Menu

Homeschooling in Austin?

OneStepAtATime

Sounds great.  And my grandmother once lived there.  She loved it.  We have some relatives there, but none homeschool or even have kids, actually, so they aren't much help.  

Can someone give me some areas that are not too expensive to live in that have relatively easy access to homeschool friendly activities/groups?  Any coops that might have classes/field trips?  Is north better than south or vice versa?

Any suggestions for a summer activity/camp the kids could do for a week or so to give them a feel for the place while we check things out?

Sounds great.  And my grandmother once lived there.  She loved it.  We have some relatives there, but none homeschool or even have kids, actually, so they aren't much help.  

Can someone give me some areas that are not too expensive to live in that have relatively easy access to homeschool friendly activities/groups?  Any coops that might have classes/field trips?  Is north better than south or vice versa?

Any suggestions for a summer activity/camp the kids could do for a week or so to give them a feel for the place while we check things out?

The further outside Austin city limits, the more reasonable are the real estate prices. We live in Round Rock, which is the second city north of Austin off I-35 (I-35 is the only major interstate in the area).

SO many great places to go an things to do, and there is such a diverse population. The coop classes are so much more exciting than the ones I have found locally that we are planning to make the 2 hour drive to Austin weekly:)

Opportunities for classes and activities in just about anything you can imagine, with a decided emphasis on outdoor, active lifestyles. I am not from Texas, hubby is from the UK, and I have to admit that much of Texas completely baffles me...but Austin. Austin is its own little oasis in the vast see of Texas:)

LOVE the Austin area.

We lived in Cedar Park when we started homeschooling...

Do you know the part of town the job would be in?  Some commute times can be very long...

My hubby works in N. Austin-- but we live SW of Austin in the hill country... 12 acres of trees on a hilltop-- same price as a smaller home with a postage stamp back yard in Cedar Park!  His commute is about an hour each way.  He says it is worth it because he really enjoys being away from it all -- pace is definately slower in a rural setting.

Homeschooling is very popular here-- and there are LOTS of homeschooling options.

Thanks for the responses everyone.  We actually won't know a location for the offices yet because they are looking at moving the location and don't know where, but somewhere else in the Austin area.

Prices do seem to be quite a bit higher than where we live now.  And I hear that traffic can be challenging.  But it definitely looks like there is a MUCH more active homeschooling community there than where we are now....

If DH and I go look around is there anything that we ought to check out specifically?  And organizations I should get in touch with?  Any summer camps or local activities we should look into?  We are considering staying a week there (as mentioned, we have family sort of near Austin but no kids) during the summer to get a feel for living there....

SO many great places to go an things to do, and there is such a diverse population. The coop classes are so much more exciting than the ones I have found locally that we are planning to make the 2 hour drive to Austin weekly:)

Opportunities for classes and activities in just about anything you can imagine, with a decided emphasis on outdoor, active lifestyles. I am not from Texas, hubby is from the UK, and I have to admit that much of Texas completely baffles me...but Austin. Austin is its own little oasis in the vast see of Texas:)

Where do you find the co-ops?  Website?  I checked CHEACT and I have to join to get any info it seems.  AAH I have sent a request to so that I can have access to their info but no response yet.

LOVE the Austin area.

We lived in Cedar Park when we started homeschooling...

Do you know the part of town the job would be in?  Some commute times can be very long...

My hubby works in N. Austin-- but we live SW of Austin in the hill country... 12 acres of trees on a hilltop-- same price as a smaller home with a postage stamp back yard in Cedar Park!  His commute is about an hour each way.  He says it is worth it because he really enjoys being away from it all -- pace is definately slower in a rural setting.

Homeschooling is very popular here-- and there are LOTS of homeschooling options.

DD would love to live on acreage and we have family in S.A. so being kind of in between might work, depending on how DH feels and where the final location for the offices will be...thanks for the heads up.