Menu

With all the Ask a <insert particular religious group here...> threads, can I ask a music question?

Stacia

Are there are any groups that do not regularly include music &/or singing as part of the religious (or non-religious) service?

Maybe because I'm tone deaf, or maybe because I can appreciate silence (& think it's highly underrated in today's society), I still don't "get" why music &/or singing are so integral to many/most (?) religious services. In most services or religious events I have attended, I find the music/singing parts extremely awkward (whether just listening or whether expected to participate by singing) & off-putting. Or maybe I'm just a really odd duck myself & it bothers nobody else in the world. :tongue_smilie:

Are there any groups that typically leave out music/singing as a part of worship or service?

For groups that do have music/singing as a part of worship or service, why or what importance does it hold?

Thanks in advance for any explanations.

I think music with a crowd can be a very unifying experience. 

I'm sure it's not that way for everyone. Some people feel very self-conscious about their voices. It's hard on those who sing the lower registers to keep up with Ms. Emotive Soprano leading worship. I notice churches with very inclusive instrument policies (anyone who wants to play can play along instead of singing), tons of small percussion instruments, or some kind of dance or sign language inclusion tend to be more inclusive of everyone. 

However, music can be an extremely unifying and joyful expression. That's why so many churches begin (and end) with it. 

Music is a form of expression, a universal language.

The mind hangs onto words better when set to music.  So, it's more effective to sing theology rather than plain memorizing.  It's a form of teaching.  (How many songs can you sing word for word from your childhood?  vs stories you've heard?)

I have been in some services where the music was awkward and it's typically b/c the music leadership doesn't share a genuine emotion that the music is supposed to express.  It needs to be genuine in order to benefit the service.

What importance the music holds is an ongoing theological debate. Different Christian denominations, even different churches within a denomination have a wide variety of music incorporated into their services, or none at all in some cases.

There are a lot of passages in the Bible about praising and glorifying God with music, dating back to the Old Testament & music in Jewish temples.

Personally, I was raised in a church that took seriously the Biblical exhortations to sing praises to God, make a joyful noise, and all that. The church I attend now is also a very musical one. In a nutshell, it's praise and fellowship all wrapped up in one for me.

In my tradition (EO) it is not unusual for many parishioners to *not* sing along (congregational singing) - especially among cradle EO people.    It was off-putting to me at first, since I had been a member of the worship team in a previous church AND having congregational singing in all my previous  traditions.  It is hard for many Protestants to understand.   But, I've come to realize that silence and quiet prayer/contemplation are just as an important aspect as singing during liturgy.  Some of the most devout and pious people in my parish do not sing at all during services.  (EO are all ACapella as well). 

But, we still have singing/chanting throughout the whole service, so it wouldn't really fit your needs if you want to find a church that has none.

i've also heard that Quakers embrace silence as part of their services.  I think that sounds wonderful.

But, we still have singing/chanting throughout the whole service, so it wouldn't really fit your needs if you want to find a church that has none.

Except that if the entire service is sung (except for the Bible readings, which are often still chanted), as it is in EO, perhaps that would do away with the awkwardness?  Just a thought I had even before I say this reply. 

Are there are any groups that do not regularly include music &/or singing as part of the religious (or non-religious) service?

Maybe because I'm tone deaf, or maybe because I can appreciate silence (& think it's highly underrated in today's society), I still don't "get" why music &/or singing are so integral to many/most (?) religious services. In most services or religious events I have attended, I find the music/singing parts extremely awkward (whether just listening or whether expected to participate by singing) & off-putting. Or maybe I'm just a really odd duck myself & it bothers nobody else in the world. :tongue_smilie:

Are there any groups that typically leave out music/singing as a part of worship or service?

For groups that do have music/singing as a part of worship or service, why or what importance does it hold?

Thanks in advance for any explanations.

I sing in a choir which chants/sings as part of a very traditional N.O. Mass (RC).  The music is an integral part of the liturgy.  Most of the music is a cappella.

Having said that, however, there are Masses do not include singing, except perhaps for the cantor.  Where my family attends this tends to be the weekday early Masses. 

In my experience, most musical awkwardness is due to (a) poor quality music (the less I say on that the better, probably, as I might get myself in trouble) and/or (b) poor musicianship which includes making the music more of a performance rather than a seamless part of the service.

We do include music, but our early service (7:45 am--the first of 3 on Sunday) does not. My son, who is a bit on the sensory-sensitive side, prefers that one.

We also have Taize music, which is meditative and quiet, on Weds nights at our service.

We are definitely a musical parish, though.

Here all the churches went to karaoke about 10-15 years ago. I don't mind a little singing with my preaching, in fact I'd go so far as to say I like it. But having a little preaching with my singing is too much for me. I've gotten used to not going now. It would be hard to go back. We quit looking several years ago.