Menu

U.S. History resources for a second grader?

pehp

I am planning out next year a little bit and will be teaching US History to my second grader (he turns 7 in June).  We own This Country of Ours but I don't love it; I need to look through my "library" downstairs for resources because I know I have at least a few books.

I'm most interested in living books (taking the "storytelling" approach to learning about history) and any interesting projects or resources for projects that you've used in the past.  My son is very hands-on.  He's also artistic; I think we'll definitely be looking at the D'Aulaires' books. Anything great on founding fathers, the declaration of independence, etc would be helpful!  The DofI and Constitution are my love and forte, because I'm an attorney by training, BUT....he doesn't want to listen to me drone on about the Constitution.  We'll save that joy for the teenage years. 

We'll also be working on some US geography. We read Paddle to the Sea this year (loved it) but if there are additional good US geo living books "out there" or interesting resources (we own the US Geopuzzle), I'd love to know about them.

Thanks in advance!

Here are some of the titles we read.  Most public libraries have an overabundance of picture books and easy readers covering this era.  Check out a bunch, skim them and read the interesting ones.

Betsy Maestro’s America series

American Symbols series: The Declaration of Independence (Lori Mortensen), The U.S. Constitution (Norman Pearl)

You Wouldn’t Want to Be at the Boston Tea Party (Peter Cook)

Sam the Minuteman (Nathaniel Benchley)

George the Drummer Boy (Nathaniel Benchley)

Paul Revere’s Ride (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

Phillis Sings Out Freedom: The Story of George Washington and Phillis Wheatley (Ann Malaspina)

Can’t You Make them Behave, King George (Jean Fritz)

Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and the True Story of an American Feud (Suzanne Tripp Jurmain)

The Cabin Faced West (Jean Fritz)

Schoolhouse Rock: History Rock!

Geography:

Minn of the Mississippi (H. C. Holling)

Tree in the Trail (H. C. Holling)

Growth of a Nation [online resource - http://www.animatedatlas.com]

We are covering 1789-present this year, U.S. in a world context.  If you are interested in the titles we used, P.M. me and I’ll send you a list of what we used. 

Thank you so much for these resources! I like to get solid recommendations to check out instead of playing "library roulette" (which I do play every month in our geography/cultures study) so this is HELPFUL.  

I was looking through some books today that I have and one of them is a Child's History Book and it must have been one of my grandmother's school books. It is full of tales/narratives on American history. I can't wait to look through it further--but it is in *delicate* condition!

I am looking at the biographies on Scholastic now. PDF downloads for a dollar.  She needs a cheap tablet to play with anyway, and I thought these books would be great to carry along with us while we travel, visit, and run off to play on the mountain.  :)  (OK, not really a mountain, but gosh when you hike it ... it feels like a mountain!)