Menu

Short good books for 9-12 yo range

I'm defining short as somewhere around 100 pages or less.  This is for my competent but reluctant readers (reading is sooooo booooorrrrrriiiiinnnnnng).

I found Sarah Plain and Tall at the thrift store today :)  and it occurred to me that there might be other short but reasonably well-written books floating around out there.  I'm open to all genres.

So, any ideas?  Thank you :)

I also have a verrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy reluctant 11yr old reader. I have found that if we start the book (a chapter or two) as a read aloud and then I give her a daily amount of pages she has to read that she does a much better job of reading. I also read the same book so we can talk about it in a fun manner rather than using a study guide. Telling her to read for 30 minutes a day was not working. She would just spend the time spacing off.

She has thrown a fit every time we have started a new book but with one exception has enjoyed everything we have read. She is currently reading Maze Runner. Not a classic but I really like this book. It was fast paced and easy to read.

Catwings

Clementine

Tornado (Byars)

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain

The Courage of Sarah Noble

The Invisible Dog

Ben and Me

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

Akimbo and the Lions

Freckle Juice

One Day in the Tropical Rainforest 

The Chocolate Touch

Frindle

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me

The Littles

Some of these are great, but I can't imagine a 12 yo getting drawn into them (9 yo, yes).

What's the goal?  If it's to read great writing but that is shorter, then I second some of these, but I would also say look at short stories.  If it's to strew some stuff that seems short enough to tackle, again, I second many of them, but I would also go with graphic novels like Amulet and Bone and shorter series books like Matt Christopher, Goosebumps, Animorphs, etc.

If you're looking for something on the history side I'd recommend "Twenty and Ten," a true story about how twenty school children hide ten Jewish children from the Nazis occupying France during World War II.  I think it fits your book-length category.  :)

Some of these are great, but I can't imagine a 12 yo getting drawn into them (9 yo, yes).

What's the goal?  If it's to read great writing but that is shorter, then I second some of these, but I would also say look at short stories.  If it's to strew some stuff that seems short enough to tackle, again, I second many of them, but I would also go with graphic novels like Amulet and Bone and shorter series books like Matt Christopher, Goosebumps, Animorphs, etc.

I'd like to hear some short book or short story 'get drawn into' suggestions for a 12 yo then -- that aren't graphic novels.   I have no problem with graphic novels but DD the older can't seem to transition from them to book reading.  

I find sometimes if I begin it as a read aloud and draw them in, I can leave it for the kids to finish. Also, I bait them with "you can watch the movie if you read the book first." DS 9, who would not pick up a narrative, just finished the entire Harry Potter series because of the movie thing - and he still hasn't watched them because he was more interested in the books.

I'd like to hear some short book or short story 'get drawn into' suggestions for a 12 yo then -- that aren't graphic novels. I have no problem with graphic novels but DD the older can't seem to transition from them to book reading.

I think it depends a lot on the kid, though the ones I mentioned like Goosebumps and so forth are fine options (not literature, that's for sure). A lot of series now in the post-Harry Potter world are unfortunately long, which is not really serving older reluctant readers very well, IMO. I mean, I'm glad that there are long series, but I get that even something like Percy Jackson can seem intimidatingly long to some kids. In other words, look at older series books. But also, figure out what he wants to read about - what genre will appeal the most, might he want nonfiction instead of fiction? Those sort of questions.

What about illustrated books?  We do chapter book read alouds, as well as independent reading, but all of us really enjoy books with pictures.  My daughter is very artistic so I usually get several beautifully illustrated fairy tales for her to peruse.  For my son I check out books on technology or science.  There are also some wonderful illustrated history books and biographies.  Interestingly enough I've noticed that many picture books are written as read alouds; in other words, adult, and sometimes sophisticated, language.  The more complex language, combined with the visual element, might make reading more interesting.  

I'd like to hear some short book or short story 'get drawn into' suggestions for a 12 yo then -- that aren't graphic novels.   I have no problem with graphic novels but DD the older can't seem to transition from them to book reading.  

I always thought On My Honor was a quick, short read that would interest older kids. It is not for a sensitive kid though as it is about a child drowning. 

I think it depends a lot on the kid, though the ones I mentioned like Goosebumps and so forth are fine options (not literature, that's for sure). A lot of series now in the post-Harry Potter world are unfortunately long, which is not really serving older reluctant readers very well, IMO. I mean, I'm glad that there are long series, but I get that even something like Percy Jackson can seem intimidatingly long to some kids. In other words, look at older series books. But also, figure out what he wants to read about - what genre will appeal the most, might he want nonfiction instead of fiction? Those sort of questions.

This is the problem I'm running into.  Books like 39 Clues (200+ pages) and  Percy Jackson (400+ pages)  look really interesting, and I bet she'd enjoy them, but the sheer size of them is so intimidating that she'd be reluctant to even begin. 

She really likes Harry Potter and actually wants to read the books, but feels overwhelmed at how long they are.

My goal at this point is to build her stamina and (hopefully) enjoyment of reading. 

I also have a verrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy reluctant 11yr old reader. I have found that if we start the book (a chapter or two) as a read aloud and then I give her a daily amount of pages she has to read that she does a much better job of reading. I also read the same book so we can talk about it in a fun manner rather than using a study guide. Telling her to read for 30 minutes a day was not working. She would just spend the time spacing off.

She has thrown a fit every time we have started a new book but with one exception has enjoyed everything we have read. She is currently reading Maze Runner. Not a classic but I really like this book. It was fast paced and easy to read.

This is a great idea!  Thank you!

This week's brilliant idea: poetry!  I checked out an anthology of 20th century children's poetry from the library and I'm going to have DD read a few poems today.  They're short and the language is interesting and beautiful.  Win-win.

Also, this week she found a cookbook app on our tablet and has been reading it late into the night.  It has Interesting vocabulary (some of the exotic ingredients), nice photographs, and each recipe is a  short, manageable chunk of text.

I'm feeling optimistic. :)

I didn't remember 39 Clues books being so long.  I thought Percy Jackson was much shorter as well. I agree 100% with the Spiderwick suggestions.

What about Large Print books ?  Dense -looking text can be intimidating for some kids.

On poetry: Where the Sidewalk Ends was a favorite of all my children.

And not poetry: Calvin & Hobbes has pushed many a child into the voracious reader category.  :)

*The Girl Who Navigated Fairyland Might be another title of interest.

*Freckle Juice by Judy Bloom (a quick read in my memory)

*The Twits by Dahl is another short book...in my memories.

The Lightning Thief - 87133 words

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Store - 76944 words

The Girl Who Circumnavigated...  - 69021 words

The Maze of Bones (39 clues #1) - 45894 words

The Visitor (Animorphs #2) - 32079 words

On My Honor - 16558 words

The Field Guide (Spiderwick #1) 9744 words (note: each book doesn't really stand alone IMO  - they are one book printed as more than one book)

The Twits 8107 words

The Lightning Thief - 87133 words

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Store - 76944 words

The Girl Who Circumnavigated...  - 69021 words

The Maze of Bones (39 clues #1) - 45894 words

The Visitor (Animorphs #2) - 32079 words

On My Honor - 16558 words

The Field Guide (Spiderwick #1) 9744 words (note: each book doesn't really stand alone IMO  - they are one book printed as more than one book)

The Twits 8107 words

Nice.  :)

Of these, only the shortest three or four really fit the OP's request, IMO.  And I have to say that I'm puzzled by seeing The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland suggested here at all.  The vocab level isn't one I would push on a reluctant reader usually.  Gosh, the Animorphs is even longer than I realized and the 39 Clues as well, though I think those are still good for many reluctant middle school age readers.

In addition to the length, I think there's an interest level factor.  Freckle Juice is even shorter than all these, but I can't imagine giving it to a middle schooler to hook them on reading because it's a younger kid book.  Some books, like all these Roald Dahl titles, are more flexible.  And there are some great pieces of short literature that also could be good like Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes or Ten and Twenty, which people have suggested, but again...  they're great, but are they high-interest, fluency improving things?  Meh.

How about Deltora Quest?  Those are all about 150 pages, not sure about the word count...  They're maybe slightly shorter than the Animorphs.  There are series out there...  At some point, kids have to make the leap and read things that are a little longer.  It's tough when they're at that stage, but too old for Magic Treehouse, A to Z Mysteries, Droon, etc. level books.

The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1) 26803 words

Stuff like Goosebumps wouldn't go over here and and I'm not sure Animorphs would either although I put the first one on hold at the library.   It seems like these series have more 'boyish' appeal.    But that Deltora Quest looks a little more promising and I notice it was written by Emily Rodda, who also wrote the Fairy Realm series - which might be more the ticket although it's been a while since I looked at it and I can't remember how young the story seems or how old the protagonist is.

The Charm Bracelet (Fairy Realm #1)  16237 words.  

ETA- realized I didn't include a Goosebumps in the wc list:

The Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps #1) 22782 words

My 12 year old dd recommends Anna All Year Round.

I recommend Dear Mr. Henshaw.

How about Encyclopedia Brown? Both my kids really liked those.

My son recommends Magic Treehouse books (which he calls "Jack and Annies").

He also recently enjoyed Who Could That Be at This Hour (the first in a new series by Lemony Snickett). He's currently listening to The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

Btw, my son is also a reluctant reader (in his case, it's because he's dyslexic). I have found audiobooks to be a lifesaver for him. Maybe your kids would get interested in longer books if they, for instance, listened to the first of a series and then had to read the rest.

My son also prefers to read nonfiction because he can get through it more quickly. Kids Discover magazine is excellent for this.

Odd and the frost giants.

An unlucky twelve-year-old Norwegian boy named Odd leads the Norse gods Loki, Thor, and Odin in an attempt to outwit evil Frost Giants who have taken over Asgard.

I don't know how many words it is, but it gets you 2 acelerated reader points so it is on the short side.

Eta

It is 128 pages. I think I remember a picture of two and the font size was a little larger then normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd_and_the_Frost_Giants

Perhaps look at more world day books. To my knowledge they are all short since they only cost 1 pound? Each.

The authors who are picked write for a large age range so not all of them would work. But basically the whole point of world day books are to get readers hocked on books by almost giving away short books by famous authors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Book_Day_Books

Some other short Newberry's (some recommended above):

Rabbit Hill -- 20087 words

Dear Mr. Henshaw -- 17812 words

The Family Under the Bridge -- 97 pages 17547 words

Sarah, Plain and Tall (for comparison) -- 64 pages 8257 words

The Courage of Sarah Noble -- 54 pages  6667 words

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain -- 4529 words

Various other books:

Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library by Clifford --  96 pages 15806 words

Who Stole the Wizard of Oz? by Avi -- 116 pages 13722 words

Bunnicula by Howe -- 98 pages 13176 words

The Little Riders by Shemin -- 76 pages 13175 words

The Midnight Horse by Fleischman -- 84 pages 10040 words

Basil of Baker Street  by Titus -- 112 pages 9695 words

The Hundred Dresses by Estes -- 78 pages 7142 words

The Invisible Dog by King-Smith -- 92 pages 6231 words

Anna All Year Round -- 19066 words

Odd and the Frost Giants by Gaiman -- 14306 words

I've been on a similar quest lately with my guy who's a competent reader at the 3rd-5th grade level or so but won't immerse himself in fiction. We've had a couple of slam dunks this week: Boxcar Children and Time Warp Trio. I don't know about well-written, but they're not terrible (Scieszka isn't a slouch even if he's quite free with the booger jokes) and they've sucked my little guy in. I'm hoping they'll be gateway books. ;)

I like to go through the Juvenile section of the library and seek out the slim, unintimidating volumes. Whipping Boy for sure, maybe Water Horse, there's a Gary Paulsen series about somebody called Tucket that keeps catching my eye but looks a little higher interest level than my youngsters. I grabbed Bunnicula eagerly based on these criteria and it looks like it might work out if my sensitive boy can get past his worry about BUNNIES WITH FANGS. :lol: My Side of the Mountain is looking good.

Sometimes it's not as much about the word count as it is about the binding.

For the younger end of the range, I'd suggest  Gwinna by Barbara Helen Berger

From Publishers Weekly

In Gwinna, Berger (Grandfather Twilight; The Donkey's Dream; When the Sun Rose) has written and illustrated a magnificent fairy tale of wonder, beauty and power. Gwinna, an enchanted child with wings growing from her back, is given as a fosterling to a childless human couple by the Mother of the Owls. As Gwinna grows, her foster parents try to hide her wings, then refuse to honor their promise to return her, but the Mother of the Owl's magic is too strong for them and Gwinna is summoned to her true home. There she learns to fly and sets off on a mystical quest across the sea to an ice-capped mountain, where she fulfills a lifelong dream by carving herself a harp and learning to play it. No brief recap of Gwinna's plot can do justice to all its subtleties or to its profound imagery. Berger tells her long tale in simple, direct prose that illuminates its allegorical aspects with impressive clarity while keeping the action and adventure flowing smooth ly. This accomplishment is especially remarkable as Gwinna is Berger's longest text by far; in her earlier, shorter work, she has relied on her shimmer ing acrylic paintings to create the ethereal mood that is her trademark. Happily, Berger has not stinted on the pictures here either. Gwinna is graced with 18 full-page paintings, one two-page painting and many smaller insets and decorations that capture the action's high points. In the realm of children's fantasies, Gwinna compares with George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin and C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia. With the publication of this story, Berger takes her place with the best talents in the field, past and present. Ages 6-up.
Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Regards,

Kareni

I was thinking of your post as I was listening to the lecture Building the Perfect Reading List.  IMHO It's worth a listen just to hear Adams Andrews read The Biggest Bear.

Oh, and I'd like to add The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Selznick to the list.  The book looks massive but it's full of illustrations and reads like a movie (actually my husband told me they did make the book into a movie) and my 9-year old reluctant reader really enjoyed it.

Bunnicula is quite fun. The books after it in the series are longer, but the first is about 120 pages of large type.

The Secrets of Droon series is basically a very watered down Harry Potter. Every book in the series (easily almost thirty books) is under or just about 100 pages.

The American Girl books are somewhere between 80-100 pages each.

There is the entire Fairy Realm series. As well as Disney's Tales of Pixie Hollow. Those all hover between 75 and 120 pages.

The Mary Kate and Ashley series of the late 90's would be good too. There are four separate series with the two of them ranging in age from about 10 til they are 16. Each series includes at least ten books, with The New Adventures series having over twenty.

The DK Eyewitness books are not novels, but they have a magazine layout and shorter blurbs about the various pictured items inside. They also come in a huge range of interesting topics.

The Saddle Club series all hover a little higher around 130-150 pages, but are great for horse loving girls. There are over 80 in the series.

Mary Pope Osborne's Tales of the Odyssey series are all around 100 pages. They are a pretty good retelling of Homer. Six books total.

Stuart Little

Bridge to Terabithia

The Little Prince

Tuck Everlasting

Winnie the Pooh

Time Machine by H.G. Wells

Anthem by Ayn Rand is only 105 pages. I remember reading it in fifth grade and begin completely spellbound. I'd pre read it first, but it is very good and has the ability for great discussion.

Animal Farm by Orwell is another book that is only 112, but can really open up fantastic discussion about responsibility, citizenship, and education.

Of Mice and Men is 107 pages. Depending on how much you want to discuss, this one could lead into interesting discussions of guilt, responsibility, character, family/friend bonds, the roles we play in society....

Old Man and the Sea is 93 pages. It is another discussion book, but I loved it when I read it at 13. Great one to discuss symbolism, the battles we all choose in our lives and how much effort goes into those battles.

My oldest hated to read. It was a chore. So I let her listen to books. We started listening at bedtime. She was able to stay up one half hour later if she spent the time listening to a book. What kid wouldn't want to stay up later? After a while she realized that books were enjoyable. Now, she can't stop reading. She even sets her alarm for an hour early just so she can read in the morning before she has to get out of bed.

AL

The Secrets of Droon series is basically a very watered down Harry Potter. Every book in the series (easily almost thirty books) is under or just about 100 pages.

The first 8 books are 80 to 90 pages. Then the series builds slowly in size. Some of the specials are 250 pages or a bit more. The series is 44 books long. (Or is it 43 books?) 

I find it is a great series for building up reading since the books build in size, reading level, and complexity. 

My eldest went from the Droon series to the first Percy Jackson book. (I did share read the first two? books in the Percy series and then he realized he could do them himself and he again took off in his reading)

The author of the Droon books, Tony Abbott is a great person to email. He answered my boys emails and after some communication. (They actually found a typo mistake in the series. Those books have great editing. It was the only mistake we could find) Tony sent them an autographed fold out map of Droon. 

Right now Youngest is reading the Droon series outloud, with my help. 

Great news of the morning:  Dover's edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is only 96 pages.  :) It lists the grade level as 6th and up, 11 yo and up, so she's right on the edge reading level wise.  However, I do believe this might be a great book to try team reading wit her.