Menu

common core math- how is it different?

mom2Hh

Can anyone briefly explain or post links to articles about how common core math is different than the math some homeschoolers might have been using?  How does common core change RightStart Math or Singapore Math for example?  Is it more about what topics are taught in what grade or how it is taught?

It's what topics are taught in what grades. How they are taught is almost entirely left up to curriculum companies. Which is why you have incredibly high quality curriculum like BA that are CC aligned while also having awful curriculum companies that are CC aligned.

It's worth reading the CC standards for yourself. There's very little reliable CC info online--too much politics, rumor, and fear (on both sides).

Right Start, Math Mammoth, and some of the other curricula that have aligned have posted what changes they made.  I agree with the above that it's mostly just which topics are covered which years.  CC specifically requires some problem solving and explaining type stuff, but it can presented however a curricula likes.

If the program is a solid one, I wouldn't worry too much about the CCSS revisions.

The one exception is I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the CCSS revision of Singapore Primary Mathematics. The secondary Singapore series (Discovering Mathematics) was revised to make it CCSS compliant without any loss of rigor. However, Jenny from Singaporemath.com said that the CCSS revision of PM would take out topics from the CA Standards edition. A beta version of the 1st through 3rd grade CCSS edition books was submitted for review to the state of CA and it got denied approval for being AHEAD of CCSS ("students would not spend the majority of their time on grade-appropriate topics"). So now I'm even MORE concerned that the final version will be very much "dumbed down" from the current CA Standards edition.

The old CA state math standards are more rigorous than the CCSS math standards, as you can see from this S&S comparison: http://www.scoe.net/castandards/multimedia/k-12_math_crosswalks.pdf