Menu

Did you guys see that SWB's writing progression list...

Now includes CAP W&R books 7 and up?

This might help me as I am using the "third progression," modified slightly. But I wanted to work in W&R alongside WWE...

Now I am confirmed that I could do that or probably skip books 3-6 and still be able to use and enjoy W&R later.

(But we will use both, because my dd is very excited about W&R but it's not enough practice IMO)

I've seen it, but I'm kind of skeptical.  I mean, no one has seen the upper-level CAP books, we've just seen the first 3, so it's hard to say if books 7+ will be appropriate for upper level high school, KWIM?

That said, I'm having my 6th grader do book 3 right now, accelerated, for easy fun end of year writing practice, and I plan to have her do book 4&5 next year, if they are good, and continue with the sequence, if they match what she needs as they come out.  I think they can be used both earlier and later than written (my 2nd grader is doing Fable), but I don't think you should take the grade-level recs on SWB's list as gospel or anything.  She doesn't know any more than we do about exactly how this series will pan out and how it would apply to high schoolers.

ETA:  All I can say for sure right now, based on experience, is that W&R Book 3 is much easier than WWS1, but has much more variety of exercises and asks for higher-level thinking skills than WWE3 & 4. and thus it would be a fantastic bridge between WWE & WWS.  I'm not saying it's harder than WWE - in fact, the passages are easier - but it has more diversity of exercises, thus is asking the student to do higher-level thinking and writing beyond just narration and dictation.

I've seen it, but I'm kind of skeptical. I mean, no one has seen the upper-level CAP books, we've just seen the first 3, so it's hard to say if books 7+ will be appropriate for upper level high school, KWIM?

That said, I'm having my 6th grader do book 3 right now, accelerated, for easy fun end of year writing practice, and I plan to have her do book 4&5 next year, if they are good, and continue with the sequence, if they match what she needs as they come out. I think they can be used both earlier and later than written (my 2nd grader is doing Fable), but I don't think you should take the grade-level recs on SWB's list as gospel or anything. She doesn't know any more than we do about exactly how this series will pan out and how it would apply to high schoolers.

ETA: All I can say for sure right now, based on experience, is that W&R Book 3 is much easier than WWS1, but has much more variety of exercises and asks for higher-level thinking skills than WWE3 & 4. and thus it would be a fantastic bridge between WWE & WWS. I'm not saying it's harder than WWE - in fact, the passages are easier - but it has more diversity of exercises, thus is asking the student to do higher-level thinking and writing beyond just narration and dictation.

My assumption was that maybe CAP sent her some samples of all the upper level books. Remember, the W&R was already written, it's just being re-written and polished for use in the US. Therefore it seems to be it would be super easy for Mr Perrin to send Mrs Bauer some samples. Totally an assumption of course.

Yeah, I asked about that on the other thread, but apparently not.  I was hoping she knew something we didn't, too!  I'm glad it's on her list of recs, though, it is totally philosophically aligned with her writing programs and writing lectures.

I was excited to see EIW on the list as well, since I'm using Level 5 as a bridge between WWE and WWS. Hoever, SWB later clarified that the alternate programs are not as much "recommendations" as "possibilities" for people looking for an alternate pathway using WWE and WWS at different rates.