Menu

Change is hard for a dumb old dog

This experience has shown me how old I am. I am finding this board changeover to be SOOOOO hard. I feel like I can't cope. WTM was the only board I frequented (mostly as lurker--was Lisa in MI) not just because of all the great people and great conversation (the main reason, of course), but also because it was simple and straightforward and quick. It took far fewer mouse clicks to scan over/read hundreds and hundreds of posts. Now, it'll take me a zillion "next page" clicks to do the same thing. With dial-up, that's not fun.

From what I can tell, though, I'm in a definite minority. Most people here seem thrilled with the new style. I salute you! I have envied you for many years (you're the ones able to frequent all the other internet boards on topics of interest out there that I've longed to participate in but were unable to due to my simple-mindedness).

As an old dog I'm not sure I'll be able to spend as much time on these boards as I have in the past. (Tears roll down my cheeks as I say this.) I've loved this board and it is dear to my heart. Thank you, everyone, for encouraging me and helping me in so many, many ways over the past few years.

I was of the same mindset and it really took me the better part of an afternoon to figure this whole new forum out and I am not saying I have completely figured it out. When I see familiar usernames, I click on the thread - LOL!

Don't be too discouraged. Come back and try and try again. I am on dial-up as well and we sit there longer and wait for things to pop up but you know the WTM folks are so worth it! Right??!!

(in fact, Lisa, this is the second message I'm typing to you to try to reply to this thread! - I don't know what happened to the other one!:o It does take time to figure out and if you don't have a lot of time right now it may take you (and me) a bit longer. But you have figured out how to log in, you've obviously read some of the messages and you've figured out how to post a new thread. You will notice that I don't have a picture posted, or an avatar, or a link or a blog - none of which I have any kind of idea how to do! But even with a different format - it is the same group of caring people with a common bond of homeschooling.

I know what you mean. I felt the same way when the Sonlight boards changed to this format. It is a lot more fun for the people who like to play with pictures, avatars, smilies, etc., but it's more cumbersome to quickly glance through messages when time is limited.

I think for me, it's also sad. It's like a passing of an age. The WTM boards were the last (of the ones I visit) to convert and I just feel weird. Like I said, I felt the same way when Sonlight converted. The old way was more intimate, cozy, kind of like visiting Grandma. With the new way, it's more like Grandma moved out of her quaint little country cottage and moved to a high-rise apartment. It's fun for a little while, but it just ain't the same, KWIM? Oh well.

I slowly stopped visiting the Sonlight boards because it's so much more time-consuming. I'll probably eventually stop coming here, too. I think it's probably time for the new, youngsters to come in and make a new home. This old granny yearns for the country house. My youngest is in 9th grade and may be going to public school next year anyway. I guess it's nearly time to say good-bye to the old and welcome in the new.

The new "toys" are fun, though. I've posted more today than I have in years, so I am enjoying it. I don't like the constant "server is busy" messages I keep getting, though. Unfortunately, that's another sign of the times -- too busy.

Sorry. Just feeling a tad nostalgic.:o

Now, it'll take me a zillion "next page" clicks to do the same thing. With dial-up, that's not fun.

If you go to your cp button at the top, you can scroll down and change how many posts you see on one page, and that will keep from having to click to the next ten posts. I've got mine set at 40, because that annoyed me, too.

There are also tips in the bottom category - testing/how to post.

Oh, no you can still browse,but now all the threads open up much faster. It was maddening before. I was waiting for us to get out of the 90s before we entered the 10s. Going to other boards made it real difficult to get situated here. Unti now.

I do beleive when you get use to it, you'll prefer this format to the old board.

If you go to your cp button at the top, you can scroll down and change how many posts you see on one page, and that will keep from having to click to the next ten posts. I've got mine set at 40....

Thank you for this tip! In the Control Panel, under Options (over there with changes to your Profile, Avatar, etc.), scroll wayy down.

I changed my posts per page to 40, and turned OFF avatars (sorry!) and images. I am MUCH happier with how threads look now -- a lot more info per page scroll, if that makes any sense. I can scan faster now. Oh, and I have the threading set to hybrid, so I can scan the first lines of the whole thread.

This ought to go over in Testing/How to Post, but I hadn't wandered over there. Now I think I will; this tweak really has made me much happier.

Who's ****old***** on this board? Are there very many of us who are over fifty? :eek:

Look at it this way, ladies. I understand change is stressful, but are you really not going to follow at least some of the progress over the next few DECADES of your life? (You do plan to live a while longer, don't you?)

Nothing is constant except change.

If you aren't growing, you are dying.

Please stay flexible, young, questing, and growing. We all need each other!