Menu

Buying a treadmill help

littlefurfamily

Does anyone have recommendations on purchasing a treadmill (under $500...closer to $300)?  We all need to get more exercise, but my allergies make the outdoors extremely irritating at this time of year and I am also thinking adhead to the hothot summer to come.    Any specific models you've been satisied with?

A decent treadmill will cost much more than $500, closer to a thousand.  I would check Craigslist.  You want something with a decent motor, at least 3.0 hp.  It does make a difference if you plan on walking or running on it, and how many people intend to use it.  Ours gets the most work in the winter, with me using is 4 times a week, and my dh at least twice a week (he gets outside more).  We have a Proform, but we bought the warranty which, if you buy new, I highly recommend.  Treadmills are not made to be used, the motors break, and are pricey.  I think we get a new motor almost every year.  

The last time the guy was here he recommended Nordictrack.  He said they break less.  

A decent treadmill will cost much more than $500, closer to a thousand.  I would check Craigslist.  You want something with a decent motor, at least 3.0 hp.  It does make a difference if you plan on walking or running on it, and how many people intend to use it.  Ours gets the most work in the winter, with me using is 4 times a week, and my dh at least twice a week (he gets outside more).  We have a Proform, but we bought the warranty which, if you buy new, I highly recommend.  Treadmills are not made to be used, the motors break, and are pricey.  I think we get a new motor almost every year.  

The last time the guy was here he recommended Nordictrack.  He said they break less.  

I have a Nordictrack, but we paid slightly over $500 for it on sale at sears about 5 years ago.  It is still going strong.  I use it, Dh uses it occasionally, and Dd runs her dog on it several times a week.  Originally I wanted to pay what the Op listed, but the salesperson did a good thing and advised me to spend a bit more to get a better machine after he heard what I wanted it for.  I know there are better models out there, but we couldn't afford more and so far, we have been pleased.

I have a Nordictrack too. I think it is worth spending a little more money for a quality machine (and a warranty) if you are sure you are going to use it long term.  I use mine at least five times a week and after four months I am very happy with my purchase.