Menu

World Religions course and Ethics course

I am trying to come up with titles to include in a world religions course.  While my province approves of this course and has a limited set of outcomes it is not taught through the distance learning provider so I need to come up with it on my own.  

I need to cover:

CONTENT
1. Meaning of religion
2. Development of religion
3. Faith is the core element of religion
4. Major religions of the world
5. Basic beliefs and practices of the major
religions of the world

So fairly straight forward I think.  THe problem is so many books out there that include all the religions do so in a way that says Christianity is the only right one.  I want my kids to have a good solid overview of other religions not just how they compare to ours.  

So what titles have you enjoyed either for your teens or yourself that discuss other religions around the world.

ALSO I am looking at putting together the religious ethics course, that is approved.  Just like above no where to take it but content guidelines set.

CONTENT

1. concept of ethics

2. Meaning of religious ethics

3. Ways in which adolescent attains self-realization

4. How the adolescent works out his or her
identity in society
5. How certain specific contemporary issues
affect the adolescent

Are there ethics books you have used with your teens that you really liked? Just regular ethics books, as based on the content expected I don't think it really is religiously based.  

My plan for both is spending 1 semester on each, so I don't need a huge list of titles, just a few I can look into.  I trust the recommendations on the hive more than on amazon or other homeschooling groups :)

Many years ago I read Islam: a Short Introduction. I thought it was well done. The book used the architecture of a mosque to lead into the various beliefs of Islam and it included some brief history. Was pre 2001 so it didn't touch on terrorism or political aspects of Islam.

For Shinto the best book I found when we lived in Japan was The Kami Way.

For many religions I think one discussion item would be the difficulty in separating out the religion and the culture. To some extent they may be impossible to untangle.

Many years ago I read Islam: a Short Introduction. I thought it was well done. The book used the architecture of a mosque to lead into the various beliefs of Islam and it included some brief history. Was pre 2001 so it didn't touch on terrorism or political aspects of Islam.

For Shinto the best book I found when we lived in Japan was The Kami Way.

For many religions I think one discussion item would be the difficulty in separating out the religion and the culture. To some extent they may be impossible to untangle.

THanks for the titles.  The bolded is a good point, I will for sure be including that in our discussions

Also the Teaching Company has several series on world religion. I listened to some on Buddhism and found them interesting.

Ohh I forgot about T.C.  the kids have enjoyed other series we have used from TC, I will be looking into the titles they have, it would be a good way to include religions without adding too much to the kids heavy reading year as well.

Brandy, I am currently listening to Cultural Literacy for Religion: Everything the Well-Educated Person Should Know and I really enjoy it. You can get it through Audible for one credit. I am going to build it into ds's history courses along with philosophy so that at the end of his high school career, he will have one credit towards "Introduction to Religion and Philosophy."  We are using World Religions: From Ancient History to the Present as a text, unless I find something better. The first part covers ancient religions and is fairly interesting, but you could skip that and head straight into Hinduism. I have also have several volumes of the Bedford World Literature anthologies that provide context and selections from major sacred texts.

A History of God by Karen Armstrong is...well...long.  But it is a fantastic source for excerpts about how Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all intertwine, split from each other, and are very much similar.  If you have your student getting geeked out, it is very well worth the read!

It might be worth pulling from the library as a reference book for various questions.  I know it has helped me quite a lot when we did a World Mythology course with my son this year.  He had great questions and I had no answers.  Much like you stated above, most of my comparative religion was very much from the standpoint of Christ awesome, the rest heathens.

You might want to check out RZIMAcademy. They just started up and the pilot class for the Core Module is underway (I am in it, it's very good). After the 12 week core module is completed, then the students can enroll in other courses. They have said that they will be offering Understanding Islam this fall. 

David Vogel is an excellent worldview teacher  as well. Check out his courses: www.livingtheanswer.com

• 4 weeks later...

Brandy, I am currently listening to Cultural Literacy for Religion: Everything the Well-Educated Person Should Know and I really enjoy it. You can get it through Audible for one credit. I am going to build it into ds's history courses along with philosophy so that at the end of his high school career, he will have one credit towards "Introduction to Religion and Philosophy." We are using World Religions: From Ancient History to the Present as a text, unless I find something better. The first part covers ancient religions and is fairly interesting, but you could skip that and head straight into Hinduism. I have also have several volumes of the Bedford World Literature anthologies that provide context and selections from major sacred texts.

Which text are you planning on for the Philosophy portion?

I am using The Story Of Philosophy by Bryan Magee and supplementing it with The Teaching Company's The Great Ideas of Philosophy lecture series. We read Sophie's World in 7th grade, which makes a good introduction to philosophy, but my ds would never tolerate reading it again as he was beyond irritated with the end. It is worth looking at and is often used in AP Literature courses.

I am using The Story Of Philosophy by Bryan Magee and supplementing it with The Teaching Company's The Great Ideas of Philosophy lecture series. We read Sophie's World in 7th grade, which makes a good introduction to philosophy, but my ds would never tolerate reading it again as he was beyond irritated with the end. It is worth looking at and is often used in AP Literature courses.

Thank you! I will check these out!

Have you used this? I have looked at it, but of course can't see any samples. Do you like the text Living Religions? Is the syllabus worth it? Thanks!

Hi butterfly113,

I have not used this yet, but have it on my radar for next year.

Carrie

Brandy, I am currently listening to Cultural Literacy for Religion: Everything the Well-Educated Person Should Know and I really enjoy it. You can get it through Audible for one credit. I am going to build it into ds's history courses along with philosophy so that at the end of his high school career, he will have one credit towards "Introduction to Religion and Philosophy."  We are using World Religions: From Ancient History to the Present as a text, unless I find something better. The first part covers ancient religions and is fairly interesting, but you could skip that and head straight into Hinduism. I have also have several volumes of the Bedford World Literature anthologies that provide context and selections from major sacred texts.

Thank you for posting this.  I am planning high school and couldn't figure out how to do these subjects and what to call it.  I plan to use the two spines you listed  and use your course title.

Thank you