Menu

Math Choices with public charter/virtual school

Dc (4th and 6th grade) are most likely going to be enrolled in one of our state's public charter/virtual schools next year. We do get some choices in curricula. Math is where I'm having difficulty choosing. I'm not too concerned with dd (4th grade), she's a very easy student, and I think she'll do fine in any of the choices.

However, ds (6th grade) hates, absolutely hates, math. He has primarily done Horizons over K-5, with a few short stints with Math Mammoth and BJU Math. He 'liked' BJU the most, but it didn't have enough review, and he wasn't retaining what he'd previously learned. He is at grade level in math, but believes he is bad at math and doesn't understand it. He is very advanced in reading/language arts. I think that because he's strong in those areas, and math doesn't come as easily to him, is why he has such an aversion to math.

So, the choices for 6th grade math for him are: Math in Focus, Saxon w/ Saxon Teacher, Math U See, or an online program through FLVS. What would you choose in this situation? We're not stuck with our choice, if it really isn't working. But, I'd like him to feel more successful in math and not switch him around anymore.

Not knowing the difference between any of those math programs you mentioned, the only thing I can say is that my DD thought she was bad in math when she left public school, despite a solid "B" average.  We used Saxon this year, and she is no longer stressed over math and has an "A" average on their tests.  It's worked for us and DD wants to stick with it. It has tons and tons of built in review, which your son might do well with.  Be forewarned:  it isn't a sexy program , LOL!  Lots of black and white print and just straight math problems and explanations with nothing fancy.  Perhaps someone can chime in and tell you what differences (if any) there are between Saxon school math and Saxon homeschool math.

Thanks.....I'm leaning towards Saxon. I've looked at Math U See samples many times, but he's just not a 'hands on' kid, and I think it would also be difficult to switch to that in 6th grade.

The school uses the Saxon Homeschool Kit. I know there's nothing flashy about Saxon, but it's probably the most 'similar' to what he's been using--more traditional approach to math. I also like that we can use Saxon Teacher (although I will probably substitute with Art Reed's DVD) to teach the lesson.'

Any other suggestions/advice welcome! :-)

If your kid needs a lot of review, I would definitely go with Saxon out of those choices. I've looked at Saxon many times over the years because there are always tons of copies on the shelf at our charter's lending library. It seems like a solid program but all the review would drive my kids bonkers. However, the reason why it would be a bad "fit" for my kids is precisely the reason why it works for many other kids.

For my own kids, I would pick MiF out of those listed choices because they've done well in Singapore (my oldest is in 8A and my 2nd is in 4A). That's the great thing about home education- it's not a "one size fits all" thing :-)

If your kid needs a lot of review, I would definitely go with Saxon out of those choices. I've looked at Saxon many times over the years because there are always tons of copies on the shelf at our charter's lending library. It seems like a solid program but all the review would drive my kids bonkers. However, the reason why it would be a bad "fit" for my kids is precisely the reason why it works for many other kids.

For my own kids, I would pick MiF out of those listed choices because they've done well in Singapore (my oldest is in 8A and my 2nd is in 4A). That's the great thing about home education- it's not a "one size fits all" thing :-)

The amount of review in Saxon is why I've hesitated with it in the past. But, he does need some regular review for better retention. Since you're using MiF, how difficult do you think it would be for him to start MiF in 6th grade coming from a more traditional program like Horizons?

The amount of review in Saxon is why I've hesitated with it in the past. But, he does need some regular review for better retention. Since you're using MiF, how difficult do you think it would be for him to start MiF in 6th grade coming from a more traditional program like Horizons?

If he doesn't like math and doesn't think he's good at it then I think MiF would be a very bad fit. My kids use SM and we dabble in MIF, I think MIF is more difficult.

I've never used Saxon but it works really well for a lot of people.

It's a completely different program. MIF spends a LOT of time on multi-step, difficult, word problems. It has a narrower, deeper scope & sequence. Horizons goes much wider and much shallower. I wouldn't say it's TOO shallow, but MIF is unnecessarily deep IMO.

After my son finished CLE 500s, we tried MIF 5. The concepts were review, but the problems were more like brain teasers than math problems. I like that sort of thing, but it was COMPLETELY over my son's head. He has a language disability and MIF was so focused on word problems ... but even with a neurotypical kid, if they haven't built up to that level of puzzling, then I think MIF would be too much to jump into.

It's a completely different program. MIF spends a LOT of time on multi-step, difficult, word problems. It has a narrower, deeper scope & sequence. Horizons goes much wider and much shallower. I wouldn't say it's TOO shallow, but MIF is unnecessarily deep IMO.

After my son finished CLE 500s, we tried MIF 5. The concepts were review, but the problems were more like brain teasers than math problems. I like that sort of thing, but it was COMPLETELY over my son's head. He has a language disability and MIF was so focused on word problems ... but even with a neurotypical kid, if they haven't built up to that level of puzzling, then I think MIF would be too much to jump into.

Thank you.....I haven't been able to see many samples of MiF, but it doesn't sound like a good fit for him....especially starting at 6th grade.

I plan to get Art Reed's DVDs also, when my daughter gets into advanced math (that's where my confidence in teaching math will wane, LOL).

Thanks.....I'm leaning towards Saxon. I've looked at Math U See samples many times, but he's just not a 'hands on' kid, and I think it would also be difficult to switch to that in 6th grade.

The school uses the Saxon Homeschool Kit. I know there's nothing flashy about Saxon, but it's probably the most 'similar' to what he's been using--more traditional approach to math. I also like that we can use Saxon Teacher (although I will probably substitute with Art Reed's DVD) to teach the lesson.'

Any other suggestions/advice welcome! :-)