Menu

Top Historical Literature Picks for Each Time Period

I have looked at book lists until I am going cross-eyed.  Please tell me what your three top picks would be for each time period - Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance/Reformation, Early Modern and Modern Times, in the order of importance, and/or interest for middle school boys, from first to last.

Or if you know of a prior thread that would tell me this, please link it.  In the back of my head I think Hunter or someone else asked a question like this some years ago.

Thank you

I'll give it a try..

Ancients
Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff or The Trojan War by Olivia Coolidge
The Wanderings of Odysseus by Rosemary Sutcliff
In Search of a Homeland by Penelope Lively

Medieval
King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table by Roger Lancelyn Green
Canterbury Tales Retold by Geraldine McCaughrean
Beowulf by Burton Raffel
Robin Hood by Roger L. Green
Nordic Gods and Heroes by Padraic Colum

Renaissance and Reformation
Tales From Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb or a complete play by Shakespeare
Poetry for Young People: Shakespeare edited by Kasten

Early Modern
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Modern
Treasure Island by Robert L. Stevenson
Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Ancients:

a retelling of Gilgamesh

Black Ships Before Troy

Julius Caesar

Medieval:

D'Aulaire's book of Norse Myths

King Arthur - maybe Green's version?

Robin Hood - Green

Early Modern:

Treasure Island

Around the World in 80 Days

Tom Sawyer

Modern:

The Adventures of Sherlock Homes or Hound of the Baskervilles

Animal Farm

The Giver 

ETA: I just realized I divided my time periods differently than the OP requested, but I'll leave it, b/c I like Kfamily's version for the other division of historical periods.

I'll give it a try..

Ancients

Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff - this was on my short list 

The Trojan War by Olivia Coolidge

The Wanderings of Odysseus by Rosemary Sutcliff

In Search of a Homeland by Penelope Lively

Medieval

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table by Roger Lancelyn Green - this was on my short list

Canterbury Tales Retold by Geraldine McCaughrean

Beowulf by Burton Raffel

Robin Hood by Roger L. Green - this was on my short list

Nordic Gods and Heroes by Padraic Colum

Renaissance and Reformation

Tales From Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb or a complete play by Shakespeare

Poetry for Young People: Shakespeare edited by Kasten

Early Modern

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe - we did this as a family audiobook on our last big trip - everyone loved it, but I wouldn't do it again

Modern

Treasure Island by Robert L. Stevenson - this is on my short list

Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain - this is on my short list

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I have made notes in the quote, as to which books I already have on my short list.  Thank you for some more ideas to consider.

Ancients:

a retelling of Gilgamesh

Black Ships Before Troy - on my short list already

Julius Caesar

Medieval:

D'Aulaire's book of Norse Myths

King Arthur - maybe Green's version? - on my short list already

Robin Hood - Green - on my short list already

Early Modern:

Treasure Island - already on my short list

Around the World in 80 Days - I think we are doing this as a family audiobook this summer, because we just finished a few months of intense geography.

Tom Sawyer - already on my short list

Modern:

The Adventures of Sherlock Homes or Hound of the Baskervilles - I like the idea of Sherlock Holmes.

Animal Farm - This is usually on high school lists, is it accessible to middle schoolers?

The Giver 

ETA: I just realized I divided my time periods differently than the OP requested, but I'll leave it, b/c I like Kfamily's version for the other division of historical periods.

Thanks for your ideas.  I have made my notes.

My dd and I did Animal Farm this year in 6th grade.  It was definitely accessible, it's not a hard read, and as an allegory it is much more appropriate for middle schoolers than, say 1984.   But I would say that it's important to have the historical context - definitely discuss the Russian Revolution and Stalin before you read the book.

The discussions we had of Animal Farm and The Giver this year absolutely blew me away.  That's why I include The Giver - not that it's classic literature or anything, but the quality of the discussion we had about that book was phenomenal.  We read (together) the short stories The Lottery and The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas at the same time, and it was incredibly thought-provoking.

We've had a really good year of read-alouds this year for year 4, Modern History. I've got the challenge now of choosing read-alouds for studying Ancients with youngest only next year, so I'll keep following this thread. This is way more than 3, but it has been a great list. All were read-alouds so we could discuss as we went along, and they were done with girls instead of boys ages 13 and 10/11, 8th and 5th grader.

Red Badge of Courage

My Antonia

Huckleberry Finn

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Murder on the Orient Express

The Hiding Place

Animal Farm

To Kill a Mockingbird

If we could have only done 3 of those, I would choose Huck Finn, Animal Farm, and To Kill a Mockingbird. But I wouldn't assign any of those particular 3 for middle schoolers to read on their own. Too much to explain (like dialects), too many important ideas to just hope they notice. Boys might have more interest in the war themes (I can tell you girls tire of them!); All Quiet on the Western Front was our favorite of those.

My dd and I did Animal Farm this year in 6th grade.  It was definitely accessible, it's not a hard read, and as an allegory it is much more appropriate for middle schoolers than, say 1984.   But I would say that it's important to have the historical context - definitely discuss the Russian Revolution and Stalin before you read the book.

The discussions we had of Animal Farm and The Giver this year absolutely blew me away.  That's why I include The Giver - not that it's classic literature or anything, but the quality of the discussion we had about that book was phenomenal.  We read (together) the short stories The Lottery and The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas at the same time, and it was incredibly thought-provoking.

Thank you for your explanations.  I will have to put these on my own reading list to peruse.

We've had a really good year of read-alouds this year for year 4, Modern History. I've got the challenge now of choosing read-alouds for studying Ancients with youngest only next year, so I'll keep following this thread. This is way more than 3, but it has been a great list. All were read-alouds so we could discuss as we went along, and they were done with girls instead of boys ages 13 and 10/11, 8th and 5th grader.

Red Badge of Courage

My Antonia

Huckleberry Finn

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Murder on the Orient Express

The Hiding Place

Animal Farm

To Kill a Mockingbird

If we could have only done 3 of those, I would choose Huck Finn, Animal Farm, and To Kill a Mockingbird. But I wouldn't assign any of those particular 3 for middle schoolers to read on their own. Too much to explain (like dialects), too many important ideas to just hope they notice. Boys might have more interest in the war themes (I can tell you girls tire of them!); All Quiet on the Western Front was our favorite of those.

I had thought about Red Badge of Courage and Huck Finn.  I will add the others to my lists to consider.

I am planning on doing all of these as read-alouds so that we can discuss them.

Here is Mr. Travers' European History book list for his Literature class below.  Check out this link to his open hours where he covers the American History books he will use next year.  My 5th and 7th grade kids love studying Literature, Art, and Poetry with this guy.  He really bring the Literature and the Art to life.

Junior High Literature, Book List

European-History Related

• King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table, by Roger Lancelyn Green
  • Beowulf: A New Telling, by Robert Nye
  • Anna of Byzantium, by Tracy Barrett
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame, by Victor Hugo
  • Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand
  • The Cid, by Pierre Corneille
  • A Doll’s House, by Henrik Ibsen
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy
  • Ninety-Three, by Victor Hugo
  • Othello, by William Shakespeare
  • Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare
  • Les Misérables, by Victor Hugo

Examples of Poetry

• “The Lady of Shalottâ€, by Alfred Tennyson
  • “The Highwaymanâ€, by Alfred Noyes
  • “To Lucastaâ€, by Richard Lovelace
  • “Sonnet 116â€, by William Shakespeare

Ancients:

Epic of Gilgamesh

Black Ships Before Troy

The Wanderings of Odysseus

Middle Ages:

King Arthur and Knights of The Round Table

Robin Hood

D'Aulaires Norse Mythology

Early Modern:

Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Tom Sawyer

The Raven (I'd say Pride and Prejudice here, but I absolutely hated that book, so I substituted something of Poe's)

Modern:

Animal Farm

To Kill A Mockingbird

The Grapes of Wrath

Here is Mr. Travers' European History book list for his Literature class below.  Check out this link to his open hours where he covers the American History books he will use next year.  My 5th and 7th grade kids love studying Literature, Art, and Poetry with this guy.  He really bring the Literature and the Art to life.

European-History Related

Examples of Poetry

Great list!  Thank you!

Ancients:

Epic of Gilgamesh

Black Ships Before Troy

The Wanderings of Odysseus

Middle Ages:

King Arthur and Knights of The Round Table

Robin Hood

D'Aulaires Norse Mythology

Early Modern:

Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Tom Sawyer

The Raven (I'd say Pride and Prejudice here, but I absolutely hated that book, so I substituted something of Poe's)

Modern:

Animal Farm

To Kill A Mockingbird

The Grapes of Wrath

Thanks for a great, precise list!

European-History Related

Examples of Poetry

I think I missed the link. Would you mind reposting it?  GREAT LIST!

Hijack:  Literature at Our House looks interesting, but I can't find any threads about it.   Am I doing a bad search job, or is this something not discussed much?

thanks for the reply and sorry for the hijack  

Angela

Hi Angela,  

yeah, there is not much out there regarding Literature at Our House because this was the first year that Mr. Travers conducted this online class.  He originally taught at the VanDamme Academy in California for many years.

We used it with our two sons this year and absolutely loved it from day 1.  Mr. Travers conducts it like a real class with around 10-15 kids per class.  He has an Upper Elementary class (4-6th grade) and a Jr. High class (7-9).  At times, the kids in the class read aloud from the books and from poetry together.  Every class, Mr. Travers poses challenge questions about what the children read the night before for an assignment.  He really gets them thinking about the characters and plot in ways they wouldn't be with reading it on their own in my opinion.  He also assigns writing assignments for each book.

There is the option of subscribing to the live class 3 times per week, 1 time per week, or to only do the recordings.  Of course, each option is a different course.

He is going to be offering a 1 day a week writing workshop next year to go along with the Literature class.

He is a very nice guy and he will even offer you the opportunity to have your kid sit in on the online class a few times for free to feel it our.  You can contact him through his Facebook page or home page below.  I'm sure he would be happy to answer any of your questions.

http://www.luctravers.com

https://www.facebook.com/literatureatourhouse?ref=br_tf

Our favorite aspect is that every so often he brings a work of art into the class and examines it in a way that even interests me!  Here is an example of how he does that.  I normally didn't think about Art like this, now I do :)

Let me know if I can answer any other questions you may have

All the Best - Scott

There is the option of subscribing to the live class 3 times per week, 1 time per week, or to only do the recordings.  Of course, each option is a different course.

Would you please clarify/explain this for me?  Is the one time per week a longer class -  or just one of the 3 classes that week?  (I don't believe that I could have phrased that in a more confusing way. lol)   My dd12 did watch most of the open house video (I haven't seen all of it yet).  She really liked what she saw. 

thank you for your time

Angela

No problem Angela.

The 3 classes are all the same length and he conducts them all with live students.  You can choose to have your child sit in the live class for all 3 classes,  for just 1 of the classes (you choose the day), or for none of the live classes.

http://www.literatureatourhouse.com

If you took the option for 1 live class, then you would access to the other 2 as recordings.  The recorded classes are usually available soon after the live class has taken place.  He runs it all through the WizIQ website.  If you opted for no live classes, like we currently do, then you would access the recordings. Regardless of which option you choose, you always have access to the recorded classes.  So if live participants miss a class they surely can watch the recorded class at a later time.

So, basically you choose one of those option and purchase it through the website with PayPal as a monthly option.  You get billed for a monthly cost through PayPal based on the option you pick.  When your first register and set up the PayPal, then you get a link to the WizIQ website.  That is where you access the course contents.  The contents consist of PDFs of class notes, pictures, poems.  The main content is the video of each class.

I hope that makes sense.  Let me know if you need more clarification.

No problem Angela.

The 3 classes are all the same length and he conducts them all with live students.  You can choose to have your child sit in the live class for all 3 classes,  for just 1 of the classes (you choose the day), or for none of the live classes.

http://www.literatureatourhouse.com

If you took the option for 1 live class, then you would access to the other 2 as recordings.  The recorded classes are usually available soon after the live class has taken place.  He runs it all through the WizIQ website.  If you opted for no live classes, like we currently do, then you would access the recordings. Regardless of which option you choose, you always have access to the recorded classes.  So if live participants miss a class they surely can watch the recorded class at a later time.

So, basically you choose one of those option and purchase it through the website with PayPal as a monthly option.  You get billed for a monthly cost through PayPal based on the option you pick.  When your first register and set up the PayPal, then you get a link to the WizIQ website.  That is where you access the course contents.  The contents consist of PDFs of class notes, pictures, poems.  The main content is the video of each class.

I hope that makes sense.  Let me know if you need more clarification.

It makes perfect sense.  Thank you so much for clarifying.  I did email Luc earlier and he is gathering info for us and answering questions.  Thanks so much for the info on this!!!

Angela

Fahrenheit 451 is one of those books that middle schoolers often love, especially boys. If you had great discussions with Animal Farm and The Giver, I would add it in.

That was me.  I didn't think my middle schooler (girl) would like it all that much, honestly.  I think we might read it in high school, but at the risk of dodging tomatoes, it's not my favorite dystopia - and I love dystopias.  

Fahrenheit 451 is one of those books that middle schoolers often love, especially boys. If you had great discussions with Animal Farm and The Giver, I would add it in.

I did Fahrenheit 451 in high school and I didn't love it, but my boys might.  

Johnny Tremain

Treasure Island

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet... They are must-reads for my boys! :)

We have not done Johnny Tremain or Treasure Island.  I think I may consider them.

I like The Bronze Bow for ancients, too. :)

We have listened to The Bronze Bow as a family on audiobook, my kids loved it.