Menu

Dr. Hive, my 7 y/o looks to have cradle cap!?

Wilma

So, well, my 7 y/o daughter has on her scalp what looks exactly like cradle cap. Not the super thick scaly kind, but definitely some stuff. I had no idea that even happened to kids who were not babies/toddlers. Honestly, I'm a little yucked about it.

What should I do? Her hair is a little past her shoulders and thick.

Guest submarines

DS9 and DD6 sometimes have it. It is not a big deal. Apparently it is related to allergies.

I rub a little bit of olive oil to soften, and then comb it out, then they wash their hair.

Guest submarines

It really doesn't look dandruffy, though. It's not white and it's sort of stuck to the scalp rather than being flaky.

As far as I understand, it is still sort of the same, but different, kwim?

Hmmm... the girls use really nice organic expensive shampoo, and have for ages. None of them are very frequent hair washers, though.

67, what type of allergies are you thinking it's related to? Seasonal stuff?

My oldest gets that stuck to the scalp stuff too. I had my doctor inform me that it was a yeast problem. I have used lemon juice on it, and coconut oil on it. I've found it's cleared up as our diet has changed and he's gotten older.

It really doesn't look dandruffy, though. It's not white and it's sort of stuck to the scalp rather than being flaky.

Yellowish, and looks like cradle cap? That's dandruff.

I used oil to get rid of the flakes and then more frequent washing (at least every other day) to keep it away.

We had this when my boys were about that age still.  And the pediatrician said that "cradle cap" can continue for many years and that it was normal but try to moisturize it.  So not "grown up" dandruff, probably still cradle cap.

another suggestion for oil + comb. I had to treat my kids for lice recently, and the patches on DS's head that I'd always just ignored were completely cleared away incidental to all the combing with oil and a fine-toothed comb.