Menu

Can I get your opinion on this? (Another update #44)

*Alyssa*

Actually, this is a lesson I learned today.  :o   So many times I want to do something for someone, but then I fear I'll mess it up somehow, so I end up doing nothing.  That is probably a big reason why I came on here to ask what others thought, because surely I was about to mess it up and someone would stop me if I was!  Well, I'm glad to know I wasn't going to mess things up and you all assured me of that.  Meanwhile, the story of today's simple act of kindness has already shown more fruit since I last updated and I think this is the beginning of a wonderful relationship with our neighbors!  :blush:

**So here's the update**

Shortly after I posted my last update, my neighbor came to my door and knocked.  I couldn't answer the door, because I was nursing a newborn.  She had something in her hand, but I didn't know what it was or what it could possibly be.  A few hours later, my dh came home and I asked him to go over there to let her know we weren't ignoring her.  He did.  She was overwhelmed by the gesture, to say the least, and kept telling him how she wanted to meet me.  She was sorry we hadn't met sooner and apologized for this.  She expressed her gratitude over and over, while holding back tears and telling him little tid bits about her daughter. 

She handed him what she had initially brought over, which was her daughter's funeral pamphlet.  She said she normally wouldn't give this to just anyone, but was so touched by what we did that she wanted us to have it.  I must say, this was the most beautiful funeral pamphlet I had ever seen, and really touched my heart as to how well it was done.  I cried my eyes out reading about her life, seeing all her pictures, and completely lost it reading the letter her mother and father wrote to her.  So beautiful and so sad.  :crying:

For her to have given me this pamphlet with such intimate details really touched me in a very deep way, because ladies, she has refused to even look at me since her daughter died.  Now she wants to meet me beyond a hand wave from ages ago?  I'm in shock, but I'm also in awe that such a small act of kindness broke down this very obvious brick wall between us that seems to have been demolished instantly.  I'm not sure what kind of beginning this is, but it is clearly going to be something good.  I'm so blessed!  :001_wub:

Truly, it is more blessed to give than to receive.  For all of you who said this blessed you today, I encourage you to go out and do something like this, too.  Pass it on.  You won't regret it!  :thumbup:

***On a side note, this was not her only daughter, but the only child of her husband.  She has two other young adult "children".  Still, I'm glad I chose to leave out anything about our loss in our message to her.  My dh briefly mentioned our loss to her, but still tried to make sure he kept the focus on her daughter.  This is her day, not ours.  We both prefer it that way, but now she knows we have loved and lost, too.  Hopefully that only helped create a further breakdown of the wall that was between us.

You really blessed me today.  I'll share this with you today and hope it offends no one.

2 Corinthians 1

3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

What a blessing you were to your neighbor and how beautiful that you remembered.