Menu

Visiting New York City - where to stay?

Anne

A girlfriend & I will be visiting New York City in September.  Neither of us have ever been there before, so we will be doing lots of Tourist Things, especially visiting museums.   I am really unsure about how to figure out where to stay.  Since we know nothing of the city, we are primarily interested in safety and convenience.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks!

Anne

I am very fond of the Edison Hotel. It was recommended to me by the father of one of m son's friends, who travels to the city on business frequently. He described it as having a certain charming, slightly faded glory, and I agree.

It's a wonderful, 1930s-era building. It doesn't have some of the things we take for granted in nice hotels nowadays, but the vibe is very worth it to me. It's definitely "vintage," but clean and pleasant.

The location is good, near Times Square. And the price is usually less than any other decent hotel in the area.

I've stayed three times and never been unhappy.

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

I am very fond of the Edison Hotel. It was recommended to me by the father of one of m son's friends, who travels to the city on business frequently. He described it as having a certain charming, slightly faded glory, and I agree.

It's a wonderful, 1930s-era building. It doesn't have some of the things we take for granted in nice hotels nowadays, but the vibe is very worth it to me. It's definitely "vintage," but clean and pleasant.

The location is good, near Times Square. And the price is usually less than any other decent hotel in the area.

I've stayed three times and never been unhappy.

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

As a native New Yorker, I am not much good at hotel recommendations, but the Edison sounds lovely and has a fantastic location on West 47th Street between 7th & 8th Avenues. Fantastic because it is a block from Restaurant Row on 46th between 8th & 9th Avenues, where there are a million restaurants jammed together. Theater goers often dine here, so prices drop dramatically after 7:30 pm or so.

I feel safe at night in that area because there are so many people. Really, really a lot of people. 

You could do a busy day of touristy stuff, go back to your hotel to rest, then go out to dinner without having to find a cab or face traffic. The hotel is also in the Theater district, so you could do a show with minimum hassles.

Jenny, I love older hotels too and always try to find something with 'character' when I travel.

We went to NYC last summer and stayed at the Waldorf! On the company's dime but if you can afford it, it was lovely. We walked to most everything. I think it spoiled NYC for me. I would want to stay there if we ever get the chance to go again;)

I only know that I love NYC and have always felt very safe there -- so many people, all the time!  ha  But, I'm not from there so other people might have better suggestions.

We've stayed at several places that were within our budget:

The Hotel Stanford (in the "Koreatown" area)

The Roosevelt Hotel

They are both older hotels (The Roosevelt especially is kind of a landmark hotel) that are maybe a shade past their prime but still very nice.  We happened to get good deals on them;  it probably depends on the dates though.  I just checked them both for a random date in May and their prices were quite a bit higher than we paid!

The other place we used to stay at has now closed.