Menu

Co-op Preschool Ideas

I have taught Five in a Row a couple of times--the first time, it was mostly 6 year olds and they could do all kinds of activities--both from the FIAR book and ones I found online.  This year, I had mostly 5 year olds and it was harder--and they were VERY finicky about having a book re-read, so I had to pretty much do a new book every week or two. 

We did have a good time--I didn't follow FIAR as closely as before.  We did calendar activities first each week, then read our book, looked up the location on a map, discussed things about the book, did some kind of hands-on thing.  And if we had leftover time, we played a game.

They like to move around, and, IMO, don't enjoy a lot of paperwork--we only had about 2 out of 7 who enjoyed coloring, none of them could cut, gluing was an . . .experience.  So more hands-on and sitting on the floor and active games than any sort of table work.

Betsy

Thanks for your responses! I'm teaching Five in a Row this year to K-2 graders, and it's been a fun class.

In looking online last night, I found the Letter of the Week preschool curriculum at Confessions of a Homeschooler website. It's exactly what I was looking for, and perfect as we have 26 weeks. :)

• 10 months later...

I designed a "Letter of the Week" curriculum for our coop's preschool class.  Each week focuses on a letter, we talk about things that start with that letter, and learn what sound the letter makes.  We do a bible story, another fun read-aloud, and have a snack. We make a letter craft (gluing things that start with the letter) and I try to incorporate some sort of motor skills activity so the kids aren't sitting the whole time.  If time and attention spans permit, we do another fun activity related to the letter of the week.

Pinterest has been very helpful for crafts, and I've also used quite a bit from Confessions of a Homeschooler.

I've had to revamp my lesson plans this year, as I have mostly young 3 year olds.  In years past, the class has been for 3-5 years old, so I've had some who were ready to begin tracing letters and cutting.  This year we added a separate K4 class, which really changed the dynamic of what the preschool class is able to do!

This past week we did the letter R.  So we read about Rebekah at the well, had raisins for a snack, glued ribbons on the letter R, and made a rainbow by gluing Froot Loops cereal on a paper plate.  I also planned to do ribbon dancing, but we ran out of time.

Lana

If you were teaching a weekly co-op preschool class (1 hr. long) for 3-5 year olds, what would you use for a curriculum? It will most likely be about 6-8 kids.

I recently discovered The Homegrown Preschooler.  I heard the author speak at convention and immediately went home and ordered the book.  It is really a beautiful book with so many sensory activities for preschoolers.  My kids have loved all the activities we have tried. They also have a full curriculum called Playing Skillfully.  It might be exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.thehomegrownpreschooler.com/

• 3 weeks later...

If it's only an hour once a week, I think you could really do anything. Art would be good. Picture book a la FIAR would be good, but you're not going to be able to really Row a book the way a family can or if you saw the kids all the time - it would be more like book and activity, singular. Letter of the week would be fine. Drama or games could be good. But you could also do a theme or a series of themes, like dinosaurs or plants or animals or colors or something and do activities and art and books all around the theme.

• 3 weeks later...