Menu

May Movie Thread! Let's share or recommend movies we've seen.

unsinkable

The summer movie season is fast approaching and I thought it'd be fun to share movies we've seen.

Anything goes though...not just new releases. Share any movie that you've seen, whether at the theatre, on TV, Netflix, or from your own personal movie stash.

Let's try to keep it spoiler free, so we don't ruin anything for anyone.

Oops...here's my movie:

The Way Way Back (2013) It is now on demand on HBO. Rated PG-13.

Starring Steve Carrell (not his usual character type), Toni Collete, Allison Janney (she is super funny)

Directed by Jim Rash ( the dean from Community)

A boy goes to a beach house with his mom, her boyfriend and his daughter.

I really enjoyed it. A summer-y story of a boy coming into his own.

We Bought a Zoo. Love that movie. There's a short scene with some swearing, but we didn't find it offensive because of the reason for the swearing.

Nim's Island. Very cute movie.

National Velvet. 'Nuff said (if y'all like to read, you could read the book after you watch the movie. Quite different!)

Lassie Come-Home. (Ditto.)

Snowball Express. Sixties Disney movie. We LOL in some places.

Apple Dumpling Gang. (Ditto)

Oops...here's my movie:

Starring Steve Carrell (not his usual character type), Toni Collete, Allison Janney (she is super funny)

I saw this one and really liked it, too!  It was different.  Not formulaic.  

Oops...here's my movie:

Good movie! It features "Water Wizz", a water park in Rhode Island very close to where I grew up. We've been there and my kids had a lot of fun.

Well, seeing 3 Days to Kill gave me a huge Kevin Costner crush. I thought it was a nice mix of action & family (w/ some humor), esp. if you are dealing w/ teens in your life, lol.

Enjoyed Monuments Men too. (I read the book, but my family did not -- we all enjoyed it.)

Did not like Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (Chris Pine, Keira Knightley, Kenneth Branagh, & Kevin Costner too) -- too stressful, imo, but dh liked it ok.

Just finished What Maisie Knew.... AAAHHHHH!!!! Where's the bawl your eyes out emoticon?? So beautiful, so sad, the kid... is amazing.

I enjoyed Barbara, a German film which was very good. I'm all about the foreign films now that I have glasses and can see the subtitles. :)

Looking at a list of 2013 movies & ones so far in 2014, here are some of my comments on some that I saw...

Fun/entertaining:

The Croods

Iron Man 3 (loved the first one & this one; really disliked #2)

Star Trek: Into Darkness

The Great Gatsby (on the fence on this one -- loved parts, didn't love other parts)

Now You See Me (the dc & I really enjoyed this one!)

Much Ado About Nothing

The Wolverine

2 Guns

American Hustle

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (ds & I loved this one; very low-key & wonderful)

The Monuments Men

3 Days to Kill ( :D )

Ok/so-so:

Olympus Has Fallen (too intense for me)

White House Down (again, too intense, imo)

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (I thought it was ok, but my dc hated it)

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (too intense for me)

Uh, I think I saw it but don't remember anything about it:

A Good Day to Die Hard

And, a couple more trailers, just because I can put two in a post... ;)

I haven't seen too many movies lately but recently saw:

Star Trek: Into Darkness--enjoyed this one. Ds1, who sees fewer movies than I do, watched this one 3 times.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas--WWII, about a boy whose dad is the commander of a concentration camp

My teens and I watched The Importance of Being Earnest with Colin Firth on Netflix this week. We all enjoyed it.

They also watched Waking Ned Divine and The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain on Netflix. They loved Waking Ned Divine. 

Just watched the Transformers trilogy in preparation for the new one coming out, really enjoyed them.

In honor of summer coming, One Crazy Summer, one, because John Cusack and two, because it was filmed locally. ;)

Sharknado because we can't get enough of Asylum films and the new one is coming out in July

Avengers

Better off Dead is another quirky John Cusack favorite as well as Grosse Point Blank

Independence Day is a summer tradition too.

Much Ado About Nothing and Midsummer Nights Dream

10 Things I Hate About You

absolutely love the latest 3 Bond films with Daniel Craig

Cowboys Vs. Aliens because Daniel Craig in chaps. ;)

always love a good Fast and Furious marathon

Dd16 and I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel recently. We both enjoyed it, although  it was more my speed than hers. Quirky, funny...with a dark and melancholy core.

I just saw that too, quirky is the word for it.  Wasn't my cup of tea, exactly but my friends loved it.

Beasts of the Southern Wild is a favorite from a couple of years ago. It was nominated for Best Pic but didn't have a snowball's chance. It's about a resilient little girl living in The Bathtub, essentially a flood zone where people are not supposed to live, and the community there. That's a poor description--it's got AMAZING visuals, and the actress just inhabits that character.

Moonrise Kingdom--quirky, interesting, artsy, hilarious comedy about...about...well, there's a family on an island, and the girl runs off with a boy, and there's some innocent touching (which, to me, is done in a quirky and non-offensive way), but it's also about the parents, and about the Scouts, and...I loved it.

Just saw Black Hawk Down again (Netflix). Wow--soooo intense. Excellent camera work, "war movie" but about Somalia. Graphic, thrilling, heartbreaking, nail-biter...Really a fine movie.

5 Broken Cameras--documentary but with a story. About Palestinians/Israelis. Feels one-sided until you realize you have not fully appreciated that side. (Not to be controversial, but I did so appreciate it.)

Arranged-- A favorite here. Two young women who meet as teachers at a Brooklyn school. They find similarities in the midst of very different religious philosophies (Islam and Orthodox Judaism) and become friends--both are going thru the process of finding a spouse thru arrangement. Sweet, funny, mostly quite clean, entertaining--my dd loves this movie, too.

I just saw Philomena and Labor Day.    I was going to wait and read them both, but then decided not to.   They were both enjoyable-not happy or fun but they drew me in.  Labor Day was a surprise to me, I expected it to stink for some reason.  I am not Catholic, but I know some Catholic friends were upset by Philomena, so beware. 

Ironically I waited to see The Monuments Men until I finished the book, which was just awful.   I hope the movie is better.

Count me in an another fan of The Way, Way Back. Great film!

Hubby and I just enjoyed Rushmore from Netflix.  We are kinda in a Wes Anderson spree at the moment. His Moonrise Kingdom is fantastic.

Philomena also very good (and we are Catholic).

Just saw "The Railway Man" yesterday, and I'd recommend it.  It's the true story of a British soldier who was a POW at a Japanese labor camp during WWII, who then finds out years later that his tormentor is still alive.  He meets him face to face, again.  A very, very powerful and inspiring ending.  (It's not for children.  There are some difficult-to-watch torture scenes in it.)

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a couple more on demand from Cinemax and HBO:

Two Guns (trailer posted by Stacia up thread!) an entertaining riff on a cop/buddy film. Mark Walhberg and Denzel Washington.

We are the Millers. Totally raunchy, stupid-funny movie. I LOLed often, but it's not for everyone!

Has anyone seen any recent releases? Spider-Man?

What are y'all doing talking about movies for the summer?! You must not be from the PNW where summer is THE season to be outdoors. ;-)  

But, I do love to watch movies so you are drawing me in... I did see Odd Thomas just a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed it; it was definitely set up to have a sequel or become a TV series (I thought).

Anyone see "Mom's Night Out"? 

Dd16 and I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel recently. We both enjoyed it, although  it was more my speed than hers. Quirky, funny...with a dark and melancholy core.

I want to see this, but now I'm worried the end is sad somehow...?  (Don't tell me here if that's spoiling...)

I saw Mom's Night Out and Draft Day within the past two weeks.

Mom's Night Out was AWESOME! Seriously, it was SO funny. The kind of movie where everyone in the theater is laughing uncontrollably. And best part....it's CLEAN!

Draft Day....surprisingly decent. I went with DH who is a die hard NFL fan. I wasn't expecting much....it was pretty good though.

Nah. I read the book and really liked it. I thought they kept the humor and style. Sure they had to cut some parts out, but it still worked. The ending gets me every time. 

I'm on book 4 now. I struggled through book 3. 

I looked it up since it got 2 recs' here..  It says it's a horror film... but what you say makes me wonder.   Is it a scary/horror flick?

What are y'all doing talking about movies for the summer?! You must not be from the PNW where summer is THE season to be outdoors. ;-)

But, I do love to watch movies so you are drawing me in... I did see Odd Thomas just a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed it; it was definitely set up to have a sequel or become a TV series (I thought).

Anyone see "Mom's Night Out"?

I started the thread bc many "blockbuster" type movies are released in the summer.

I do not get to see many myself when they are first released but I like hearing other people's reviews.

I also figured there is no sense limiting it to new releases. Sometimes people have more free time in the summer to catch up on movies released years ago.

I just watched "Miss Potter" on Amazon Prime with Renee Zellwigger and Ewan McGregor.  I enjoyed it…although Renee was a little annoying. I knew nothing about Beatrix Potter's life so it was really interesting.  

I watched a couple more on demand from Cinemax and HBO:

Two Guns (trailer posted by Stacia up thread!) an entertaining riff on a cop/buddy film. Mark Walhberg and Denzel Washington.

We are the Millers. Totally raunchy, stupid-funny movie. I LOLed often, but it's not for everyone!

Has anyone seen any recent releases? Spider-Man?

I loved We are the Millers but could not think of a single person to recommend it to because of the trashy bits.  Still great R rated uplifting family movie.  :001_rolleyes:

I loved We are the Millers but could not think of a single person to recommend it to because of the trashy bits. Still great R rated uplifting family movie. :001_rolleyes:

Rose O'Reilly: You're not a neighbor. You're a drug dealer. Whose apartment smells like cheese and feet.

David Clark: Mm. Yeah, it's a candle I got from Anthropologie. 'Cheesy Feet' is what they call it. It's a best-seller.

I can't remember if I've shared this with the Hive before, but Flypaper was TERRIFIC!

There are very few new movies I watch and walk away feeling like I have seen something fresh. I liked this one so much I watched it twice. It is available for streaming on Netflix.

We've recently watched:

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty- My dh liked it. I'll admit I was too engrossed in my laptop to really pay attention.

Diana- I was surprised how much I liked this. I think the movie got bad reviews, though. It focuses mainly on the last 2 years of her life and her relationship with that heart surgeon. 

I introduced my dd's to Ferris Bueller's Day Off. They were seriously impressed. That movies stands the test of time! 

I watched Ghost on a whim. Always a classic.

I really want to see the new movie Neighbor's that's out in theaters now. I think it looks extremely funny. 

Labor Day- I didn't like it. I thought it was boring.

Seven Psychopaths. I guess it's a couple years old but I'd never heard of it. A dark crime comedy, violent but still I got a kick out of it. The characters had some terrific lines.

Yep, I enjoyed that one too. Christopher Walken. Need I say more?

(And, for CW fans, I love this story.)

I loved We are the Millers but could not think of a single person to recommend it to because of the trashy bits. 

Didn't see that one. But, for those who are ok w/ trashy, R-rated movies, I love:

The Hangover (only the first one)

Horrible Bosses

Both are so wrong & completely hilarious.

http://youtu.be/2S-AemtP6Jo

I'm excited to see so many people recommending Odd Thomas! I saw it listed on Netflix the other day- I had no idea there was a movie! I love Dean Koontz and his Odd series is fantastic!

I went to see Mom's Nght Out and it was hilarious! The funniest movie I have seen in a long time. Maybe ever! I never watch something more than once, but I am planning on going again and buying it on DVD too! It really, really was the best movie ever!

I saw Mom's Night Out and Draft Day within the past two weeks.

Mom's Night Out was AWESOME! Seriously, it was SO funny. The kind of movie where everyone in the theater is laughing uncontrollably. And best part....it's CLEAN!

I went to see Mom's Nght Out and it was hilarious! The funniest movie I have seen in a long time. Maybe ever! I never watch something more than once, but I am planning on going again and buying it on DVD too! It really, really was the best movie ever!

We went to watch Journey to the South Pacific at our (relatively) local Imax theater on Mother's Day and really enjoyed the scenery - it definitely made us want to travel and dive/snorkel...

Yesterday (middle son's birthday) we went to see God's Not Dead and enjoyed it.  It wasn't what I expected, but nonetheless, I give it a thumbs up to Christians - definitely not something that those who are not Christian (or seeking) would enjoy.  We had some good conversations in the car afterward.

Tonight we're going to add Heaven is Real - can't comment on that one yet, obviously.

AND, we saw the trailer for Mom's Night Out so I'm REALLY glad to read the quoted "reviews" as we're adding that one to next week's plans.  It looked Hilarious... even the boys were interested.

And no, we don't usually go to the theater quite so often.  We're doing more now due to having middle son home from college - saved South Pacific to watch with him and both boys have had multiple friends who have watched the other two, so we're joining the crowd.  Mom's Night Out is on the list due to their trailer...  Million Dollar Arm looks interesting too.  And Annie.  We may be seeing quite a few (for us) movies this summer.

ETA:  Duh, we finally got around to watching Frozen too.  Boys (20 and 18) loved it.  Hubby and I scratched our heads and are still wondering what all the "love" is all about with that one.  I'm afraid it might mean we're getting old...

ETA:  Duh, we finally got around to watching Frozen too.  Boys (20 and 18) loved it.  Hubby and I scratched our heads and are still wondering what all the "love" is all about with that one.  I'm afraid it might mean we're getting old...

We finally saw Frozen too and I thought the "Love" part was the best thing about the whole movie. It was unexpected and a nice departure from tradition. It showed that an act of Love means something more than just a kiss between members of the opposite sex. It is a moment of selflessness. It can be performed by anybody, for anybody, even for someone who hasn't always been loving back. It was a universal, timeless message that I commend Disney for.

We finally saw Frozen too and I thought the "Love" part was the best thing about the whole movie. It was unexpected and a nice departure from tradition. It showed that an act of Love means something more than just a kiss between members of the opposite sex. It is a moment of selflessness. It can be performed by anybody, for anybody, even for someone who hasn't always been loving back. It was a universal, timeless message that I commend Disney for.

Oh we got the "love" in the movie.  We're missing the love "of" the movie.  It was an "ok" movie for us, but would never make our Top 50/100/whatever list.  It's not on our list of "yuck" movies either, like say, War of the Worlds II, that I think ranks as our all time "low." 

It's just "another" movie to us and one we're glad we saw so now we know what people are talking about.  ;)

Oh we got the "love" in the movie.  We're missing the love "of" the movie.  It was an "ok" movie for us, but would never make our Top 50/100/whatever list.  It's not on our list of "yuck" movies either, like say, War of the Worlds II, that I think ranks as our all time "low." 

It's just "another" movie to us and one we're glad we saw so now we know what people are talking about.  ;)

Ha, ha. Oops. So sorry. I actually agree with that. Ok movie, but nothing to rave about.

(Not a good excuse, but experiences elsewhere led me to assume, and you know what they say about that.)

We just saw Amazing Spiderman on Mother's Day. We were on vacation and dh and I pick one movie to go see, usually an action summer blockbuster. It was Spiderman or Captain America.

We should have seen Captain America. :)

Spiderman was just ok. Both of us really liked the first one and after this one both of us kind of just shrugged and said "eh". It's too long and too complicated. And there are some sloppy plot points that just didn't make sense. I don't mean nit-picky stuff about how the action happened, I'm fine suspending belief in an action /superhero movie. But these were more like characters acting in ways that didn't make sense or major plot points that weren't really explained in a satisfying way.