Menu

Hanging a rolled, laminated poster

Okay, so I've had this rolled up laminated wall map… and I've tried to flatten it out a number of ways: months under the living room rug, flat under a tablecloth on my table… Nothing is working!!!  And I haven't been able to hang it successfully with poster tape, regular tape, thumb tacks.  I don't really want to frame it (expensive, and I hope to have a nicer-looking one framed eventually) so that's out.  Please, please any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I ought to mention…I want to hang this particular poster on a walk that has textured wallpaper?  (Ick, I know, but we haven't been able to re-do this room since we moved in.)  Another possible place in the dining room wall which has textured paint.  If that info makes any difference….

thanks!!!

I just got a 24X36 unframed cork board from Hobby Lobby for $10 with the 40% coupon.  I was going to frame our timeline but decided that would be too pricey.  The cork board might give you the structure you need to hold it so it doesn't curl.  You can find thumb tacks that have paper clips for hanging things.  Try the office supply.  

I'd build a frame out of meter-stick sized wood and tack the map to the frame. By "frame" I'm thinking more like "framing a house" than "framing a picture."  I can vision it in my mind but am not being articulate at all...

I put Velcro on my large wall maps. This is the 3rd home I've hung them up that way. It works really well. It might damage the wallpaper when you are ready to remove the Velcro that is attached to the wall. If you are careful, or aren't overly concerned about it, it is an easy and inexpensive option.

~Sue

We had a similar problem...not sure about how to advise hanging it based on your wall...ours was in log so pretty indestructible...but to get it to hang well, I used that sticky putty for poster hanging and attached a few quarters along the back side bottom edge to weight it down (so it was only attached to the wall at the top). Worked great!

What is mdf?

Medium density fiberboard (I think that's right).  DH says it's basically sawdust and glue.  You buy it in the lumber department in a store like Home Depot.  It comes in various thicknesses, usually one side is smooth and the other side is a little rough.

Anyway, I have the same issue with a laminated timeline.  I haven't tried the Command strips, I think I'm going to try that next.

I put Velcro on my large wall maps. This is the 3rd home I've hung them up that way. It works really well. It might damage the wallpaper when you are ready to remove the Velcro that is attached to the wall. If you are careful, or aren't overly concerned about it, it is an easy and inexpensive option.

~Sue

I hang large wall maps with Velcro too.  Our walls are painted, not papered, though.