Menu

Those who HS and PS.

We have made the decision to send our oldest daughter to public school next year.  She has a number of challenges and we feel that the public school program that she will attend will be able to address them effectively.  

Those of you who have some of "each" schooling going on in your house - what are the biggest challenges you face?  Do your children compare their daily experiences?  How does having one in public school affect your home school day?  

Honestly, I am more concerned about what home schooling the two youngest will look like now!  Our school days here at home have always been geared to help our daughter succeed - very structured day, at desks, lots of help for her and the boys working more independently.  I have no idea what to expect now that we could try a bunch of new ways to homeschool and to structure our learning and our days. 

I am excited, but also nervous about the changes.  Any advice or encouragement welcome.

I have a child in private school, and I homeschool middle boy (given, it's pretty relaxed at his age). After having all kiddos home prior to this past year, the biggest thing to get used to was having to revolve our days around drop off and pick up, lol - not a huge hassle, but it took some getting used to.

I have one in public high school and one homeschooling.  My homeschooling son is motivated to get his work done before his brother gets home so he can play with him.   The only problem really is when we are going on an amazing field trip.  Sometimes I allow the older to miss school and come with us, but because they block schedule at his school it is easy to fall behind, so not as often as I would like.  I miss the open schedule.  Before we could plan a vacation any time or just pick up and go, but now we have to consider the calendar.  

I have 1 in private school, 1 in public school (special ed), and 2 homeschooling.  There's enough of a gap (both age and needs) between my p-schoolers and homeschoolers, that comparisons aren't really an issue.

The biggest impact is just to our schedule.  No more school year vacations, which stinks. The drop offs and pick ups impact the day (until they start driving, which is where we're at now).  Lots of positives, too.  All in all, this set up has worked for us.

Oldest went back to public school for high school when youngest was starting sixth grade at home.  As others have said, the biggest impact was the time it took me to drop him off/pick him up (until he got his drivers license), and that our vacation travel time had to revolve around his school schedule.  Thankfully youngest was old enough and mature enough that I felt perfectly comfortably leaving him home alone while I took oldest to/from school.  It would've been much more of a hassle if I'd had to drag him with us every day, and making oldest ride the bus really wasn't something we wanted to do.

Good luck!

Other than having to get the homeschooled ones up to do the high school drop-off (middle school there's a bus), there's not any issue having two in public school and 2 at home.  They don't compare their days, but they didn't when they were all in public school or all homeschooled either.  The homeschooled ones are in elementary school and the public schooled ones are middle and high so there's really no comparison anyway.  We start school within 30 minutes of getting home from the high school drop-off and are done by noon or 1, well before the older kids get home so it doesn't affect us at all.  The middle schooler is old enough that when he gets home if we're not here that's fine.  It's pretty nice being able to focus on the littles, to be honest.

I hate, hate, HATE being tied to the school schedule. There are so many great field trips, classes, and group activities that we cannot do because of my little one's schedule. I wouldn't do it unless the school offered something that I wasn't able to easily replicate at home (which is the case for my SN child).

I have 4 in private school and homeschool 1.  I agree that working around the schedule is the biggest challenge, but we have managed it well.  My ones in school sometimes long for the freedom of homeschooling, and my homeschooling child sometimes longs for class parties, field trips, and field days.  But each is in the place they should be right now, and we have adjusted.

This is our current biggest hassle.  Not a big deal, though, in the scheme of things.  My daughter enjoys activities like the school carnival and the winter program at my son's school, and if we really have an activity that my son would enjoy with his sister, I take him out of school that day and we just go for it.  The hassle is more having to stop schooling my DD to pick up DS, so if we are working at the hour in the afternoon, it's mildly disruptive.

I have a child in private school, and I homeschool middle boy (given, it's pretty relaxed at his age). After having all kiddos home prior to this past year, the biggest thing to get used to was having to revolve our days around drop off and pick up, lol - not a huge hassle, but it took some getting used to.