Menu

Writing Curriculum Help

rebecheka

I use FLL and WWE with my 2nd grade DS and we are really liking them.  I like the gentle approach, especially to writing.  My DS hates writing, so I haven't made him do any other writing except for the dictation and copywork in WWE.  Is this enough writing at this age?  Should I be having him do more writing?  If I do, is there more I should be teaching him about organizing writing (he has no idea about topic sentences, writing sentences in paragraphs, etc.) and do you recommend a specific curriculum for this?  Thanks!

This is a "complete" writing program.  The WWE approach isn't copious in the early levels.  It is about organizing thoughts and getting the child to put things onto paper.  More structured writing will come in Writing With Skill.  The only other writing that TWTM recommends at that level is narration of the other lessons (history and science for example), but not of all or them or even all subjects.  The idea is to develop their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills  slow and steady.  Here is a good talk on the subject, by Andrew Pudewa.

If you child wants to write more, or is interested in creative writing on their own, by all means do it.