Menu

AP Exam Study Tips and Commiserations

:party:   

Yeah!!!!  English Lang is done!!  Ds said he felt better about it coming out than going in.  He is toast now, though..  That type of stress is exhausting.

Now, he has to do it all over again next Friday for Comparative Govt. and Politics.

Tell your guy, "best of luck" from us for the Govt. test.  Ds says he is really going to miss his classmates. I am glad a few of them will get to be together again next year.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DD was prepped to take AP English tomorrow, but the HS where she planned to take the test call today to say they were short a test and bumped her to the 23rd. They're searching to see if there are enough tests for the history test she signed up for and planned to take next week. Darn! The high school already cashed my check. My tip: Make sure the place you plan to take the test has the test.  

Was she able to take the place of a no show? I can't imagine being ready and then having to wait. :grouphug:

Well, my dear son survived the Friday afternoon Stats exam despite my qualms about the time slot. He feels like he did well (confident of a 5). He was very relaxed and laughing with the proctor when he came out...ds was the only AP Stats student...quite different from Lisa's son's 175 for his English exam!!

Next year...Eng. Lang. and Chemistry. (Thank you, Jen in NY, for mentioning Kathryn Walker...my son I am looking forward to her class next year!)

Well, my dear son survived the Friday afternoon Stats exam despite my qualms about the time slot. He feels like he did well (confident of a 5). He was very relaxed and laughing with the proctor when he came out...ds was the only AP Stats student...quite different from Lisa's son's 175 for his English exam!!

Next year...Eng. Lang. and Chemistry. (Thank you, Jen in NY, for mentioning Kathryn Walker...my son I am looking forward to her class next year!)

I understand-my dd was the only student sitting her AP exam.  She couldn't decide if it was more relaxing or she needed the push from other students in the room.  Judging by her response when leaving it was relaxing in the end.  I will say that means she has much to adjust to before she hits her first big lecture class in college. 

Good luck every one!!

I understand-my dd was the only student sitting her AP exam.  She couldn't decide if it was more relaxing or she needed the push from other students in the room.  Judging by her response when leaving it was relaxing in the end.  I will say that means she has much to adjust to before she hits her first big lecture class in college. 

Good luck every one!!

Yes, mine was the only AP Latin student.  I think that was probably good because it was very quiet with no distractions.  This summer we launch into dual enrollment, and I looked and there are 22 students registered right now.  So that will be a little different, although we did group standardized testing for years.

Tomorrow Physics.

I expect my student to bomb it :(

He studied with PAHomeschoolers, but there just isn't the interaction that he needs. No online classes to keep him interested, a discussion forum just isn't what he needs. So yeah, barely there with Physics. No great hopes.

So far APs have been a bust for us anyway. He got a 4 last year in Chemistry, he would have gotten a 5 in Computer science but his exam got LOST. This year I expect a 3 in Physics. Sigh. Just not good enough to gain entrance to the local university. 

I expect my student to bomb it :(

He studied with PAHomeschoolers, but there just isn't the interaction that he needs. No online classes to keep him interested, a discussion forum just isn't what he needs. So yeah, barely there with Physics. No great hopes.

So far APs have been a bust for us anyway. He got a 4 last year in Chemistry, he would have gotten a 5 in Computer science but his exam got LOST. This year I expect a 3 in Physics. Sigh. Just not good enough to gain entrance to the local university.

I think our sons were in all of those classes together :001_smile: .  My ds also got a 4 on the AP Chem exam, but we were thrilled (I have heard it is one of the hardest).  He received a 4 on the AP Comp Sci as well.  He was hoping for a 5, but he took the exam in the office of the local high school and it was a bit noisy.  I am so sorry your son's AP Comp Science exam was lost.  That would be so frustrating. 

My ds has really enjoyed AP Physics this year, but I think that type of class structure fits him well.  He is looking forward to the exam tomorrow.  I looked at your signature and your ds is taking three languages, including Latin and Greek.  Maybe he is just spread too thin (?). 

I would think that colleges would like the fact that a child has challenged himself by taking an AP class, even if they score a 3 on the exam.  Best of luck to your son tomorrow.

I looked at your signature and your ds is taking three languages, including Latin and Greek.  Maybe he is just spread too thin (?). 

I would think that colleges would like the fact that a child has challenged himself by taking an AP class, even if they score a 3 on the exam.  Best of luck to your son tomorrow.

He is studying Latin, but not Greek, that's "Greek and Roman History", not Greek language. As for French, it's our mother tongue. English is the foreign language  :tongue_smilie:

Sigh. Just not good enough to gain entrance to the local university.

Cleo,

Does your son specifically need AP scores for your local university? If not, and they aren't as good as you'd hoped, can you just not submit them to the uni? My oldest didn't take any AP exams. He took the ACT and a couple of SAT2s that he did OK in, not great. He also had some CC classes with a 4.0 average. This all got him into a pretty good engineering school (and he's since graduated and did well there). So AP scores are necessarily needed for college success. Best wishes.

Brenda

He is studying Latin, but not Greek, that's "Greek and Roman History", not Greek language. As for French, it's our mother tongue. English is the foreign language :tongue_smilie:

I thought that was a lot of languages...LOL!!  Although I know some kids can tackle a heavy load of languages. 

Cleo,

Does your son specifically need AP scores for your local university? 

Yes he does. And they need to be 4 or 5, but mostly 5's. And right now he's aiming for mostly 4's. That's not good enough for admission. It's our luck of the draw that our local university is "almost" Ivy League.  And it's definitely one of the top 3 in Canada.  And we get it for less than 3K per year. Yup, 3K$ per university year.  It's hard to consider going elsewhere at that price. So he's got to get in!

Yes he does. And they need to be 4 or 5, but mostly 5's. And right now he's aiming for mostly 4's. That's not good enough for admission. It's our luck of the draw that our local university is "almost" Ivy League.  And it's definitely one of the top 3 in Canada.  And we get it for less than 3K per year. Yup, 3K$ per university year.  It's hard to consider going elsewhere at that price. So he's got to get in!

Wow! I guess I understand the pressure now. Best wishes & prayers for his success on the APs this year!

Brenda

Wow.  That is both awesome and terrifying.  Good luck to both of you!

Tell your guy, "best of luck" from us for the Govt. test.  Ds says he is really going to miss his classmates. I am glad a few of them will get to be together again next year.

Thank you!  We are glad to hear that Sailor Dude felt good about the test, as well!  I am glad they will be in class together next year.  These kids have formed friendships and a deep admiration for each other.  It is a bit like surviving a form of boot camp together!

Ds definitely does not feel as prepared for the Comp Gov test as he did for English Lang.  This was the teacher's first year at PAHS, and while she had extremely interesting speakers, it just does not have the same "prepared" feeling as Mrs. I's class.  I think I will recommend that she go to a format like Mrs. I.  She needed a "Morning Message" to keep the students involved with events in the countries and with each other.

Ds is cramming and sweating a bit this week.  

Our fourteen year old is taking Government tomorrow and then APUSH on Wednesday.  She is supposed to take the late seating of the latin exam on the 23rd as well.  Right now she is social studying by our pool with a few friends but I have decided to just step back and go with that. 

Phys B all done ! 

He feels confident about it. So I guess that means I can hope for a 4. Maybe. Please?

Done for this year. Although, with hindsight, he should have redone Computer Science this year, as College Board *lost* his exam last year. He wants now to do it again next year, but that will be even tougher, as he's got AP Latin, AP Calculus, and AP Biology next year. Ok, fine, he's already done the class for Computer Science, and that's my kid who started programming at age 11. But still, 4 APs in a year ?  That, and they will be too late to influence university admission. Bad decision on our part but both he and I were so mad at College Board...

Physics C over with here. She felt great afterwards--says the FRQs were on the three topics she would have picked. Two of the kids in her class forgot their calculators--oops! Fortunately other students scrounged up spares from cars and backpacks. Yet another perk of a STEM magnet, I suppose. The Calc teacher always attends "her" AP with spare calculators. Guess the physics teacher is not as paternalistic.

Phys B all done ! 

He feels confident about it. So I guess that means I can hope for a 4. Maybe. Please?

Done for this year. Although, with hindsight, he should have redone Computer Science this year, as College Board *lost* his exam last year. He wants now to do it again next year, but that will be even tougher, as he's got AP Latin, AP Calculus, and AP Biology next year. Ok, fine, he's already done the class for Computer Science, and that's my kid who started programming at age 11. But still, 4 APs in a year ?  That, and they will be too late to influence university admission. Bad decision on our part but both he and I were so mad at College Board...

I think one of the toughest things I have to navigate is controlling my urge to toss out something because I've been frustrated (you and the horse you rode in on. . .)  Often I've regretted losing the opportunity that I've passed on. And often, whatever organization had frustrated me is so megalithic that they don't know or care that I've spurned them. 

I'm having some of these emotions every time I look at NCAA eligibility or University of California requirements.  I have to remind myself not to thwart our family goals out of frustration.

Wow, that is a lot of pressure! Good luck to your son!

Ds's first AP exam, Physics B, went well! He had a "Mom, I don't know anything! Nothing! Zero, as in zero percent of the material!" freak out last night, but walked out of the school with a sheepish smile on his face. He enjoyed the experience and is happy with how he did, but it'll likely be a couple years before his next AP exam. 

Ds's first AP exam, Physics B, went well! He had a "Mom, I don't know anything! Nothing! Zero, as in zero percent of the material!" freak out last night, but walked out of the school with a sheepish smile on his face. He enjoyed the experience and is happy with how he did, but it'll likely be a couple years before his next AP exam. 

Woah, your 13yo did Physics B? I'm impressed! I didn't let my own touch Physics before he was 16, and yes he was an accelerated child (algebra at 10)

Mind you, one of the reasons was laziness. Physics is a lot of work, and he would rather be playing video games.  Congrats on your son for choosing a different path.

Physics C over with here. She felt great afterwards--says the FRQs were on the three topics she would have picked. Two of the kids in her class forgot their calculators--oops! Fortunately other students scrounged up spares from cars and backpacks. Yet another perk of a STEM magnet, I suppose. The Calc teacher always attends "her" AP with spare calculators. Guess the physics teacher is not as paternalistic.

Did your dd do mechanics or E & M or both?  My ds took both and thought mechanics was hard, but E & M was very easy.  He is at the Intel ISEF in LA this week, so he took it there with lots of techie kids and he said he felt better afterwards when everyone was talking about how hard mechanics was!

Did your dd do mechanics or E & M or both?  My ds took both and thought mechanics was hard, but E & M was very easy.  He is at the Intel ISEF in LA this week, so he took it there with lots of techie kids and he said he felt better afterwards when everyone was talking about how hard mechanics was!

Mechanics.  I may have referred to it as E&M earlier because I thought it was, but she has since clarified for me.  I will be sure to pass along that the Intel kids thought it was hard--that will be quite comforting!  She said a lot of the kids in her class of 25 or 30 thought it was difficult and that they did not do well.  She wasn't thrilled with her MPQs, but she did the math (how many she knew for sure, how many she had down to two answers, etc.) and figures that even worst-case scenario, she did well enough.  Even with the FRQ topics in her wheelhouse, so to speak, she thought they were tricky.  Very happy to hear that was a popular perception!

My son also thought the mechanics was way harder than the old released College Board exams.  According to the kids on College Confidential, there were two versions of the Mechanics exam - version G and version O.  Version G was considered very easy, while version O was considered brutal.  I just hope that there is a separate curve for each exam.

My son also thought the mechanics was way harder than the old released College Board exams. According to the kids on College Confidential, there were two versions of the Mechanics exam - version G and version O. Version G was considered very easy, while version O was considered brutal. I just hope that there is a separate curve for each exam.

Excellent! My daughter had O. You guys have made her day!

Ds is done! He took Calc BC and Physics B this year. There were only 3 other students taking Calc, and all of them were doing AB. He was the only one taking BC. 

I thought he would be more stressed before the Physics test because he felt less prepared by that class, but the night before he and his siblings watched Sherlock. He said, "Mom, it's the perfect destressor!" LOL

He was the only student taking the Physics test, which surprised him. I'm so thankful for this precious private school that is willing to arrange a proctor for one student, and a homeschooler at that!

After I picked him up yesterday, he looked visibly relieved. That's when I realized that I had been holding my breath too! Glad it's over for this year!
:party:  

Just dropped Rutabaga and Califlower off for US Govt. not sure who was more nervous, them or me.

My oldest son took it this morning, too.  He felt pretty good about it, although he is naturally a pretty optimistic kid, so we'll see what he actually ends up getting!  He didn't spend tons of time on the class throughout the year, but he did review pretty diligently the past week or 2.  He did say he thought 100 minutes for the FRQs was WAYYYYY too long, and that for the last 40 minutes, no one wrote anything, but just looked around or whatever.  He personally drew some lovely tattoos on his arm with his black ball point pen, LOL.  

My kids came out of the US Govt test pretty contented.  The only hitch was that we'd arranged to meet up "at the fountain" and spent almost an hour with them at one fountain and me at the fountain on the other side of campus.

We took a well deserved break at Chick-Fil-A and on the way home I heard that there is a wild fire about 20 min to the east of where they were testing.  In fact it's the other area we considered living in.  The fire is near one high school and two other high schools were being named as evacuation sites for the elementary schools that students were moved out of.  So a disruptive day for kids at those schools.  Our Friday exam is on that side of town, so I'm hoping the fire is quickly under control. 

. I'm so thankful for this precious private school that is willing to arrange a proctor for one student, and a homeschooler at that!

Same for me! Although in our case, it's a public school which is even more surprising!

I could see some local private schools push for the AP and send some students to the States, but for a public school to do it, it's very surprising!

On top of that, our high schools end with grade 11, so they have to get their students ready in grade 11. They manage to do Calc AB!  They also do AP French, which is almost cheating as their students live in a French environment (French TV, radio, friends..), AP Arts, and AP English.

And then they extend their services to whoever wants to pass any AP. Last year, there were 2 in Chemistry (the other one came from the closest thing we have to a community college), and 1 in Computer Science. This year, 1 in Physics. I'm pretty sure DS will also be alone in AP Latin next year.

Can I join in belatedly?  Not APs, but Calvin is 2/3rds the way through his IB exams.  Today he has one maths exam and two history exams.  Last time he had three on one day, he missed lunch because the timing didn't work for him to get to the canteen.  So I sent him with a packed lunch today.  

He's really stressed about the history - he needs to get 6 marks (out of a possible 7) in order to fulfil the offer for his favoured university.  I think he can do it, so long as he has absorbed enough real facts, and isn't relying (as he often does) on winging it.

After this, he has one more history exam tomorrow, then one French exam next week.  Then he's done.  We're both a bit stressed, but hiding it from each other.....

L

Can I join in belatedly? Not APs, but Calvin is 2/3rds the way through his IB exams. Today he has one maths exam and two history exams. Last time he had three on one day, he missed lunch because the timing didn't work for him to get to the canteen. So I sent him with a packed lunch today.

He's really stressed about the history - he needs to get 6 marks (out of a possible 7) in order to fulfil the offer for his favoured university. I think he can do it, so long as he has absorbed enough real facts, and isn't relying (as he often does) on winging it.

After this, he has one more history exam tomorrow, then one French exam next week. Then he's done. We're both a bit stressed, but hiding it from each other.....

L

I hope he stays composed with the press of tests. Best of luck to him and you.

APUSH finished here. She feels great about it. One of the FRQs was on a topic on which she, and only she, had done a big project. Another was a topic on which the entire class had written practice essays last semester, so she just rewrote that essay. She is all through for this year. Now just to wait for July 1!

He seems fairly sanguine about today's exams.  It's impossible to know what that means though.  

He felt that English and Latin didn't go too well last week, but that could just be because he has very high expectations of himself in those two subjects, which he didn't feel he met, but he still could have done well enough.

L

I would appreciate some prayers for this Friday's exam. 

I had to find exam seats while we were still on the East Coast. I pretty much had to cold call schools all around the country to find spots. Friday is Comparative Government, which few schools were offering.  I ended up with seats at a school on the opposite end of the county from where we ended up living.  So there will be 60-90 min trip to the exam site.  Plus, it has been very dry and now hot in the area. There was one wildfire yesterday that affected schools. Today there are a couple new fires that are in the general area of where we'll be testing.

This isn't the sort of background noise that leaves me feeling at ease.

I had to find exam seats while we were still on the East Coast. I pretty much had to cold call schools all around the country to find spots. Friday is Comparative Government, which few schools were offering.  I ended up with seats at a school on the opposite end of the county from where we ended up living.  So there will be 60-90 min trip to the exam site.  Plus, it has been very dry and now hot in the area. There was one wildfire yesterday that affected schools. Today there are a couple new fires that are in the general area of where we'll be testing.

Absolutely.  So sorry you're having to worry about this on top of regular exam stress!  Will definitely be thinking of you all!

Dd took AP Euro history this afternoon. She felt good about the essays but said the MCQ section was horrible. She said the questions were nothing like the ones in her class or in the test prep book.

She took this one at a school in another county. The proctor was...interesting. He was the school's AP coordinator.

First, his e-mail communication with me left much to be desired. He could not give me an address for the location of the test just told me it was "behind an elementary school and next to the railroad tracks." Um...OK, I don't live in the county, let alone the city. His responses to me were a few words long each time with no punctuation. He also told us to get there "around noon" for the afternoon test.

So, I figure out where the test location is. We live about 45 minutes away so planned to be there at 11:30 just to give us enough time for any confusion on finding it. He and the students taking the test from his school did not get there until 12:25. 

When I picked her up, she said that he just let students get up and leave when they were done with the test. We were both under the impression you are not allowed to leave until it is finished. That has been her experience with the other 5 exams she has taken over the past two years. She said she was still working with about 25 minutes left but he was just standing in the doorway staring at her and she was the last one in the room so she felt pressured to just wrap it up.

He did not confiscate their cell phones and did not even tell them to turn them off.

It was definitely a new experience for her. She has macro-econ left tomorrow back with the school she took two exams with last week so at least she will have the structure back. :p

The tests are nerve-wracking enough without test site issues. We'll definitely be thinking of your students on Friday.

He did not confiscate their cell phones and did not even tell them to turn them off.

Wow, that is a major no-no from the College Board.  I was just reading on College Confidential that it is considered cheating just to have your phone on your person, even if you do not use it and do not have any useful information on it.  I don't know if you can ever even rat him out without jeopardizing your daughter's score, but I would be tempted.

So sorry to hear of the testing issues.  What a nitwit coordinator.

Dd took AP Euro history this afternoon. She felt good about the essays but said the MCQ section was horrible. She said the questions were nothing like the ones in her class or in the test prep book.

She took this one at a school in another county. The proctor was...interesting. He was the school's AP coordinator.

First, his e-mail communication with me left much to be desired. He could not give me an address for the location of the test just told me it was "behind an elementary school and next to the railroad tracks." Um...OK, I don't live in the county, let alone the city. His responses to me were a few words long each time with no punctuation. He also told us to get there "around noon" for the afternoon test.

So, I figure out where the test location is. We live about 45 minutes away so planned to be there at 11:30 just to give us enough time for any confusion on finding it. He and the students taking the test from his school did not get there until 12:25.

When I picked her up, she said that he just let students get up and leave when they were done with the test. We were both under the impression you are not allowed to leave until it is finished. That has been her experience with the other 5 exams she has taken over the past two years. She said she was still working with about 25 minutes left but he was just standing in the doorway staring at her and she was the last one in the room so she felt pressured to just wrap it up.

It was definitely a new experience for her. She has macro-econ left tomorrow back with the school she took two exams with last week so at least she will have the structure back. :p

Not so professional. I've found that as people get used to doing email on a phone they drop good communication strategies.

I only skimmed to proctor guide while I was looking for school codes. But I'm pretty confident that not collecting phones and allowing anyone to leave early is a violation of testing proceedures. Unfortunately, complaining to CB could end up with the scores being invalidated. And annoying to coordinator may prevent your testing there again. I think if I were sure I'd never test there again is complain to the school - after scores were released.

My ds took the US Gov't test.  He though the mc was harder than the practice tests he had taken but he was very comfortable with the frq.

He was shocked by the other kids in the room.  He tested with a large private school here.  He said about 3 kids seemed to actually attempt the test.  He said most were sleeping and drawing.  He only saw a couple other kids writing during the frq.  He was quite shocked by it.

I am beginning to think that no test site is without drama :001_smile:

Our testing site was running AP and IB exams concurrently while having protests/demonstrations outside the campus and restricted access.

We combated stress by staying in touch with the on campus exam coordinator, mom remaining on campus during the exam, and leaving lots of time for arrival before the test. 

I wouldn't normally have remained on campus-and haven't before- (even I don't hover quite that much) but under the extreme circumstances it seemed easier and the test site was very accommodating.

Hang in there everyone-the week is almost over!  Best of luck to all on the remaining exams!

Wow, that is a major no-no from the College Board.  I was just reading on College Confidential that it is considered cheating just to have your phone on your person, even if you do not use it and do not have any useful information on it.  I don't know if you can ever even rat him out without jeopardizing your daughter's score, but I would be tempted.

So sorry to hear of the testing issues.  What a nitwit coordinator.

Wow.  Ours confirmed that the phone was off, and had a box to put them in.  This was a different school, but the one that does the SAT had them show that the phone was off and put them against the wall at the front of the room.  They said that if a phone went off, you were automatically booted out.