Menu

Easy Grammar Question...

If you have a kid in 7th grade that has had no formal grammar, really doesn't like anything about grammar/writing....what level of EG would you start with and what Daily grams would you use? 

We were going to do Analytical Grammar and honestly we were all very lost so we need very beginning stuff, I am not good in this area?  I have tried EG before and felt confused but at this point we need to get going with something.  I can't remember what bugged me but I felt like it had you cross stuff out when you weren't yet sure what nouns and verbs were?  That was a while back.  Anyway...is it easy to teach for someone who just doesn't get it?  Me..ha!

Thanks!

If you have a kid in 7th grade that has had no formal grammar, really doesn't like anything about grammar/writing....what level of EG would you start with and what Daily grams would you use? 

We were going to do Analytical Grammar and honestly we were all very lost so we need very beginning stuff, I am not good in this area?  I have tried EG before and felt confused but at this point we need to get going with something.  I can't remember what bugged me but I felt like it had you cross stuff out when you weren't yet sure what nouns and verbs were?  That was a while back.  Anyway...is it easy to teach for someone who just doesn't get it?  Me..ha!

Thanks!

Easy Grammar Plus, no Daily Grams until the following year. I know the author recommends doing them simultaneously, but I disagree with her. ::cheeky grin::

Your dc will need to know what nouns are. That's pretty easy to teach. :-)

In Easy Grammar you learn prepositions first.  You then cross out the prepositional phrases so you can identify the subject and verb.  I can't help you with levels.  We put my son in at grade level, but he completed levels 2-4 of First Language Lessons and a year of Hake.

We have done Easy Grammar for years.  I wanted it for much the reasons you have described - I know very, very little about how to teach grammar well.  At least, I did know practically nothing.  Easy Grammar has been wonderful and taught me so much along with my son.  There are great little videos on easygrammar.com which also help to cover the basics.  They can be a fun aside to the text.

Third through Fifth grade were all pretty much the same.  The level of repetitions went down, but the grammar was basically the same.  You could easily start at 5th grade. The only things you would want to do are a bit of the memorization which is drilled earlier. 

A list of 50 common prepositions,

A list of auxiliary or helping verbs,

A general idea of a noun vs proper noun

An idea of what an adjective, and preposition are.

Other than that, you should be good to jump in around 5th grade.  I am pretty sure the concepts are presented again, just not in great detail since they are practiced heavily in the 3rd and 4th grade books. If money was no object, you could drop the extra 24 dollars and get the third grade book to get everything from the absolute beginning.  You would only have to do about 30 minutes a day of the third grade book and in less than 6 weeks be totally up to speed.  Easy Grammar is designed to do one lesson a day and that lesson covers only about 10 to 15 minutes of total instruction and work.

In all honesty, I needed the third grade book.  By now, I feel totally comfortable skipping around, but to start I wanted rock bottom bare bones, total beginning.  I don't think you need to do the entire 3rd grade book, but it will definitely make you very comfortable.  In all honesty, it covers subjects far better than my husband (an English teacher at high school level) does.  My son can run circles around him with grammar, because of how well he understands the concepts from Easy Grammar.  My husband knows the material, but only memorized it so he doesn't apply it as quickly trying to call it back out of his head.

You do not, in anyway, need Daily Grams if you are doing the Easy Grammar books.  They are just repeating the same thing and have no instruction.  If you can trust your student, then you only need the Teacher's Manuel.  You just have to cover up the answers on the preceding page.  The TM and the student book are identical other than answers included.  If you want tests, the test booklet is a great option.  You get one test for every 10 lessons.  There are no tests in the book.  The test booklet comes with answers.

Oh....thank you all. I have another question. Are the newer books a lot better? Oops...another one? If I were to do 5th then EG plus is that enough basic grammar for someone who probably won't go to college but wants to join the marines? Don't yell at me but truly we are trying to get him through the basics, which hasn't been easy, he is not real school minded but is a hard worker!

Honestly the ASVAB has quite a bit of grammar oriented questions.  I would suggest if that is the direction you are wanting to go you go all the way through the series.  We are stopping the Ultimate Series with my son next year, because he is actively applying the concepts in his Latin and foreign language studies.

I do not know if the concepts would stay fresh enough to go from 8th grade all the way through till 11th.  You could always pick up the 11th grade book and have him do it that year to review.  It would allow a break, but still allow for him to do well on the test.  Your ASVAB placement scores determine how many choices you get on your position.  They also determine quite a bit about how recruiters treat you, even though they are not supposed to.

The high school books are even shorter each day than the elementary books.  It would not be a big deal to do every morning for under 10 minutes.

We have only used the newer books, so I do not know about that one.

I don't know which books are best, or which are not worth the money.  There are quite a few options.  I worked at an alternative high school for at-risk kids.  Everyone took the ASVAB their Junior year because so many were planning on going military. 

I had a lot of kids use this website.  I taught independent study so we were in the computer lab/study hall. 

http://www.test-guide.com/ASVAB-Test/

This was the website we always gave to parents who wanted to know what the test was and such.  There is a list of books at the end of the webpage which are designed for test prep.  Your library might also have a few.  I know our library does.

http://www.baseops.net/militarybooks/asvab/

I have watched the military save many of the boys (and a few of the girls) who have decided that route.  Many knew for years it was something they wanted to do but they felt open pressure about college.  It is completely ridiculous to have everyone go to college.  If he wants to enlist, he should enlist.  Why would I want anyone defending our country who didn't want to?!

My son would be annihilated in the military.  Goodness, it would not be good.  So more power to your son!  And good for you, Mom, for listening to him and standing up for what he wants.  I hope it all works out for you both!