Menu

Mother's Day HUGS to those of you whose Moms have passed away

sheryl

I know there was a thread a while back re: Moms.   My Mother passed away just over 25 years ago is in with our Lord.  

Just wanted to give :grouphug: to all of you whose Moms have passed away.  Mother's Day is bittersweet.  Sad b/c my Mom is not here (although I know she's better off; not in any more pain, etc, but we still miss her) and sweet to be a Mom to my wonderful almost 15 yo dd. 

Thank you, that is so sweet. Yes, this mom's day will be bittersweet.  This will be my first mother's day since mom passed 6 months ago and we will be visiting her at the cemetery.  I never quite know how to say that since she's up in heaven and all we have left are her ashes in the columbarium.  I'm going to visit mom just sounds strange. 

TYVM, and :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:  back at ya.

The hardest day for me after my mother died was Mother's Day at church. She died in October, and although of course I was still missing her in May, I had no idea that the whole Mother's Day thing at church would knock me down. I have not been to church on Mother's Day since then (15 years ago). Mr. Ellie takes me out for the day. :-)

Ellie, I also can't go to church on Mother's Day. I "see" my parents sitting in the pew in front of us, as they used to, and I just lose my composure.

4.5 years

2.5 years without Dad

And now I'm crying again.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Thank you. In addition to Mother's Day, tomorrow (May 5th) would have been my mother's birthday.

I'm afraid my son is forgetting her. It's natural since he was just shy of turning 10 when she died, but it still bothers me. I try to keep her memory alive for him by talking about things Nonna did, liked, used to say, etc.

It will be 6 years next month.

Thank you to everyone who has shared.  My mom passed away in February, just a few days after her 83rd b-day.  We had a local health crisis going on in my immediate family, so by the time I got to her bedside, she was incoherent so I will have to remember the wonderful Christmas we had together.  I am so very thankful that the very last thing she said was to my precious SIL who was shouldering the heavy burden of Mom's care, "Thank you, A___." 

I had steeled myself for ignoring the onslaught of emotions surrounding Mother's Day, but picking out an Easter card for Dad completely undid me--not a one was "to Dad."   All were to Mom and Dad. Sigh. Tears in the aisle at Target...

Thank you. It's been 13 months since we lost Mom, and I am really feeling it this year. Lst year I was on auto-pilot & it didn't sink in. My dd & I both miss her terribly. Every so often I read something online & want to share with her or go to cook something and wish I could ask her how. I wish I had taken the time to write down more of the family stories while she was still with us.

I haven't been to the cemetery since she passed, as I don't think I could hold it together for my dd if I went. 

Dear Ones - most recent replies,

Thanks for sharing.

To everyone -

What strikes me is our profound love for our Moms.  I know some people do not have great relationships with their Moms (and that's another thread, I'm bringing these people no shame; just a comment that I can't understand it b/c my Mom and I were so very close). 

My husband and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary sleeping in the "family" waiting area.  About 7 or so days later she passed away.  I thought I was young being around 30, but for those of you who recently lost their Moms, I'm so sorry.  And, to those who were "babes" and 10 or 12 or teens, that is equally as sad....as is everyone in b/t. 

You know, I think of her often and wish dd would have known her as she was alive, on this earth.  While time does bring comfort, I still miss her.  And, Ameena, that was me too.  I went on auto-pilot, not really knowing what I did day to day.  It was a very raw time.  What "helped" a bit was when dh accompanied me to monthly support group meetings.  These were designed for people who lost loved ones.  Mind you, everyone there was older (to be expected), except dh and I.  It was so very helpful b/c it validated that what I was feeling/thinking was normal. 

:grouphug: