Menu

*Need some Math guidance...please*

mommybee

Ok Peoples, can you give me some help here?

My oldest is working on Saxon 7/6 right now and I have had it with Saxon at this point. It's just gotten to the point where it's time for us to change it up. Saxon if you do it every year just gets boring in my opinion. Same old format year after year, so it's time to move on.

I just can't remember where to go from here. I expect my boy to get through a high level of math and I want something that is geared for that. I went through pre-calculus and don't have too much worry I can get him through.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I am scared to spend money and get the wrong program, but no one seems to sell anything like Jacob's so I can take a look.

All you math people out there can you share once again some good curriculum choices for me and as a side note how the heck does one work through Euclids books and get your regular math done as well.

Confused in CA:)

Here are some programs that I have gleaned from the high school boards. I was able to get many of the Algebra texts from inter-library loan. Here is my list (with some notes):

Algebra Choices:

MUS (not so rigorous)

Life of Fred (humorous)

Foerster’s Algebra 1 (most rigorous) #1 choice so far

Jacob’s Elementary Algebra (cartoons)

Lial’s Introductory Algebra (solid)

Dolciani’s (also rigorous)

NEM (Singapore)

Geometry Choices:

Jacob’s Geometry

Life of Fred

Patty Paper Geometry (supplement)

Zome Geometry

Algebra II:

Foerster's Algebra II and Trignometry

Life of Fred

There are also things like Teaching Textbooks, but I have a degree in math and that would take all the fun out of homeschooling for me.

HTHs!

Here are some programs that I have gleaned from the high school boards. I was able to get many of the Algebra texts from inter-library loan. Here is my list (with some notes):

Algebra Choices:

MUS (not so rigorous)

Life of Fred (humorous)

Foerster’s Algebra 1 (most rigorous) #1 choice so far

Jacob’s Elementary Algebra (cartoons)

Lial’s Introductory Algebra (solid)

Dolciani’s (also rigorous)

NEM (Singapore)

Geometry Choices:

Jacob’s Geometry

Life of Fred

Patty Paper Geometry (supplement)

Zome Geometry

Algebra II:

Foerster's Algebra II and Trignometry

Life of Fred

There are also things like Teaching Textbooks, but I have a degree in math and that would take all the fun out of homeschooling for me.

HTHs!

Thanks so much! This is just the kind of list I was looking for.

Teaching Textbooks is definitely not for us. I know it's great for some, so no offense, but I really feel we can handle something more rigorous.

Can you really get a lot of these from the library? I hadn't even thought of doing that.

mommybee, you should post your question on the High School board as well.

There are a few mathy people there who don't frequent this board as much.

You might want to put something about needing a more rigorous math program in your subject line.

mommybee, you should post your question on the High School board as well.

There are a few mathy people there who don't frequent this board as much.

You might want to put something about needing a more rigorous math program in your subject line.

Duh! I should of thought of that myself. I hardly post on anything other than the general board so forgot all about that.

Thanks....will do.