Menu

Curriculum Anxiety Disorder

I can feel September in the air, and it is making me nervous. That orangey-brown autumn breeze slaps me across the face when I go out my front door.

We have started school already, without a perfectly laid out comprehensive schedule like I always have had in the past.

It's not going well. We hardly ever do school these days, actually. We're becoming unschoolers. I don't blame the lack of schedule. I blame myself. Also, I blame my kids for thinking up such awesome ways to use their time, so that I feel guilty stopping them. But I can not help but notice that at this time during our scheduled-and-planned years we were not weeks behind, but usually a week or two ahead.

I had made a nitpicked, down to the minute schedule, but it was overloaded, I hated it, and I dumped it for this free range stuff. I feel embarrassed to go back and find a middle ground and do the whole process over again, after 1st declaring I would schedule up the wazoo and then declaring I would follow the kids' lead. I think I've reached my flaky limit and I should just stick with this for the sake of sticking with it. Maybe it will get better, who knows?

What would you do, oh Hive Mind? Quick-like-a-bunny make a third plan? Hold out on the winging-it thing for a little longer and see if I can get better at it? Accept the failure and put the kids on the school bus?

Hmmm. I could have written your post. My latest plan ala LCC: Do Math, Latin and LA from 9-12. After that.. the wind can blow us about. Best of both worlds, I am thinking. And we are going to start this....um....er.... in a few more weeks. The weather is just too awesome to be sitting at the table!

I'm almost embarrassed to comment because (cue elevator music) we've only just begin...to school...

but I think that Heather's right: Perhaps schedule the must-dos (a la LCC), and then wing the nonessentials?

For the record, that's what I'm doing. And frankly, so far, we're, um, not doing too many nonessentials.... Hmmm....

dragons -

I think your instincts are good. We often flit from one extreme to the other, then settle in the middle.

First - breathe.

Second - breathe some more.

Third - plan out a schedule that is way less than you think you should do, try it for a month.

Fourth - After the month, see what works and what doesn't. Revise.

Fifth - Repeat steps 1-4.

This may just be a unique year in your journey. try not to fight it!

Not too profound, but trust yourself and trust your kids. You'll be ok.

:grouphug:

I agree with Heather, schedule out the essentials and give them free reign for rest of the day. So far I start off every year very scheduled and then loosen up where it is needed. Look at it like crochet, the stitches are tight and close at first but when it's done and used, the stitches become more relaxed.

I have scheduled us up the wazoo this year, including extra things like handicrafts, music appreciation, art and exercise but none of that will happen unless our Core is accomplished. I only scheduled the other extra stuff to make sure we did it consistently and I can drop something at any time if it proves to be too much. I have 2 hours of free play each day for kids- instead of 4 hours which has resulted in more fights, mess and stress for me.

I am terrified Rose. I know that our schedule/routine (whatever you want to call it) rests on my shoulders for getting it accomplished. Discipline, must have discipline. :D

Would it work for you to structure the essentials and let the kids 'wing' it the rest of the day?

Just a thought.

It's just thoughts that make the forums go round, isn't it?

Right now, the "plan" is to just do the next thing when it comes to the essentials. Hm... maybe if I put them on a loop schedule, or in a set block of time, it will jumpstart my must-do-planned-work engine.

dragons -

I think your instincts are good. We often flit from one extreme to the other, then settle in the middle.

First - breathe.

Second - breathe some more.

h my goodness, Heather, you're right! I forgot to breathe. Trying to take deep breaths, and keep this predicament in mind, all at once, is actually hard.

You give some excellent advice.

For the record, that's what I'm doing. And frankly, so far, we're, um, not doing too many nonessentials.... Hmmm....

I do want to get to the non-essentials, though. In fact, I think that's part of my problem. I'd been using those non-essentials as a carrot to lead me through math and Latin, and now, without a plan, they seem more like a chore I'm dreading.

Look at it like crochet, the stitches are tight and close at first but when it's done and used, the stitches become more relaxed. <snipped lots of juicy bits>

I am terrified Rose. I know that our schedule/routine (whatever you want to call it) rests on my shoulders for getting it accomplished. Discipline, must have discipline.

Wise words, Jessica. I love your analogy, and, if you'll permit me a little schadenfreud, I'm kind of glad you're terrified too. It probably is largely a matter of discipline, discipline. Somewhere around here I have a necklace I made to finger when I need reminding of the simple power of discipline. I need to find that thing and discipline myself to put it on in the morning. :D

I agree with the thought that it's a good goal to get to "the basics" daily. In our house, that would be Readin', Ritin', and 'Rithmetic. I don't stress (as much) about the rest.

OT: Did you ever read my PM at the WP forum? Just curious. I figured out what I was going to do without your answer. ;)

How about "loop" scheduling in an informal kind of way? You could start out with math everyday, then rotate through the rest. Cut the day off at a certain time as opposed to when you finish a certain subject; or if that's too "out there" you could pick three more subjects per day (or whatever) and quit when you're through. Pick up with math first thing and then on with the rotation. At least you would be getting math in daily and all the rest would be gotten to sooner or later. If you try to wing the non-essentials you may very well end up not ever getting to them - btdt.

You do have some other things on your mind right now, true? Buying a large piece of property and considering all that goes into that is probably taking up some of your brain space so give yourself a break and, again, breathe;)

I am right there with you regarding creative, brilliant children (ours) who KNOW how to play and learn and BE. Someone told me last week that I have "Waldorf children." I'm not a waldorf gal but I did take it as a compliment - my kids are FULL of wonder and I want to cultivate that. Sometimes it is hard to interrupt their play.

That being said, however, they are happier, more fulfilled and more satisfied overall with both free time and required "stuff" (jobs) when I provide some learning structure, no matter how small. Today they all did their regular jobs and then I did phonics with the 5 yr, italic with the 8 yr old who also washed a load of dishes, spelling with the 14 yo, who also did laundry and made lunch. In 2 weeks we'll start the hard core schedule (we have early and hard winters here so we are taking in the sun!) and when it's here we'll be ready. Until then we'll stick with the 1-2 subjects per kid (that don't take any brain work on my part) and read-alouds (just re-discovered Hank the Cowdog!- what a hoot!).

I've read lots of the books about/by "successful" unschoolers and my heart is warmed by the lives some of these people are leading. Not to sound too corny but it's not our "path." When I stray too far from what I know I am called to do for my kids (classical) I regret it -kwim? and in the grand scheme of things my kids are "unschoolers" during the hours and hours of free time that they do have - so, they get the best of both worlds :001_smile:

You rock. You are an awesome Mom. You know what your kids need.

Hmmm, i can relate.

I mean, if she's out collecting bugs (climbing on the roof today) for her assigned bug collection, can't that be school?

We have to get back in our groove - i'm studying my schedule the next few days to see what i need to do, and then, well, do it. i think.

I'm going to. Really. I am.

:grouphug:

What I did for years was this: In the mornings, we'd do a couple of hours of the academics I felt were most essential.

Then for the rest of the day, they were free.

I guess that's what the others are saying, too ;-) I thought it worked well. Now our days are different, mainly because the kids tend to choose when they're going to work on things, and they often spread it out through the day, and the littles prefer to be free all day and squeeze in the schoolwork before dinner.

LCC helped me work that out. For a couple of years all we really did was math, Latin, and Classical Writing. Here and there I'd remember to do history, or anything else. We are not behind, and things are fine.

It will be okay :)

I do want to get to the non-essentials, though. In fact, I think that's part of my problem. I'd been using those non-essentials as a carrot to lead me through math and Latin, and now, without a plan, they seem more like a chore I'm dreading.

Ah! I didn't read far enough before.

Hmmm. So now you've lost your plan for the non-essentials, making them seem more like a chore ...

Which non-essentials are those? And what are your kids spending their time on when left to their own devices?

LCC helped me work that out. For a couple of years all we really did was math, Latin, and Classical Writing. Here and there I'd remember to do history, or anything else. We are not behind, and things are fine.

I guess I've realized that this plan -- to just do the essentials in the morning, and wing the rest -- isn't working for us. I think I was setting those extra subjects up in my head as a reason to plod through these in the morning. It was like dessert.

So now what I need to know is: Do I want to suck it up and exercise some discipline, making myself teach these essentials? Or do I want to go ahead, give in to my baser nature :lol::tongue_smilie: and schedule the after-essentials so I'll have a carrot to lead me through the must-do subjects?

I guess I've realized that this plan -- to just do the essentials in the morning, and wing the rest -- isn't working for us. I think I was setting those extra subjects up in my head as a reason to plod through these in the morning. It was like dessert.

So now what I need to know is: Do I want to suck it up and exercise some discipline, making myself teach these essentials? Or do I want to go ahead, give in to my baser nature :lol::tongue_smilie: and schedule the after-essentials so I'll have a carrot to lead me through the must-do subjects?

So part of this is that the essentials feel like plodding, and you just don't *want* to do them?

I'm in a bit of a brain fog today :) Er ... and just so you know, it's 4:13 pm and I have not yet done any schoolwork with my 1st or 2nd grader today.

Ah! I didn't read far enough before.

Hmmm. So now you've lost your plan for the non-essentials, making them seem more like a chore ...

Which non-essentials are those? And what are your kids spending their time on when left to their own devices?

History, religion, geography, science, and art: that is what I like to do. Those are our non-essentials.

The kids are spending their time writing. Writing! They're keeping a daily newspaper, and one of them (the reluctant writer) is writing a comic book.

There's also a lot of pretend, of the Lego town sort, that involves elaborate economic and government systems (plus soap opera storylines).

They're cooking more too, and they're paying each other to cook. One of their writing projects has been creating multiple page menus.

So glad it's not just me. ;) I'm currently taking it a day at a time, trying to shake a bit of meh-notony out of my days.

When you get it all worked out for your fam, will you let me know what works, by gum?! :D

Do you take the summer off? I've always thought that was not the thing to do. It has been proven, in schools, to not work, that is why there is so much time for catch up, and why they are planning to go to a full year school year, eventually.

We do year round school, which gives us so much more flexibility. It lets us ease up on our day to day when we need to, lets us take off days for special events, etc. I also give my daughter the choice--do more school on certain days, get other days off; an extra core subject (math, English, etc.) every day, can give you a day off a week (basically), do that for four weeks, you can get a week off (basically), kwim? That works so well! Keep a chart of it, they see it build up, they LOVE it!!!

We plan for things like our State Fair, which is coming the end of Sept. It is the same as budgeting for it. We have to start saving for the tickets, which are $19 each (pitiful, I know ;) ) for a season pass, ahead of time, so we do the same with school time, because we like to go for at least 4 days. Just as we have to save the money, we have to "do" the time, so we have time and money available when it arrives, because I don't like to let her take time off ahead of time (not that I don't, but I don't LIKE to--I try to only let her do it if we didn't know something was coming--otherwise, if she gives me a prob making up the time, I "cancel" her next big thing).

I've done this for a multitude of things--going to the park, a movie, whatever--when she has just felt like doing extra lessons, I've rewarded her with a surprise afternoon at the park, not counting it out of time she has earned off, and it works WONDERS!! I highly recommend it!

First let me say, what your kids are doing on their own sounds awesome! I would be so thrilled if my guys did some thing like that.

Second--I really like Mom to Aly's idea. That would take a lot of pressure off. I might try that.

Third--since your kids sound so self motivated perhaps you could put some of this in their hands. Make a list/chart with all the non essential areas you think should be covered. Then they could brainstorm (with your help) on different ways to cover those areas. Then you could put that on the chart and maybe they could pick from those ideas. It sounds like they might just do some of it on their own given some direction.

ie: science--nature study (perhaps put a column in their newspaper on birds observed,etc.)

History--read about an event and reenact it( you could take photos and again it could be in their paper)

Btw, you're kids seem pretty young (like mine) and I would try not to sweat it too much (particularly since they're doing such wonderful stuff with their time.:))

:lol:

This was seriously her first time up there! Freaked me out to see her walk by with the ladder! LOL!!

This was your 12yo? It was my 5yo. We have a two-and-a-half story 1920 duplex and the kiddo climbed up my tenant's fire escape, then scaled the rest, in order to rescue a kitten. I saw him jump down with the kitten in his arms, and I knew the kitten had been on the roof. "Freaked out" would be an understatement!

This was your 12yo? It was my 5yo. We have a two-and-a-half story 1920 duplex and the kiddo climbed up my tenant's fire escape, then scaled the rest, in order to rescue a kitten. I saw him jump down with the kitten in his arms, and I knew the kitten had been on the roof. "Freaked out" would be an understatement!

UGH. Gee, i'm having heart failure FOR YOU. :blink:

I assume it was the 12yo - she had the ladder, the other 2 were trotting behind her though - but i'm thinking i would have heard it was one of the other 2 you know?

It's actually something i'd expect the 4yo to attempt - but ONLY if it was something PINK :tongue_smilie:

I have to say though that the bug collecting has gone WAYYYY better than i ever expected. They keep asking when their new bug net is arriving! LOL!!

When my oldest was 8, I had a 5,4, & 2 year old. We did reading, handwriting, and math w/fun read alouds for history and science occasionally. It was great. And it was *enough* as well. :)

A couple of years ago I had a newborn, an 8yo, a 6yo and a 3yo. We did such a huge amount of stuff that year, that I look back and feel intimidated by my younger self. (Younger by two years, ha!) I remember sitting down every Sunday night with my planbook and sorting out SOTW1. I loved it. We got most of it done.

I think it's the amount of freedom that's causing me to buckle. I need more structure, more pressure, less wiggle room, 'cause if I can wiggle at all, I'll wiggle right out of doing it altogether.

:::sigh::: I just said I need more structure. If my unschooling buddies could see me now . . .

That's it. I'm making a content area plan. Remembering that year makes me happy. That was a good year. I bet I can unearth the planner I made that year, too.

History, religion, geography, science, and art: that is what I like to do. Those are our non-essentials.

The kids are spending their time writing. Writing! They're keeping a daily newspaper, and one of them (the reluctant writer) is writing a comic book.

There's also a lot of pretend, of the Lego town sort, that involves elaborate economic and government systems (plus soap opera storylines).

They're cooking more too, and they're paying each other to cook. One of their writing projects has been creating multiple page menus.

I don't know if I could bring myself to interrupt that, either. That's some pretty worthwhile 'play', wouldn't you say?

Could you grab them later, when they're bored, and do school then? I sometimes end up doing more with dd9 in the evenings, because I have a hard time interrupting her when she's doing something I want her to do anyway (like write).

If I make her do schoolwork in the am and then let her go, she never goes back to what she was doing. And isn't it strange how they can find all sorts of creative things to do during school time, but never after? At least mine don't.

I had to laugh at your 'free-range'. That's what they are, free-range kids. That's the best kind, isn't it?

I don't know if I could bring myself to interrupt that, either. That's some pretty worthwhile 'play', wouldn't you say?

<snip>

If I make her do schoolwork in the am and then let her go, she never goes back to what she was doing.

YEs, I do think it's very worthwhile play, especially since it's like pulling teeth to get this kid to write.

I wonder if the kids will remain creative if I don't let the play start, if I drill-sargent their every move through to the end of breakfast/start of school.

Can we see it when you're done?

We're still in the "hitting the high points" camp, but I'm certainly leaning in the direction of more structure. I've been working on a five day schedule page for Will to use. It lists required daily activities to check off as he does them (practicing Latin vocab., handwriting/copywork, chores), has a spot for the lessons that require him to sit down for direct instruction with me so he knows ahead of time what's expected, and then has a list of seatwork that I expect to have done by the end of the week. He can pick from a list of tasks, and do one or several on any given day, but they all have to be done by the end of the week.

I'm somewhat similar to Mom to Aly in that we homeschool year-round, though so far we've been "finishing" history and science on the traditional schedule and then casually spiraling during the summer. We don't really honor weekends as non-schooling days, so I don't have days of the week on the form. That way, if there's an all-day art program at our local arts center on a Wednesday, we just do activities on another day instead. Also, I'm finding that once I've actually got the booth set up at our little farmers' market, there are downtimes when I can pull a kid over to do a lesson, and with my dh there, I don't have to amuse the two-year-old at the same time. SO much easier.

Do you find that your family has quieter homeschooling periods followed by bursts of intense learning? Maybe you're just having academic downtime at the beginning of the year this time. Can that happen? While I think I shouldn't try for weekly or highly structured co-op-ing, maybe we could plan a monthly one? I'm up for it if you think it would help you set up and keep to a content area plan. Heck, I'm up for it anyway.

Can we see it when you're done?

Yes, but I imagine it will only be useful for two people in the whole wide world. I had to do a long term spreadsheet so I could see what I wanted to get in this year, vs. save for next year, in order to resist the urge to do it all at once. 'Cause, you know, a person could actually read aloud, in one year, every book Drew schedules for K-6. And that would totally not be LCC'ing, would it?

We don't really honor weekends as non-schooling days, so I don't have days of the week on the form. That way, if there's an all-day art program at our local arts center on a Wednesday, we just do activities on another day instead.

I've been using Day One, Day Two, etc., and that's how I realized I'd done so very little. We were on, I think, day eight, when I determined that there was a problem -- we'd been (not) following the schedule for a month.

Also, I'm finding that once I've actually got the booth set up at our little farmers' market, there are downtimes when I can pull a kid over to do a lesson, and with my dh there, I don't have to amuse the two-year-old at the same time. SO much easier.

The threat of being interrupted would drive me nuts.

Do you find that your family has quieter homeschooling periods followed by bursts of intense learning?

I don't know. Do we?

While I think I shouldn't try for weekly or highly structured co-op-ing, maybe we could plan a monthly one? I'm up for it if you think it would help you set up and keep to a content area plan. Heck, I'm up for it anyway.

Um, yes. How about a themed show-and-tell, hosted in the big room next to the music room in the library, where they always play movies? Something like:

September -- Europe in the Middle Ages

October -- geology

November -- Asia in the Middle Ages

December -- none, break for holidays

January -- Africa in the Middle Ages

February -- literature (Mansa Musa, Shakespeare, whatever kids pick)

March -- meteorology

April -- the New World and explorers

May -- astronomy

Kids create displays and bring them to show off? We could rotate parental responsibility for activity.

I'm don't really have anything worthwhile to add, just thought I'd chime in and say that I'm one of those lazy people who need some sort of schedule if the goal is (for example) actually finishing any amount of school work. (And this is true even though my son is only heading into 2nd grade.) I try not to keep the schedule simple, and not freak when we don't get to everything I had planned for the week as long as we got to most of it (or at least the important stuff.)

Last year, I didn't sit down and look at Drawing With Kids and then write it into our plans before school started, so guess what we never got around to doing? Mmhm. Sadly, I need a schedule -- but oh, how I wish that I was naturally disciplined enough to get along with out it.