They could climb all over and wish they were in the lovely place with us and know they were banished by their own destructive behavior.

Please rethink the dome. The squirrels would use it as a launching pad to get onto your roof, tear off the roofing material and establish residence in your house, thereby forcing you to move into the yard. Hmm, maybe the dome would be helpful in that case...?

You might try hanging a fabric bag w/ moth balls on the handles. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the smell would act as a deterrent. I can't imagine them eating it!

Or, get a small animal INTERMITTANT electric fence charger and run an electric wire around your place. We got a battery-powered one from Amazon and it has been great. No electric cords to worry about getting power to where you need it. and the batteries (2 D size) have lasted over two months now.