Menu

Please help me find a science program

classicmommy

I need a science program for my 1st grader that follows the WTM. I wanted to follow the recommendations  in the WTM on my own. But honestly, I don't think it will happen here. I have a 4 and 2 year too, and one on the way.  I would like the following:

1. Open and go

2. Projects/ experiments

3. Follow WTM recommendations for 1st grade science.

I have looked at Apologia, God's Design for Science and Elemental. I am pretty overwhelmed with this decision. I would love you feedback! Thank you.

Mr. Q's Science, Elemental Science, and Real Science Odyssey are the closest you will get to WTM science.

Easiest for you to do realistically with littles and new baby? Nancy Larson or McRuffy because everything you need {mostly} is there in the kit. 

Even easier? Magic SchoolBus DVDs, a magnifying glass, and the library! Maybe Memoria Press's Enrichment guides as they have science suggestions in them.

Last year we did Magic School Bus DVDs and books from the library. This year we did Nancy Larson Science....both of those got done since they were "open and go" so to speak:) I considered switching next year to Science in the Beginning, but I'm I don't know if I'm ready to leave NL quite yet;)

Noeo matches up with WTM fairly well.  RSO level one life science has good reviews (you can get a large preview for free at their website).  Elemental Science also follows WTM recommendations.  

That being said, I wouldn't sweat science yet. The best thing you can do to promote scientific thinking and prepare them is to let them observe, experiment (play), and talk to them about what they are doing and help them question what they observe (like you're really interested, not like you're grilling for understanding). Even if all you did for science is watch episodes of Magic School Bus, check out some Let's Read and Find Out books, and do nature walks/play outside a lot you would still be fine. So much of elementary science is watered down to the point of being factually obscured.  Better to instill a love of science now, so that when they are older they will be excited to tackle the hard stuff.  

Mr. Q is very easy to implement. You can do the chapters and the projects/experiments, or you can do just the chapters if you need (this year, I had 6th, 3rd, preK, 2yo, and newborn -- sometimes projects didn't happen). However, it's a LOT of pages (like 900 total), so you really need to be able to read it via a tablet or computer screen.