Menu

Berating your dc at sporting events looks even worse when your child has special needs...

bettyandbob

I get that people who have special needs children maintain a philosophy that they treat their dc the same as they would their typically developing dc. However, if the approach is questionable/inappropriate the problems are glaring when a child with special needs is involved.

I was at a Spec Olympics swim meet today. After my ds finished his events, he and I were in the family dressing. Family dressing at the aquatic center can accommodate many people at once. Another mother came in with her son. The boy was definitely not older than 12. She was berating him about his stroke. The boy was crying. Clearly, any fun of the meet was ruined.

I absolutely hate seeing this when I go to summer league meets, but I just didn't expect it at Spec Olympics.

Clearly, the mother missed the memo. She also didn't listen to the Special Olympics Oath which is recited before the National Anthem.

I can't stand it when people run their kids down. The mom of another goalie my son played with never had a kind word for her son, either to other parents or to him. It made me ill. I began avoiding her even though she wanted to have a "chummy-goalie-mom" friendship.

:( That's heartbreaking.  I have a cousin (who is almost my age - he's 33 or 34 now) who has been involved in special olympics and other special team sports since he was very young.  It's so sweet when his dad posts on FB about how his team (or Jeff specifically) "came so close" to winning (30-10 or some other huge spread) and how they worked so hard in their games and practices.  That's how it should be.  He's always building him up, praising his efforts, focusing on what he did really well.  My cousin just might have had to have words with that mom (but he's in his 70's and past caring about being polite about things like that).

Unconscionable behavior.  I am so sorry.  That poor child.  Why do some parents feel the need to cut down their kids over and over?  Who does that benefit?

My daughter was in ballet when she was little.  The night of their performance in a huge auditorium with lots and lots of parents coming to see many age levels of ballerinas these little 4 year olds were terrified.  My daughter was absolutely terrified.  The instructor had an emergency and left me (the only parent still in back with her child) to watch the kids while she went to take care of it.  I spent the next 15 minutes working really hard to cheer up the girls.  We sang quiet songs, we told funny stories, etc.  They started to relax and feel better.   We were laughing and several were getting excited about the performance.  Then another mom showed up towing her little 4 year old with a death lock around her wrist.  The little girl was silently crying.  Mom was stressed because they were late.  Mom sat her down with the other girls then proceeded to scream at her for several minutes.  Apparently the little girl had lost her ballet slippers so they were late getting to the performance.  Mom stormed off to go sit in the audience and left me with 12 4 year olds all terrified again and many of them crying.  The little girl that got dragged in finally crawled into my lap (along with my daughter) and just shook all over in terror and sorrow.  Thanks, Mom.