Menu

Which level would you choose for a 6 year old?

Tohru

Which class level  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which class level would you sign up a 6 year old for?

• 4-6 year old
    • 6-9 year old
    • Other

A summer dance class has 2 levels: one is for ages 4-6 and the other class is for ages 6-9.  Which one would you choose for a 6 year old?

ETA:  The 6 year old is 6 years and 4 months.

Hopefully the poll shows up :)

Without knowing more, I'd choose the higher level on the assumption that this will be the first of several years with the same group.  Also, based on the fact that my kids were stuck in the 4-6 classes last year, and they felt they were too babyish and not challenging enough.

Totally depends.  For an athletically capable, fast learner, moderately "mature," interested child, I absolutely would pick the older class.  My daughter would do better with the push from being with the older children.  However, for a less capable child, one who takes a little more time, one less mature, one not sure about their interest level, etc, I would choose the younger class.  

4-6 will probably have more games and such. Probably a lot of 'free movement' allowed. Maybe some sort of intro and outro to the class that isn't fully dance-centric.

6-9 will probably have more actual lessons, practice and feedback. Probably not as much 'free movement' allowed

A summer dance class has 2 levels: one is for ages 4-6 and the other class is for ages 6-9. Which one would you choose for a 6 year old?

ETA: The 6 year old is 6 years and 4 months.

Hopefully the poll shows up :)

Depends. How much dance experience? How attentive is the child? Can the child stand still and listen to the teacher with minimal fidgeting? There is a big difference in terms of fine motor control between a 6 year old and an 8 year old. If I were the teacher, I wouldn't be pleased at the grouping. For the younger ages, I prefer at most a one year difference (4/5, 6/7, 8/9).

I'd expect the six year olds in the older class have had regular dance instruction.

For my kid, I would choose the older class because he tends to model himself on the average behavior of a group. In a younger class he would start acting silly, but with more mature students he will rise to the occasion and take it more seriously.

Would there be an option to switch classes if what you choose isn't a good fit? I'd rather have my child moved up into the older class than moved down into the younger class in that case.

I would also call the facility and ask for a recommendation based on her maturity, experience, and peer interaction. I'm sure they've had the same question asked by others in the same situation.

Where is your kid in your own family?  For my youngers, I'd put them in the younger group just to give them a different dynamic - being the older.  For my olders, I'd probably put them in the older group to let them be young for a change.

I would choose 4 to 6, assuming she has no prior experience. That way I know it won't be too hard and discourage her. Rather it'll be fun and possibly spark her interest. If the older class is too hard (there is a big difference in 6 and 9 IMO), she will get discouraged and want to stop.

I'm guessing that the two groupings are intended for preschoolers vs. elementary students. A lot of kids these days don't start kindergarten until they're 6 because of "redshirting". So instead of the preschool class being for 4 & 5 y.o.'s it's now open to 6 y.o.'s as well.

Where is your kid in your own family?  For my youngers, I'd put them in the younger group just to give them a different dynamic - being the older.  For my olders, I'd probably put them in the older group to let them be young for a change.

lol!  Perfectly right in the middle. :)

I'm guessing that the two groupings are intended for preschoolers vs. elementary students. A lot of kids these days don't start kindergarten until they're 6 because of "redshirting". So instead of the preschool class being for 4 & 5 y.o.'s it's now open to 6 y.o.'s as well.

This makes perfect sense!  Thank you.  I was going to do the younger class, but after reading this, I'm going to do the upper level.  Thanks so much for your insight! :)

I agree with Crimson Wife - that's how we used to split out classes in gymnastics. "kindergym" would be for 5-6 year olds, but we would move them up once they hit first grade, so the Beg 1 classes would also have 6 year olds in it. 

Also, lots of parents sign up kids younger than the recommended age, so the 4-6 year old class will most likely have some older 3's in it.