Menu

From the "Never Say Never" Files...

My daughter is desperate to finish high school at home, and I have decided after much internal debate, to let her.  She will be in 11th grade next year.  She was homeschooled through 7th grade, at which point she was desperate to attend public school.  She is thriving academically there but it is not a good environment...and if I really mean what I believe (as far as education, anyway) then this is the time to change.

Here is what she is registered for at the PS next year--and why I really hesitated to bring her home:

AP English

AP Spanish

AP Physics (not calculus based)

Honors Precalc

U.S. History

Health and PE

Drawing and Painting 3

So....goodbye health, PE, art, and Spanish.  Hello Derek Owens physics and Chalk Dust precalc and WTM English.  And homemade US History and some other elective.

I love the Colorado homeschool law.  Because school here is not compulsory after age 16, no records, testing, or notification is required for homeschoolers after the student is 16.  There are no required classes that homeschoolers have to take--only vague requirements about reading, writing, speaking, and the Constitution.  The way I understand it, I could pretty much let her sleep through the next two years and give her a diploma.  Of course...colleges would frown on that.  ;-) 

The truth is, at this point she has absolutely zero interest in college.  She has other goals that do not include college.  But I will still require rigorous work and the ACT...because you never know (and she would be bored otherwise!).

My question is--am I crazy?  My dh is all in with this, so that's good.   We kind of have to do this on the cheap, which is why I am looking at Chalk Dust--I can piece together the components cheaply, but if anyone has other good suggestions for a video-based precalc, I would welcome them! 

I have no idea about keeping transcripts...but I figure I will figure it out later.  She is so happy and relieved, and I feel peace about it too.  My baby only has 2 more years at home.  Wish us luck! 

My question is--am I crazy?  My dh is all in with this, so that's good.   We kind of have to do this on the cheap, which is why I am looking at Chalk Dust--I can piece together the components cheaply, but if anyone has other good suggestions for a video-based precalc, I would welcome them! 

I have no idea about keeping transcripts...but I figure I will figure it out later.  She is so happy and relieved, and I feel peace about it too.  My baby only has 2 more years at home.  Wish us luck! 

Are you crazy? NO!

You are pulling a child who doesn't want to go to college out of a year of college study and putting her in a year of rigorous high school work that she wants to do. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. It meets her goals and your goals. You are still preparing her for college so she can change her mind if she decides she needs it. 

Enjoy your daughter these last two years. I'm happy for you both.

I don't think you're crazy either, but I also applaud your efforts to do college prep not only in case she changes her mind, but also because I think it's a good education for all (capable) students to have.

What does she want to do after getting that high school diploma?  (AKA What are her fields of interest?)  There's plenty of BTDT advice for gleaning suggestions from many circles of life.

I don't think you're crazy either, but I also applaud your efforts to do college prep not only in case she changes her mind, but also because I think it's a good education for all (capable) students to have.

What does she want to do after getting that high school diploma?  (AKA What are her fields of interest?)  There's plenty of BTDT advice for gleaning suggestions from many circles of life.

She feels called to the religious life and will spend at least one year after high school living and working at a monastery to test the call.  This is not tentative, it's already been approved.    If she decides to go to college, her current strong interests are art  history/preservation/conservation (she is currently taking AP art history)--which requires a lot of college--or teaching.

Very intriguing...how does it work?  Do you have to buy the text from Cengage to get access to the website?  Is it possible that these resources are "free" if you use this book?  Are you buying or renting the book?  Thanks!

We havent actually used it, but when I have been playing around with it, I have been able to access all the videos, etc.   I own an older version of the book.  My life is pure chaos right now (my grandkids have been living we me w/o their mommy or daddy.   Between a couple of months ago and currently, I have had them for over 4 weeks this school yr.   We are way behind in school.)   Anyway, my plan when life returns to normal is to spend time comparing the info online and the text I own to see if they are compatible before I purchase a new book.

We havent actually used it, but when I have been playing around with it, I have been able to access all the videos, etc.   I own an older version of the book.  My life is pure chaos right now (my grandkids have been living we me w/o their mommy or daddy.   Between a couple of months ago and currently, I have had them for over 4 weeks this school yr.   We are way behind in school.)   Anyway, my plan when life returns to normal is to spend time comparing the info online and the text I own to see if they are compatible before I purchase a new book.

You do have your hands full.  I hope things calm down soon.  Thank you so much for this info and website--we are definitely going to be looking into it.  We can rent the textbook for about $100 for the year from amazon...it almost sounds too good to be true, but exactly what we are looking for.

Thanks again!

She feels called to the religious life and will spend at least one year after high school living and working at a monastery to test the call.  This is not tentative, it's already been approved.    If she decides to go to college, her current strong interests are art  history/preservation/conservation (she is currently taking AP art history)--which requires a lot of college--or teaching.

It sounds like you've developed a great plan for her high school education based upon what she wants to do.  That's our job (IMO) as parents/guidance counselors.   ;)

You do have your hands full.  I hope things calm down soon.  Thank you so much for this info and website--we are definitely going to be looking into it.  We can rent the textbook for about $100 for the year from amazon...it almost sounds too good to be true, but exactly what we are looking for.

Thanks again!

It looks like you can rent it directly from Cengage for 44.49. http://www.cengagebrain.com/shop/isbn/9781133949015

This does seem to good to be true, but if someone plays with it and has more information, I'd love to hear more about it. It looks like a terrific option.

It looks like you can rent it directly from Cengage for 44.49. http://www.cengagebrain.com/shop/isbn/9781133949015

This does seem to good to be true, but if someone plays with it and has more information, I'd love to hear more about it. It looks like a terrific option.

The drawbacks I'm seeing are these:  the video quality isn't as good as the DVD, and the field is smaller and surrounded by other info that could be distracting.  Also the worked out solutions are on calcchat.com and you have to click separately for each and every problem in a section.  Also, there are ads in both places, which is understandable on a free service.  Hmmm....will have to think on this some more. 

ETA:  turns out there is a printed solution manual for this book (Larson Precalculus 9e) for purchase or rent.  That might be easier than all the clicking/looking at ads all year long.

My current idea is to rent both this text and the solution manual for the year.  I have already purchased the Houghton Mifflin Dana Mosely DVDs for precalc--which is where the videos on larsonprecalculus.com likely come from--these DVDs are cheap on Amazon and more or less appear to line up with this text.  That way I won't have to resell anything and can still access the website if we need to for the other goodies. 

Things sure have changed in online math even in the last 3 years that I haven't been homeschooling her!