Menu

Does anyone know about Glencoe Algebra?

Eldest DS is entering PS after being homeschooled K-8. Our local school uses Glencoe Algebra 2, and Geometry. We have been extremely satisfied Saxon users. We started K12.com for DS's 5th grade year, and were sorely disappointed in their math program because it is NOT incremental. So all 4 kids have done K12 math AND Saxon each school year, using the K12 as somewhat of a review/overview. What should I expect with Glencoe? How about Stewart's Calculus? Bittinger Trigonometry?

Thanks for any observations!

I have the Glencoe Algebra texts. I have never seen the Saxon math texts in person beyond 54 and 65, but I think that they sort of integrate geometry throughout algebra 1 and 2, right?

From Glencoe I have PreAlgebra, Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Algebra 2 California edition and Precalculus. What do you want to know about them, exactly?

(does anyone know what it is about California that many publishers write to their standards?)

ETA right --> write :(

Oh, and I have Stewarts Calculus too, I own the 7th edition!

ETA: Okay, this is weird, I have 'Algebra and Trigonometry' by Beecher, Peena and Bittinger. Its the 3rd edition.

Maybe I took too great of advantage from the Free Book desk at my school, lol.

I understand the addiction to free books! (Or even those that cost a little. Or a lot. . .)

What I want to know is this: are Glencoe texts incremental? When we started with K12, I noticed immediately that they introduce a concept, cover it for a unit, test on it, and then drop it for eternity, or so it seemed. That is devastating for a 4th grader--are they really going to remember how to add fractions when they studied it in September and don't see it again until assessments in April? Saxon shows it to them every day, or at least every week, for the entire course. They don't LET you forget concepts. Maybe some educators believe high schoolers are better able to retain information for a whole school year, but I'm pretty sure they are less retentive than I am, and I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

So does Glencoe teach something and build on it, or do they teach concepts as individual units and never tie them together?

Same questions apply here for Beecher/Peena/Bittinger Trig and Stewart Calculus, too.

And on the California question, I want to know why everything causes cancer in California. Apparently lab rats in California are far more susceptible to every known/unknown toxin in the world. We are building a house, and it seems that every component we purchase wears a label that announces it is known to cause cancer in California. (Why not New Jersey? Or Oklahoma? Arkansas?)

So does Glencoe teach something and build on it, or do they teach concepts as individual units and never tie them together?

And on the California question, I want to know why everything causes cancer in California. Apparently lab rats in California are far more susceptible to every known/unknown toxin in the world. We are building a house, and it seems that every component we purchase wears a label that announces it is known to cause cancer in California. (Why not New Jersey? Or Oklahoma? Arkansas?)

I don't have the Glencoe math books.  However the workbooks and study guides can be found on the publisher's website. 

The study guide (200 page pdf) for Glencoe Algebra 2 is in this link http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0078884829/633670/alg2sgi.pdf

The 104 page geometry study guide pdf is here http://www.glencoe.com/sec/math/geometry/ca/ca_05/pdfs/gcasgw_SE_6232.pdf

California's Proposition 65 is what cause the proliferation of labels.

They will not be incremental, any of them, although concepts (at least for the calculus and trig texts, I am not familiar with the algebra) will attempt to arrange topics in a coherent order. 

You can, however, integrate at-home review of topics if you feel the school is not providing enough. I would also expect that the school will review before tests.

This may be OT or it may be helpful to you. DD is in Middle School. The vast majority of her textbooks are Glencoe and she usually likes them, a lot.  I remember ordering one textbook for her last year and she told me, "I hope it's a Glencoe" (it was).   However, they use Prentice Hall  textbooks for Math . I suspect there is something major about Glencoe Math textbooks that caused them not to use Glencoe for Math...

Eldest DS is entering PS after being homeschooled K-8. Our local school uses Glencoe Algebra 2, and Geometry. We have been extremely satisfied Saxon users. We started K12.com for DS's 5th grade year, and were sorely disappointed in their math program because it is NOT incremental. So all 4 kids have done K12 math AND Saxon each school year, using the K12 as somewhat of a review/overview. What should I expect with Glencoe? How about Stewart's Calculus? Bittinger Trigonometry?

Thanks for any observations!

What Saxon texts did your DS complete?  I have seen some other HS level math text books that have problems in a new chapter that are topics from an earlier chapter.  That is really what Saxon is doing at the Algebra 1, 2,... level.  

Teachers could do that as well with any text.  You may want to do this via after schooling. DS will probably protest a little.

Some math topics naturally build upon previous topics so take that into consideration as well. But I do agree if your son covers, for example, probability in month 2 of the school year and never sees it again then he will more than likely have forgotten some by the end of the school year.

Are they using the newer Common Core editions?