Menu

Junk Junk everywhere and not enough space to put it

DawnM

Party at my house tomorrow.  (Literal party with people coming over!)

I just don't have enough places to put all this junk!  

We have filled up the garbage cans three times, taken stuff to good will, and keep chipping away, but I have no idea what to do with so much of this!  

Just commiserate with me.

Party at my house tomorrow.  

I just don't have enough places to put all this junk!  

We have filled up the garbage cans three times, taken stuff to good will, and keep chipping away, but I have no idea what to do with so much of this!  

Just commiserate with me.

DawnM: are you have the party because of the junk and you want people to come and get some junk? Or you are having a party tomorrow and you need to clean the junk out of the way?

Most of the people that I know are clean freaks. I don't know how they get to be like that. My youngest is 12 and still things are messy. They do their own laundry and help with the chores. Would you like to see my "garage"? I think it is a storage room, knife shop, auto repair supplies area.

When people give me stuff I don't want or need I am pretty quick at getting rid of it.

Yes, heartlikealion, and they would probably throw them right into the trash heap anyway because they are used to getting poor condition battery-operated toys. One day when I delivered some clothing and other household stuff, the guy was just taking the stuff that was hard to label as "what is this" it and putting it in the pile to be disposed of, really. Why? They don't like accepting large scraps of fabric. In some areas I am sure you have to ask before you drive to the donation site and find out exactly what they like to have donated.

Oh my goodness! I've had a side table and a grandfather clock smack in the middle of my dining room for a month because I just don't know where to put them. I have a chair covered with "things to go to goodwill," but I haven't had a chance to bag them and stuff them in the car yet. I have a mirror that I'm going to hang after we paint, but it looks like we won't paint for another month, so I need to find "somewhere" to put it. I have a stack of old towels to be used to clean up spills and I don't know where to store them (it's a small house.)

There is not a single surface in my house that is clear. There is something on everything and it's driving me crazy, but I just don't know where to put the things I have. And I don't necessarily have a ton of clutter. It sounds like I do, but the thing is that I have a small house. My closets are tiny. None of them are walk in. They're all little holes in the wall stuffed full of clothes, and we don't have a lot of clothes--the closets are just tiny post WWII housing closets.

It drives me crazy.

I can sympathize.  We end up with way too much stuff.  Family members are constantly giving us things.  Just this weekend, my mom unearthed a clown costume that was mine in the 6th grade.  Do I want it?  Nope.  Did I tell her this?  Yep.  Will I probably end up with it?  Yep.

The last time my brother visited our house, he went into my basement (unfinished, full of shelves and boxes and just tons of stuff.)  His comment?  "Wow, it's like a third-world Walmart down there." 

Gee, thanks, little bro. 

HA!  no, I am having a party at my house to have a party.  

Actually, my dear aunt, who was a 2nd mom to me, passed away last month.  I am having a dinner/celebration of life for her with my friends because she requested not to have a funeral.

Dawn

DawnM: are you have the party because of the junk and you want people to come and get some junk? Or you are having a party tomorrow and you need to clean the junk out of the way?

Most of the people that I know are clean freaks. I don't know how they get to be like that. My youngest is 12 and still things are messy. They do their own laundry and help with the chores. Would you like to see my "garage"? I think it is a storage room, knife shop, auto repair supplies area.
When people give me stuff I don't want or need I am pretty quick at getting rid of it.

I can sympathize.  We end up with way too much stuff.  Family members are constantly giving us things.  Just this weekend, my mom unearthed a clown costume that was mine in the 6th grade.  Do I want it?  Nope.  Did I tell her this?  Yep.  Will I probably end up with it?  Yep.

Sounds like my family. I just try to keep a constant flow going in the trash or to donation. (Fortunately, my dh is not a clutter person at all & is practically gleeful at the thought of donating stuff, so he constantly drops off our donations.)

I hear you. I've gotten rid of a lot of crap over the years. The crazy thing is it isn't crap that I bought. This is stuff that people insisted on giving me. I don't like this "stuff".

My MIL gave me this huge weird contraption for xmas. It's basically like this big arse bowl with some weird top that you light rocks and incense and potpourri or some nonsense like that. I have no idea what to do with it. I appreciate gifts and I feel bad to feel this way, but really I have nowhere to put something like that. I don't have shelves for random stuff. I suppose I could put it on the coffee table, but I dunno...

I have about 100 coffee cups/mugs. I have not purchased a single one of them.

Did she give you a bong? You could take it to DawnM's party.