Menu

'Thinking of you' card for mom who recently lost son--advice needed

ThisIsTheDay

My high school best friend's adult brother passed away in a terrible accident a few months ago.  I have been in brief contact with their mom, who friended me on FB last month.  Our parents were busy leading their own lives, and I was never very close to the mom.

I would like to send the mom an "I'm thinking of you" card this week before Mother's Day.  My thought is to just write a very short note indicating that I'm thinking about them and continuing to pray.  (She is also Christian.) Is there anything special I should think to write? Or is this a bad idea?  I am asking here because I am socially inept. I don't want to miss something obvious.

Thank you.

I would keep the note brief, and yes, I think you should send it. I sent cards to my friend's mother when my friend's brother passed away. I can't remember if I sent a card on Mother's Day or on what would have been his birthday (close to my friends which is why I knew). 

Most moms who lose a child, adult or not, appreciate being remembered, an acknowledgment that they are still grieving at times. Even though it has been a few months ago, for the first year it is fresh. I have a friend who lost teen son and daughter due to an accident although the girl died two weeks later. My sister's son died in a car accident also when he was 18 and she always appreciated any one who would take the time to stop by and ask her out for an ice cream, a walk in the park, whatever. Yes, send the card! I know it feels awkward!

My dad was killed by a hit-and-run driver 18 months ago. The first year of "firsts" is hard on those left behind. I know that my mom felt so encouraged by the notes and cards she received by friends and family over that time. I don't think it's ever wrong to offer your sympathy and love to someone who is still grieving.

I would like to send the mom an "I'm thinking of you" card this week before Mother's Day.  ..

I'm so glad you posted this.  I have a friend who lost her son in January.  I had not even been thinking of how hard this weekend will be for her.  Your idea is a good one.  I'm going to send a card, too (and also otherwise be in touch).