Menu

Question for NC homeschooling

I've been reading through the NCDNPE handbook (again) to make sure I'm keeping my ducks in a row and I'm confused on one topic.  I thought I read somewhere on there that I (as the administrator) need to establish a minimum score on a standardized test for graduation.   But reading further I don't think that applies to homeschool but just a regular non-public school.  Do any NC homeschooling families on here know?  

I've never heard homeschooler mention this, and I don't see anything about it in the homeschool section of the DNPE website.

ETA: found it http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh104.aspx ---only applies to private schools, much like the sanitation/fire/safety standards, periodic testing (rather than yearly), etc. You want the homeschool section http://www.ncdnpe.org/Default.aspx .

I thought I read somewhere on there that I (as the administrator) need to establish a minimum score on a standardized test for graduation.   But reading further I don't think that applies to homeschool but just a regular non-public school.  Do any NC homeschooling families on here know?  

There is no minimum score requirement. :) Your student must take a standardized achievement test once a year, and you will keep that in your records.

There is no minimum score requirement. :) Your student must take a standardized achievement test once a year, and you will keep that in your records.

Actually, they did try to establish a minimum score requirement for homeschoolers, in the early years. It caused quite an uproar. 

They got so much flak that they quickly withdrew that proposal!  Homeschoolers patiently (or, not so patiently!) pointed out that all education systems have some below normal students. That the very nature of percentile ranking on a standardized test is to spread out the population over a continuum. So!--if homeschoolers were to be sentenced to public school if they fell below a certain percentile, then what would they do with the publicschoolers who fell in that range? Sentence them to homeschooling? :)

We were homeschooling here in NC in those early years, and were one of those families who actually received home visits from the head of DNPE. I remember talking to Rod Helder about this issue. He said that although they technically (by law) had the right to look at our scores, they didn't want to open that can of worms! In those days, they would just stick the results in a file and keep them there, didn't even compile a record of what we were scoring.