Menu

dorm room lists, must haves, and leave at home items?

Hoggirl

I am not smart enough to search the forums anymore. :( I am sure there are lists of items somewhere, but I can't locate them. Can those smarter than I link to some former dorm room lists? Alternatively, can we start anew here?

I am mostly concerned about taking TOO much as opposed to not enough.

In addition to long, complete lists, any single items that were espcially helpful would be great to know as well!

Heading into this next phase - shopping!! Woo-hoo!

Someone not on an iPad will have to link the post here for you - There's a great one that one of the folks here compiled.

DD20 said the three things she was most glad to have in the dorm her freshman year were 1) lots of hangers (she's a music major and has performing clothes), 2) a small blanket to wrap up in and 3) a lamp for her desk. A shower caddy and bathrobe came in very handy since showers were down the hall.

Oh - and triple extra charging cables for her phone. One for next to her bed, one for her desk, and one to carry in here backpack.

Since DD was going far away and traveling with a single suitcase and two instruments, we ordered everything (bedding, towels, hangers, etc) off Amazon and had it shipped to her the first week in her dorm. It worked great and she said it felt like Christmas opening all the boxes.

Someone not on an iPad will have to link the post here for you - There's a great one that one of the folks here compiled.

DD20 said the three things she was most glad to have in the dorm her freshman year were 1) lots of hangers (she's a music major and has performing clothes), 2) a small blanket to wrap up in and 3) a lamp for her desk. A shower caddy and bathrobe came in very handy since showers were down the hall.

Oh - and triple extra charging cables for her phone. One for next to her bed, one for her desk, and one to carry in here backpack.

Since DD was going far away and traveling with a single suitcase and two instruments, we ordered everything (bedding, towels, hangers, etc) off Amazon and had it shipped to her the first week in her dorm. It worked great and she said it felt like Christmas opening all the boxes.

What will she do with everything that doesn't fit in the suitcase when she leaves for the summer?   So much easier if the college is only a few hours drive away, so curious about what you will do or what others have done.  

Has anyone found an inexpensive way to ship belongings to college?   I know that Amazon and online shopping are great for new things, but wondering if there's a way to get other stuff to school without huge costs.

What will she do with everything that doesn't fit in the suitcase when she leaves for the summer?   So much easier if the college is only a few hours drive away, so curious about what you will do or what others have done.  

Has anyone found an inexpensive way to ship belongings to college?   I know that Amazon and online shopping are great for new things, but wondering if there's a way to get other stuff to school without huge costs.

Back in the dark ages, when I was in college, out-of-state students were allowed to leave boxes in a storage area in one of the dorms. If that is not an option, I suspect that she can probably convince a friend who lives nearby to store a few boxes for the summer. 

Many colleges allow students to store items in approved containers over the summer. At my college storage rooms were open during spring exam period and we placed items like small refridgerators and storage trunks marked with our names. It was leave stored at our own risk, but I got my stuff back in the fall. My ds's school has similar storage available.

My son's school was across the country. His dorm was within a mile of a big box retail. He walked or took the bus to various stores to get what he needed. Everything except a few clothing items were purchased inexpensively locally.

Hoggirl: Gwen's list and the additional tips in the thread Regentrude linked are great. Here is another checklist: My Future: Checklist Off to College. And here's the Bed, Bath & Beyond college checklist.

Teachin' Mine: here's a short article from About.com (Moving Your Things to Your New College Home article from About.com) with 5 tips for long distance moves -- I esp. liked #5 -- order supplies from Staples, Target, Amazon, whoever, and specify a shipping date and have them ship to the college directly. :) I understand that Bed, Bath & Beyond offers you a similar service -- make a list, purchase online, and they have it all waiting at the closest BB&B location to the college for pick-up.

Gee, that sounds like I'm plugging BB&BĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ Not at all -- in fact, I'm printing their list and taking it to the Dollar Store, and we'll fill a box or twoĂ¢â‚¬Â¦. That way if stuff disappears, I'm not upset. ;)

PS -- For the big items: some college campuses also offer a fridge and microwave rental plan so you don't have to worry about purchasing and transporting one to the dorm room. If the college has a storage rental policy for large items, you could use the look into Craig's List near the college location next month when all the students are dumping their dorm furniture, and snag some cheap items that way to put in storageĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ Or, if your student is rooming with someone whose family lives a lot closer to campus, maybe work out an advance arrangement that they get the big items, and you just contribute some cash towards the purchase...

Dd is on the other side of the country, and her school has no options for on-campus summer storage. She has always found a bunch of friends to go in together on a single off campus storage unit for the summer months. Splitting the cost makes it fairly inexpensive, and somebody's always offered a car to get their things there & back.

Ds's school, on the other hand, let the kids store a reasonable amount of stuff in his dorm basement. He lived in the same dorm all four years, so it worked well except for one summer when the dorm was closed for renovations. That year he also split the cost of off-campus storage with a group of friends.

My son's college (a residential school so almost everyone is on campus) organizes use of those pod units for summer storage.  I have a minimalist kid so I thought the cost was reasonable, something like $10 per box or Rubbermaid bin, $15 for his bicycle.  Some students had furniture in the storage units.

Last summer's storage was free and convenient.  A parent of a suitemate works at the college.  Out of state students placed their boxes in this family's garage.  The family allowed them to use their big van for loading and unloading.  Talk about nice people!

Ooh, thanks for asking this. I thought I had saved a list, but then couldn't find it.

We will be driving her over (12 hours) the first time and then back at the end of the summer, with her flying all the times in between, but whatever she is taking still has to fit in the back with five passengers and luggage. We picked out bedding on BB&B and will have it to pick up at the store (apparently BB&B and Target are nearby.) Probably should do the same for a lounge/folding chair of some sort, and then just pack the rest. What else would be bulky enough to ship/pick up there? Maybe towels.

I would have forgotten about hangers. :D

After her freshman year, she got an on-campus apartment for this year.  Since she was moving to an on-campus apartment, she could have stored her things at the school for a fee, but she was able to store her boxes in a friend's garage for free and free is better.  This summer, she can just leave eveerything in the apartment.  I know folks who have rented a storage locker for the summer to hold bikes and larger stuff.

As far as shipping, UPS is the cheapest here, but really, unless it fits into a USPS Priority Mail box, I don't send anything to her.  It's all just too expensive.  When she finally finishes college, DD20 will probably have to get a car and drive to where ever she is heading to next, since she will have four years of accumulation to deal with.

Ooh, thanks for asking this. I thought I had saved a list, but then couldn't find it.

We will be driving her over (12 hours) the first time and then back at the end of the summer, with her flying all the times in between, but whatever she is taking still has to fit in the back with five passengers and luggage. We picked out bedding on BB&B and will have it to pick up at the store (apparently BB&B and Target are nearby.) Probably should do the same for a lounge/folding chair of some sort, and then just pack the rest. What else would be bulky enough to ship/pick up there? Maybe towels.

I would have forgotten about hangers. :D

Other than her clothes and personal effects, I'd hold off on buying and lugging across country (extra weight = extra gas for driving). I'd print the check lists and decide what you need/don't need, and then hit Dollar Store, Target / Walmart, and BB&B that are near the college when you get there.

You might also want to get on the college's website and see if they have a list of "do" and "don't" items for the dorm room. Also, the list will let you know if the college provides anything in the dorm room beyond a bed & mattress and desk. Lots of details we take for granted in our own homes are NOT included. ;)

Things to consider buying there, rather than trying to pack in the car:

- cleaning supplies / supply caddy or bin / toilet bowl brush

- toilet paper / tissues / paper towels

- cosmetics / soaps / shampoos / etc.

- caddy or basket to carry shower items to/from her room

- bathrobe / shower shoes / towels / washcloths

- pain reliever / cold & flu supplies / box of band-aids & antiseptic / caddy or container to hold them

- plastic cups / napkins / disposable flatware and paper plates (for the occasional in-dorm eating)

- box of ziplocks / foil / plastic wrap

- 1-2 pyrex measuring cups (can measure & microwave)

- a paring knife or cutting knife / spoon or scraping spatula

- x-long twin (mattress size in most dorms): sheets / comforter / blankets / mattress pad / mattress topper

- pillow / throw

- hanging closet organizer / hanging shoe organizer / hanging shelving

- collapsible mesh laundry bag -- stands upright as a hamper, then carry it by the straps to do laundry

- roll of quarters / laundry soap / stain remover / dryer sheets

- iron (with auto shut-off) / travel ironing mat

I think everyone has covered the usual stuff. I'll stick to some of the little things that made a huge difference.

Single thing: very thick foam mattress topper for bed. I don't remember if we went with a 3 inch or 6 inch.

We also got dorm dd a bookshelf that could go on top of her dresser. I'm not sure how she would have managed without it. Her tv is on top of the shelves. 

Vinyl wall clings for a decorative touch. Easy on-easy off. (Didn't make a big difference. But pretty is nice.) 

My dorm room had some of the worst lighting imaginable. I swear they thought we should study by flashlight! So, definitely evaluate it because she may need a desk lamp and even a floor lamp.  Closet organizers and under bed storage if she is getting the bottom bunk. I kept a Rubbermaid under my bed and since this was not an option for my roommate, let her keep one under mine as well. It really helped...usually we kept towels and extra bathroom supplies in them. We only had ONE shelf in our closet. It was rather pathetic as storage goes.

The most helpful item was the PC tool kit. Second is Amazons college student 2 day shipping.

Ds did need an emergency laptop repair which he was able to do as we had him open it, then send us pics. He borrowed his roommates skype setup for the part he wanted to be walked thru. Two of his classes had significant online components, so being able to rapidly get parts and do the repair himself meant about a week less time depending on the school library computers and no dumpster diving looking for shipping materials.

Also review the status of rechargeable batteries. If they are at end of life, replace before the semester starts.

If your student is going off to uni with a bike, send along a small bike tool kit too.

I think everyone has covered the usual stuff. I'll stick to some of the little things that made a huge difference.

Single thing: very thick foam mattress topper for bed. I don't remember if we went with a 3 inch or 6 inch.

We also got dorm dd a bookshelf that could go on top of her dresser. I'm not sure how she would have managed without it. Her tv is on top of the shelves.

Vinyl wall clings for a decorative touch. Easy on-easy off. (Didn't make a big difference. But pretty is nice.)

Do the sheets still fit with the mattress topper? This *must* be a dumb question as most have suggested purchasing this!

Thanks to everyone with the suggestions!! Trying to decide how much to buy once we arrive. Seems like the time is going to be so limited. Do you unload the car and then run to Wal-mart/BBB? I am worried about the time constraints of getting everything done (lofting the bed, etc.) before the parents get kicked out!

Do the sheets still fit with the mattress topper? This *must* be a dumb question as most have suggested purchasing this!

Thanks to everyone with the suggestions!! Trying to decide how much to buy once we arrive. Seems like the time is going to be so limited. Do you unload the car and then run to Wal-mart/BBB? I am worried about the time constraints of getting everything done (lofting the bed, etc.) before the parents get kicked out!

Yes the sheets will fit with the mattress topper.  These days sheets seem to be very deep.

We've done the dorm move-in 3 times now (dd did study abroad junior year so we were exempt that year, woo hoo!).  We ALWAYS make more runs to Wal-Mart (no BBB in her tiny college town) than I care to remember.  Invariably we need more extension cords or wall hooks.

And her freshman year, it did take a long time to move her in, she was on the 3rd floor with no elevator, and we had to park about half a mile away from the door.  So just emptying the car took several hours.  Second year we had her totally moved in within a few hours, because we could park closer to the entrance to the building (plus I'm sure we were way more efficient) :)

And her freshman year, it did take a long time to move her in, she was on the 3rd floor with no elevator, and we had to park about half a mile away from the door.  So just emptying the car took several hours.  Second year we had her totally moved in within a few hours, because we could park closer to the entrance to the building (plus I'm sure we were way more efficient) :)

That first year my son lived in an all freshman dorm.  His school had a lane for unloading in front of the building with able bodied upper class students standing by to help unload.  For minimalist kid, it was done in a jiffy.

Note to parents:  let your kids unpack.  My son was appalled that some parents were organizing their kids' dorm rooms.

Cynthia, the extra long sheet sets worked fine with the mattress topper. In your case, if you're planning to purchase dorm room stuff in CA, then you'll probably want to get there a day or two early to do so. Move-in day won't really allow much time! They get their room keys & meet their roommate first thing in the morning, and by mid-afternoon everyone goes to convocation, followed by a quick dorm event where you meet the res life staff & then say your good-byes and head off to the parents dinner with the provost. In between, we did fit in a quick trip across the street to CVS and the grocery store, but WM, BBB, and other big stores are a lot further away. We were able to help her unpack, loft the bed, pick up her bike from the campus shop (long line!), and get her a fridge & micro from a campus vendor after determining what the roommate brought. But that took up all our available time!

Oh, and you won't need a bike tool kit there. The campus bike shop loans the basic tools to the kids & has free air pumps (whether you bought from them or not). On nice days, they just wheel the tool cart outside & it's available to whoever needs it. Hubby's spent many an afternoon there while visiting dd :)

Has anyone mentioned about the use of 3M Command-type hooks and mounting tabs? Are these generally allowed?

That's what dd uses all the time & they're terrific for getting some more storage space. She sticks several of the hooks on the wall or the side of the wardrobe to hang up her purses, scarves, whatever (I'm sure boys have stuff, too...:))

Just remind them to follow directions for removal at the end of the year. DD pulled one off too fast her first year & took some of the drywall with it...resulting in a charge from the university for patching that wall... :tongue_smilie:

Cynthia, the extra long sheet sets worked fine with the mattress topper. In your case, if you're planning to purchase dorm room stuff in CA, then you'll probably want to get there a day or two early to do so. Move-in day won't really allow much time! They get their room keys & meet their roommate first thing in the morning, and by mid-afternoon everyone goes to convocation, followed by a quick dorm event where you meet the res life staff & then say your good-byes and head off to the parents dinner with the provost. In between, we did fit in a quick trip across the street to CVS and the grocery store, but WM, BBB, and other big stores are a lot further away. We were able to help her unpack, loft the bed, pick up her bike from the campus shop (long line!), and get her a fridge & micro from a campus vendor after determining what the roommate brought. But that took up all our available time!

Oh, and you won't need a bike tool kit there. The campus bike shop loans the basic tools to the kids & has free air pumps (whether you bought from them or not). On nice days, they just wheel the tool cart outside & it's available to whoever needs it. Hubby's spent many an afternoon there while visiting dd :)

Very helpful to know! THANK YOU! I think we are just going to go on the assumption that everything will HAVE to fit in the car. Good to know that there is a place on campus to get a fridge and microwave. Seems like a mattress topper would take up an awful lot of space!! Eek! It's his wanting to try to take the keyboard that is going to hog a lot of room!

Since we are doing a family vacation (w/grandma) on the way to dropping my guy off, most of his stuff is getting shipped there.  We're only taking clothes to last him a week, swimsuits, towels, sheets, and stuff that's tough to ship - like his archery equipment (which will be stored off campus along with other archery kids stuff), his scuba gear, and a desk lamp.

This definitely differs from my other two, but we don't want to take the time off to buy there.  We'd rather be on the beach during our free time.

I remain hopeful that his roommate will bring the fridge!

Things my current college guys have liked having include a doorstop to prop their door open when they feel like being social and a mat to put their shoes on that would collect the rain and/or dirt.

I also make sure they have a credit card that I can pay online (I know their passwords.).

Just make sure to get the twin extra long sheets. The dorm mattresses are really thin, so the topper on top makes it about a regular mattress height.

Traveling the distance you are, you may just want to have a Bed Bath and Beyond located near the school and purchase stuff after you get there. We unloaded, then made trips. We ended up with a few trips to Lowe's! It only took us one trip to Walmart. Had to purchase cables for tv, more extension cords (only allow the type that are...argggg! need a word!...autoshut off if surged). THen, the room mostly had two prong outlets? Seems you have to purchase converters for those. So, pack what you can in the vehicle, then make trips.

That's what dd uses all the time & they're terrific for getting some more storage space. She sticks several of the hooks on the wall or the side of the wardrobe to hang up her purses, scarves, whatever (I'm sure boys have stuff, too...:))

Just remind them to follow directions for removal at the end of the year. DD pulled one off too fast her first year & took some of the drywall with it...resulting in a charge from the university for patching that wall... :tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking ds will be more likely to "hang" stuff up (rather than throw everything on his bed or floor - roll eyes) if he can use a hook rather than that complicated hanger-in-the-closet contraption. :D At least for things like bath towels, belts, and jackets.

Well, does having roommates lined up count?   I have to wonder if all males are procrastinators in this area????   Ds found 3 roommates YESTERDAY and room sign up is tomorrow!!   Lots and lots of guys are scurrying to line up roommates so they don't end up random assignment (though if I hadn't planted a firecracker under ds, that is exactly what he was planning on!!)

I am glad he made the effort, b/c it seems like a nice group of guys.   One is from CA, one from VA, and one from IL.  They are all STEM majors, non-smoking, non-drinking (or so they say, anyway!) wanting roommates that want to have fun but plan on serious academics, too.  :)

Very helpful to know! THANK YOU! I think we are just going to go on the assumption that everything will HAVE to fit in the car. Good to know that there is a place on campus to get a fridge and microwave. Seems like a mattress topper would take up an awful lot of space!! Eek! It's his wanting to try to take the keyboard that is going to hog a lot of room!

I am trying desperately to think of how he is going to fit his keyboard into his dorm room...... I believe I would agree to take it, but be planning on taking it home with me when it won't fit. 

I'm thinking ds will be more likely to "hang" stuff up (rather than throw everything on his bed or floor - roll eyes) if he can use a hook rather than that complicated hanger-in-the-closet contraption. :D At least for things like bath towels, belts, and jackets.

Um, truthfully?  The best bet for most guys is to buy them a hula hoop they can put on the floor with a directional sign to "Toss Worn Clothes and Need to Be Laundered Items Here" if you want any sort of organized deal.  Hubby says you don't need the sign - maybe just a pointing arrow as a reminder.

Even my normally super neat middle son admitted he needed to spend time cleaning his room before we visited him a couple of weeks ago.

This is an honest question - not snarky.  Is there a reason for not suggesting the student pack a suitcase of suitable clothes and then letting them sort out anything else they need for themselves?  I'm just remembering getting off the train at university with one suitcase and a bicycle.  

L

Well, does having roommates lined up count?   I have to wonder if all males are procrastinators in this area????   Ds found 3 roommates YESTERDAY and room sign up is tomorrow!!   Lots and lots of guys are scurrying to line up roommates so they don't end up random assignment (though if I hadn't planted a firecracker under ds, that is exactly what he was planning on!!)

I am glad he made the effort, b/c it seems like a nice group of guys.   One is from CA, one from VA, and one from IL.  They are all STEM majors, non-smoking, non-drinking (or so they say, anyway!) wanting roommates that want to have fun but plan on serious academics, too.  :)

I'm hoping we're not missing an important step and this is for your son currently in college, or is this for your hs senior?  

This is an honest question - not snarky.  Is there a reason for not suggesting the student pack a suitcase of suitable clothes and then letting them sort out anything else they need for themselves?  I'm just remembering getting off the train at university with one suitcase and a bicycle.  

L

For us, it's more costly that way.  I have guys who are willing to pay $20 for a $10 item simply because it's there and they need it now.  I prefer to buy that $10 item when it's on sale for $5 by thinking ahead.

By buying things and having them shipped to my youngest, it's still cheaper than if he got there and had to figure out how to get all of his newly found wants and needs himself.  At this point he hasn't been to college, so isn't likely to know (for sure) what he wants.  I can go from experience knowing him and what several others (including my older two) have shared.

Also important is that he won't need to deal with getting those things - making it easier to concentrate on what he is doing AT college.

For us, it's more costly that way.  I have guys who are willing to pay $20 for a $10 item simply because it's there and they need it now.  I prefer to buy that $10 item when it's on sale for $5 by thinking ahead.

By buying things and having them shipped to my youngest, it's still cheaper than if he got there and had to figure out how to get all of his newly found wants and needs himself.  At this point he hasn't been to college, so isn't likely to know (for sure) what he wants.  I can go from experience knowing him and what several others (including my older two) have shared.

Also important is that he won't need to deal with getting those things - making it easier to concentrate on what he is doing AT college.

I can see that.  I also know that I would be likely to get all kinds of things that Calvin wouldn't miss if they didn't exist.  So I don't know that we would save money in the end....  I would be buying things out of a generalised anxiety, whilst he would just get the things he actually needed.

L

I'm hoping we're not missing an important step and this is for your son currently in college, or is this for your hs senior?  

Some schools allow students to pick their own roommates out before they arrive.  Most do it by meeting each other via the school's incoming student Facebook page.  Middle son chose this method (though it didn't work out considering his future roomie died a month before school began  :sad: ).

My youngest has not seen anyone he'd like to room with, so is just going to see who he gets.  He did fill out the housing likes/dislikes form to try to get a "better" pairing.

I can see that.  I also know that I would be likely to get all kinds of things that Calvin wouldn't miss if they didn't exist.  So I don't know that we would save money in the end....  I would be buying things out of a generalised anxiety, whilst he would just get the things he actually needed.

L

We're minimalists anyway, so no fear of that here.  ;)  I can definitely see where it is an issue for others.  Kids here at school often talk about things they or their parents buy for college and I'm left wondering why...

I also think girls tend to need/want more than guys.

My guy would think he needs one pair of underwear (forgetting he needs to wear a pair while washing the other), one swimsuit (when he's going to a school that has plenty of labs in the water), one towel - to do anything towels are needed for from bathing to drying dishes or cleaning mud off the floor... one notebook - scattering class notes inside for all classes - probably sequentially rather than by subject, and many similar things.

He will use multiples if I get him these things, but not think of getting them himself.

My guy would think he needs one pair of underwear (forgetting he needs to wear a pair while washing the other), one swimsuit (when he's going to a school that has plenty of labs in the water), one towel - to do anything towels are needed for from bathing to drying dishes or cleaning mud off the floor... one notebook - scattering class notes inside for all classes - probably sequentially rather than by subject, and many similar things.

Calvin's list is likely to be:

Five shirts with collars

Four decorative waistcoats (vests)

Four pairs of dark coloured trousers/jeans

One pair of black leather trainers (running shoes)

One pair of black dress shoes

Two sweaters

One leather jacket

One blazer

Five pairs of underwear

Five pairs of socks

Towels

Bedding if needed

A few favourite books

Evening dress

Mac

Winter coat

Bass guitar

Amp

Laptop

Pen

This is for our sr.   There are facebook pages and the university has a page for selecting roommates.      Our sr doesn't know anyone attending this school, so he was originally saying he would be fine with random assignment.   My concern was that he is not into sports or partying and completely random could definitely have landed him in a room where he would have left uncomfortable.    Their rooms are private, but they do share a living space.

L

This is our ds.   He probably wont take much with him when he goes.   The main thing he wanted was a tripodal white board b/c he likes to stand in front of one when working out some of his more complex problems.     He found one at Goodwill for something like $5.   

This is our ds.   He probably wont take much with him when he goes.   The main thing he wanted was a tripodal white board b/c he likes to stand in front of one when working out some of his more complex problems.     He found one at Goodwill for something like $5.   

Middle son loves his white board and we regularly buy him new markers (good ones).  Oldest never wanted one.  We'll take a wait and see approach with that and youngest.

I can see that. I also know that I would be likely to get all kinds of things that Calvin wouldn't miss if they didn't exist. So I don't know that we would save money in the end.... I would be buying things out of a generalised anxiety, whilst he would just get the things he actually needed.

L

I'm guessing ds would pack as though he were going backpacking for a week, minus the freeze-dried meals. :D Though I'm sure he would remember his Tux, bass, and stool. His school is only an hour away, so I'm mainly concerned that he will show up at home every couple of days to pick up some other doodad that he needs. I'm hoping the minimalist plan works for him. Dh is more likely to suggest he bring everything a person could possibly need, so we may have to talk through that a little.

L

Bear in mind that many American cities lack public transport--and the sprawl may not be bike friendly.  Buying bed linens could be a challenge for students without a car. 

Most American dorms lack waste baskets and desk lamps.  I think that students today can leave for college with a smaller footprint of stuff since they are not bringing the old fashioned stereos.  Few have televisions since they watch movies on their computers. 

What astounded me when we dropped off our son at the start of his first year was the bags of shoes we saw the girls carrying inside. Twelve or twenty pairs??

Bear in mind that many American cities lack public transport--and the sprawl may not be bike friendly.  Buying bed linens could be a challenge for students without a car. 

Most American dorms lack waste baskets and desk lamps.  I think that students today can leave for college with a smaller footprint of stuff since they are not bringing the old fashioned stereos.  Few have televisions since they watch movies on their computers. 

What astounded me when we dropped off our son at the start of his first year was the bags of shoes we saw the girls carrying inside. Twelve or twenty pairs??

Most of the dorm rooms here, the kids want/have a tv in addition to their computer screen. 

But, what got me was the shoe comment. We were just at dd's school this past weekend for an athletic banquet. She had some of her stuff together for us to take back with us. Mostly.....shoes. Lots and lots of shoes. Hiking boots, horse riding boots, knee height leather dress boots, tennis shoes (the spare pair), rain boots, various sandals... It was kind of funny.

We're minimalists anyway, so no fear of that here.   ;)  I can definitely see where it is an issue for others.  Kids here at school often talk about things they or their parents buy for college and I'm left wondering why...

I also think girls tend to need/want more than guys.

He will use multiples if I get him these things, but not think of getting them himself.

Kids get busy and don't have much time to do laundry (usually saving it for lull time between exams) so stock up on socks and underwear.

My SIL said when they were moving my niece into her dorm last August that it was incredibly easy to tell whether a pile of stuff belonged to a boy or a girl.  The boy piles were mostly electronics, and the girl piles were mostly clothes, shoes and room decor. 

We'll probably go minimalist with DS.  He'll only be 75 minutes from home, and he'll have a car.  So it'll be easy for us to take any needed item to him, or for him to come get it.  Plus with a car, running out to any of the big box stores won't be a problem for him.

FWIW, my niece says a toilet plunger should be a "must have" dorm item.  Apparently they had a minor clog a few weeks ago and nary a plunger was to be found anywhere in their huge dorm building.  So they had to wait for maintenance to come and do what amounted to a ten second chore.

Well, my guess is that in this age of facebook, texting, cell phones, and email no one will make the grave tactical error my mother made of buying nice stationary, pre-addressing and stamping envelopes, and then waiting by the mailbox for written word from said daughter. Alas, she was profoundly disappointed, LOL.

Sohere is some archaic advice, don't send stationary and stamps!

But, do send those sticky back repositional hooks made by 3M. We have used them in our Sunday School room on freshly painted walls, and if you are careful, you really can take them down without damaging the paint. That makes it really nice for the student tohang a couple of pictures, or have a hook for keys and whatnot.

Lack of stores in town, lack of transportation, and often times the university shop is much more expensive than needs be. There's a WalMart a couple miles from my son, but we hate that store.

My uni was outside of town, freshmen were not allowed to have cars, the roads were not conducive to biking safely, and there was no public transportation. It was not easy to get anything on short notice without paying an absolute highway robbery rate at the college store. I was very glad for all of the things mom thought to send with me.

We were quite surprised to find that no checked baggage was accepted at our train station. Ds was limited to 2 carryons, which were not sufficient to include the clothes and boots that are needed for a snowy, sleety winter, much less his books, snowboard etc.

At the school station, the taxi cost is quite high.   Train plus taxi = my gas and lunch cost to drive him there and back.

I'm thinking back and I believe my expectations for comfort and amenity were very low.  I did not have any means of listening to music, let alone a television.  I really just went with clothes and bedding in one suitcase plus a bike for transportation.  The nearest department store was a long bus ride away - I don't think I went there until my last year at university.  I think I just went with very little and expected very little.

Conditions were really very Spartan for students in the UK in the 1980s.  I had friends who rented houses that had outside toilets - a shed in the back garden (very cheap rents because the houses were 'condemned') and I remember distinctly the one takeaway I bought and the one time I went out for dinner (pizza) in my three years at university.

L