Menu

Itching at night for no apparent reason….

VaKim

Anybody know what in the world could be causing this? I already barely sleep, but lately have been itching in random places when I am trying to get to sleep. My nose will itch, then my leg, my ear, my head, my side, my back, etc. Just little itches that one scratch takes care of. I don't have any rash or bumps or dry skin. It is just like when I was taking oxycodone after my surgery a couple years ago and it would cause that itching. But I'm not taking anything now. Any ideas? Maybe I'm just finally going crazy from lack of sleep?

Are you in meno or perimeno? It's common to have itching.

I've had it--here's a link.

I try to super-hydrate--a gallon of water a day has been helping (haven't yet gotten to a full gallon, but I'm drinking much more than I used to).

I also have severely cut sugar/simple carbs (all carbs, really) and am slowly adding them back in.

I find artificial sweetners, esp aspartame, seem to cause several symptoms, including itching. I say seem to, because I'm not sure.

It does sound like your nerves in your skin are acting up. Stress can be an issue--and lack of sleep doesn't help.

No Dr. here, but it seems to me that sleep is quite restorative--maybe your skin nerves are over-reactive because they aren't "resting" enough.

Hope that doesn't sound whack-a-doodle!

I itch at night too.  It isn't bedbugs. It can be in ANY bed.  DH doesn't itch at all.  I can be on vacation and as long as it is night, I start itching.  I think it is peri-menopause.  Although I will say that when I went off of wheat 100% it got much better.

Are you in meno or perimeno? It's common to have itching.

I've had it--here's a link.

I try to super-hydrate--a gallon of water a day has been helping (haven't yet gotten to a full gallon, but I'm drinking much more than I used to).

I also have severely cut sugar/simple carbs (all carbs, really) and am slowly adding them back in.

I find artificial sweetners, esp aspartame, seem to cause several symptoms, including itching. I say seem to, because I'm not sure.

It does sound like your nerves in your skin are acting up. Stress can be an issue--and lack of sleep doesn't help.

No Dr. here, but it seems to me that sleep is quite restorative--maybe your skin nerves are over-reactive because they aren't "resting" enough.

Hope that doesn't sound whack-a-doodle!

I thought it might have something to do with menopause, as I had my uterus and ovaries out due to ovarian cancer 2 years ago. But it is only at night. And only recently. 

No bed bugs. Or else they don't like dh. :-)

I wonder if you aren't right about the lack of sleep itself having something to do with it. 

Not wanting to scare you, but I think liver problems can cause night time itching. That being said, I often itch at night and I think it's just dry skin and I'm more aware of the itching because I'm not distracted by other stuff. Hope you figure it out!

I second the stress. Try taking a calcium/magnesium supplement. Together they act like a muscle relaxer, and it helps relieve tension/stress, helps you relax so you can fall asleep faster. Works for me when I get itching or twitching.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I am positive it isn't detergent or any kind of bugs, rash, allergies, etc. It isn't a horrible itch or anything, like some were talking about. It is just that I will be lying there, and maybe my nose will get a little itch. I rub it or scratch it just a bit and it is fine. Next perhaps a spot on my leg will get a little itch. I rub or scratch it and it is gone. Wash, rinse, repeat, only with different spots here and there on my body. Like I mentioned, the only thing I can compare it with is the little itchy thing that would happen when I took a narcotic at bedtime. But I'm not taking anything now. I already do take quite a bit of magnesium. It doesn't really seem to do a thing for me in the relaxation/sleep department. 

The liver thing is interesting, but I don't think it is that kind of itching. And my liver was fine last doctor visit. No sugar problems that I know of, but that hasn't been checked in forever. No other symptoms of that though. 

I am thinking it is probably related to the menopause thing, like a pp said. Just another lovely addition to the hot flashes and night sweats.  :001_rolleyes: