Menu

If you use Spalding, LOE or SWR....what do you do for word practice? What is your schedule?

rachelpants

One of the things my son does is, after I give him the initial dictation, he takes his list and copies the words onto index cards (in printing and cursive, for practice) and we put them away. The next day, I have him alphabetize those cards. Then, he'll get an immediate quiz on them. If I feel like he needs more work, we may do something else with the cards or I mix them up and have him alphabetize them again the next day. I'm not super creative, but copying them to index cards and utilizing those has been a huge help this year.

One of the things my son does is, after I give him the initial dictation, he takes his list and copies the words onto index cards (in printing and cursive, for practice) and we put them away. The next day, I have him alphabetize those cards. Then, he'll get an immediate quiz on them. If I feel like he needs more work, we may do something else with the cards or I mix them up and have him alphabetize them again the next day. I'm not super creative, but copying them to index cards and utilizing those has been a huge help this year.

Do you do it with the markings or without?

After the words are entered into the spelling notebook what else do you do for practice before your quiz/test? What is your schedule like? Thanks!

Spalding doesn't work that way. :-)

I use the schedule that was described in chapter 6 of the fourth edition: Dictate 30 words on Monday (and that's dictating, the dc writing the words in syllables and making any markings, discussing any applicable rules, and reading the words), review the first 10. On the second day, test those 10, discuss/study/write the second 10. On the third day, test 20 words; discuss/study/write the 3rd 10; on the fourth day, test all 30. Words may be used to write original sentences, and the books that are read include many of those words, as well.

That's it.

We do dictation two days in a row with markings. Then I give her choices as to how she wants to practice the words--just writing them, making a word search, using them in sentences. Putting them on index cards is a great idea, too. We've been doing about one lesson a week (a four day week that is) with a test at the and she usually get most, if not all, of them correct.

I want to know too :)

I use the schedule that was described in chapter 6 of the fourth edition: Dictate 30 words on Monday (and that's dictating, the dc writing the words in syllables and making any markings, discussing any applicable rules, and reading the words), review the first 10. On the second day, test those 10, discuss/study/write the second 10. On the third day, test 20 words; discuss/study/write the 3rd 10; on the fourth day, test all 30. Words may be used to write original sentences, and the books that are read include many of those words, as well.

That's it.

Did you have them mark the words for review? 

We do dictation two days in a row with markings. Then I give her choices as to how she wants to practice the words--just writing them, making a word search, using them in sentences. Putting them on index cards is a great idea, too. We've been doing about one lesson a week (a four day week that is) with a test at the and she usually get most, if not all, of them correct.

Dictation two days in a row with markings.....then mix it up for review and test....I like this too :) Thanks :)

For the record..lol....I was thinking....

Tuesday: introduce/dictate/mark 15 words

Wednesday: review (somehow) yesterday's 15 words

Thursday: introduce/dictate/mark  a new set of 15 words

Friday: review (somehow) yesterday's 15 words

Monday: test 30 words

Feedback? :)

Test words which have not yet been taught? :huh:

With traditional spelling methods, you might do that, but with Spalding and its spin-offs, you *teach* the words first, *then* you test, and you remediate any misspelled words.

He does not do markings on the cards. After we do the first dictation, we go over the markings and I basically ask both my kids what needs to be marked, and they both pretty much get it right away. I don't personally see a reason to do it again in our house.

On Monday are you testing the week prior's words? We do usually test on Fridays.

Our schedule, and granted we aren't hard core, is something along the lines of:

M - This year we didn't school Monday

T - Intro. 10 words (dictate/finger spell, mark, dictate back to mom on board, copy to index cards)

W - Alphabetize previous day's cards, quiz those words, intro. 10 new words (dictate/finger spell, mark, dictate back to mom on board, copy to index cards)

Th - Alphabetize all cards from the week, quiz; any kind of chart work or new concepts, quiz phonograms

F - Test

This is our fourth year working with SWR. We've tried others and I always have come back to it, but I had to make it work for us. I'm finally at a good place where I feel comfortable with it and the kids like it. We only do 20 words a week right now, so we're a little behind their pacing, but it's what works for us. I'll be amping the word amount up for my ds next year. I am not in a hurry to complete the program and I'm happy with how they're spelling. I love that it's so flexible - you can talk to 10 different SWR users and we'll all use it a different way. :)

I love that it's so flexible - you can talk to 10 different SWR users and we'll all use it a different way. :)

Isn't that the truth! I really am surprised that more people don't use SWR. 

SWR (manual) takes you step by step through the learning process. The WISE Guide (sample–page 10 should've been placed before page 11) lists preliminaries—phonograms, spelling rules, and reference pages to learn/review for each list, provides sample sentences for each spelling word, and offers spelling enrichments that vary from list to list. SWR rocks!

Depending on the lists, whether new or review, and the year in which we did them, we've used My Wise Grammar Books for enrichment activities as well as just those suggested in the WISE guide. Here's a post from a SWR thread when we we're doing K5. (Wow, I almost can't believe that was four years ago! Seems like just yesterday.) Fast forward to 4th grade, our routine is fine-tuned but we still use the enrichment activities suggested in the WISE Guide.

Day 1 

- review/quiz phonograms and spelling rules (optional, perhaps once a month-ish)

- dictate 40 words (if reviewing lists at beginning of the year) or 20 new words from a WISE Guide list (into Black Learning Log)

- timed reading from BLL

Day 2

- quiz words, any misspelled words are then written 3-5 times on back of his quiz and then entered into his Spelling Word Bank

- oral enrichment activity from WISE Guide

- timed reading from BLL

Day 3 

- orally quiz misspelled words

- enrichment activity from WISE Guide or just write sentences using half of the words

- timed reading from BLL

Day 4 

- enrichment activity from WISE Guide or just write sentences using other half of the words

- timed reading from BLL

HTH!

Sorry for the confusion! No, Monday's spelling test would be from the previous week's words. A new set of words studied Tuesday-Friday and tested on Monday. :-) Thanks for your help! I'm editing my schedule to clarify! :)

Why would you wait until Monday? :confused1:

Why would you wait until Monday? :confused1:

Because I'm mean (and paranoid :lol: ). I want to make sure he can remember the concepts over the weekend.

Hey Ellie....When and how are contractions taught with Spalding?

Thanks for your post CMama :)  ...although I do have envy now for "My Wise Grammar Book" :)

Because I'm mean (and paranoid :lol: ). I want to make sure he can remember the concepts over the weekend.

Hey Ellie....When and how are contractions taught with Spalding?

Well, see, Spalding spelling tests are prescriptive; you don't do them several days later to see if the dc still remember the concepts; you do them right away so that you can remediate immdediately if necessary.

Contractions are part of the writing lesson. You explain what a "contraction" is, show the children how to use an apostrophe, and analyze which letters are left out and indicated by the apostrophe. And that's probably pretty subjective, lol. You just explain that it is what it is without making a big deal of it. 

That's it.

The students don't mark the words for the tests, right?

I use LOE at two different levels. There are online schedule samples which I basically follow. Word study is built in to the program - not studying your list of words, but the spelling rules, and practicing them in the context of other activities like writing plurals, compound words, dictation and composition of phrases. There's a review/assessment every 5th lesson (book is 40 lessons long), and you use words from prior lessons/lists in many activities. It's less about mastering specific words and more about mastering the rules and skills for building any word.

Thanks for your post CMama :)  ...although I do have envy now for "My Wise Grammar Book" :)

Basically, the My Wise Grammar Books—created by an Endorsed SWR Trainer—are the suggested enrichment activities for lists A-K and L-O in ready-made worksheet form.

I use SWR.  We dictate 10 words per day.  After dictation, we enter relevant words in our reference pages (e.g., homonyms, E's dropping words, Y's Exchanging words, etc.)  Then we quiz all 10.  We do 10 words the next day in the same fashion, and on the 3rd day, we test all 20.  That is all we have ever done.  

That's it.

Sorry to hijack, but how long does it take you to dictate the 30 words on the first day? What about the other days?

He does not do markings on the cards. After we do the first dictation, we go over the markings and I basically ask both my kids what needs to be marked, and they both pretty much get it right away. I don't personally see a reason to do it again in our house.

On Monday are you testing the week prior's words? We do usually test on Fridays.

Our schedule, and granted we aren't hard core, is something along the lines of:

M - This year we didn't school Monday

T - Intro. 10 words (dictate/finger spell, mark, dictate back to mom on board, copy to index cards)

W - Alphabetize previous day's cards, quiz those words, intro. 10 new words (dictate/finger spell, mark, dictate back to mom on board, copy to index cards)

Th - Alphabetize all cards from the week, quiz; any kind of chart work or new concepts, quiz phonograms

F - Test

This is our fourth year working with SWR. We've tried others and I always have come back to it, but I had to make it work for us. I'm finally at a good place where I feel comfortable with it and the kids like it. We only do 20 words a week right now, so we're a little behind their pacing, but it's what works for us. I'll be amping the word amount up for my ds next year. I am not in a hurry to complete the program and I'm happy with how they're spelling. I love that it's so flexible - you can talk to 10 different SWR users and we'll all use it a different way. :)

About how much time do you spend on SWR each day?

Depending on the lists, whether new or review, and the year in which we did them, we've used My Wise Grammar Books for enrichment activities as well as just those suggested in the WISE guide. Here's a post from a SWR thread when we we're doing K5. (Wow, I almost can't believe that was four years ago! Seems like just yesterday.) Fast forward to 4th grade, our routine is fine-tuned but we still use the enrichment activities suggested in the WISE Guide.

Isn't that the truth!!! I remember discussing SWR with you back then all the time! I'm glad you stuck with it and it's worked so well for your family! You're such an awesome Momma. :)

Isn't that the truth! I really am surprised that more people don't use SWR. 

SWR (manual) takes you step by step through the learning process. The WISE Guide (sample–page 10 should've been placed before page 11) lists preliminaries—phonograms, spelling rules, and reference pages to learn/review for each list, provides sample sentences for each spelling word, and offers spelling enrichments that vary from list to list. SWR rocks!

Day 1 

- review/quiz phonograms and spelling rules (optional, perhaps once a month-ish)

- dictate 40 words (if reviewing lists at beginning of the year) or 20 new words from a WISE Guide list (into Black Learning Log)

- timed reading from BLL

Day 2

- quiz words, any misspelled words are then written 3-5 times on back of his quiz and then entered into his Spelling Word Bank

- oral enrichment activity from WISE Guide

- timed reading from BLL

Day 3 

- enrichment activity from WISE Guide or just write sentences using half of the words

- timed reading from BLL

Day 4 

- enrichment activity from WISE Guide or just write sentences using other half of the words

- timed reading from BLL

HTH!

How much time do you typically spend on SWR each day? I'm sure it depends on which enrichment activities your doing, but an approximate time?

I use SWR.  We dictate 10 words per day.  After dictation, we enter relevant words in our reference pages (e.g., homonyms, E's dropping words, Y's Exchanging words, etc.)  Then we quiz all 10.  We do 10 words the next day in the same fashion, and on the 3rd day, we test all 20.  That is all we have ever done.  

I like this schedule a lot! How much time do you spend each day on SWR would you say?

I am using Spalding with fluently reading Kers that aren't yet 6, but are both very natural spellers.  We're not doing it "right" at all. :lol:  I call my method "Spalding meets the talk I heard Andrew Pudewa give on spelling last summer." 

Our daily schedule is: 

• phonograms (orally flip through them daily, and probably 2x a week, have them write a few of the more confusing ones from dictation on a small white board)
  • orally review 5-10 words each (just me holding someone's spiral, flipping through previous words, and saying "Spell ____.  Good. Now spell _____."  They rarely miss these.
  • enter somewhere between 5-8 new words in their spiral, with discussion, marking, etc. 
  • put the words that they find interesting or "hard" up on our spelling city board

that's it, no tests. I know Ellie's head is probably exploding from my not doing anything that really resembles the official Spalding schedule, but it works really well for us.

About how much time do you spend on SWR each day?

20 minutes? Not long. One of the things I really wrestled with over the last few years was how much importance to put on spelling. I mean, yeah, it's important, but when we started out, it was emphasized (by me) a little too much because we were trying to do every little thing that the book recommended and every way I read about other people doing it, also! I knew that other homeschoolers were successful in spelling without emphasizing spelling as much as we were. This methodology can really take some time to figure out and find your groove, but once you do, it's wonderful.

I like this schedule a lot! How much time do you spend each day on SWR would you say?

We use the schedule of 10 words dictation over 2 days then test on day 3, because dd9 is really, really slow.  (I suspect slow processing, which we are getting her tested for.)  She is highly distractible and has a hard time focusing.  And does she love to talk!  So on a dictation day, it might take us 30-45 minutes, including reference pages and quiz.  When my 6yo is at this level, I am pretty sure that he will be able to do the same work in half the time.  

I combine enrichment activities with the quiz, because she just wouldn't have the energy to do a separate enrichment activity.  This is our 4th year with SWR, so I don't formally teach the reference pages anymore.  I mostly use them as collection pages, and that saves me a lot of time, as well.  

I am using Spalding with fluently reading Kers that aren't yet 6, but are both very natural spellers. We're not doing it "right" at all. :lol: I call my method "Spalding meets the talk I heard Andrew Pudewa give on spelling last summer."

Our daily schedule is:

• phonograms (orally flip through them daily, and probably 2x a week, have them write a few of the more confusing ones from dictation on a small white board)
  • orally review 5-10 words each (just me holding someone's spiral, flipping through previous words, and saying "Spell ____. Good. Now spell _____." They rarely miss these.
  • enter somewhere between 5-8 new words in their spiral, with discussion, marking, etc.
  • put the words that they find interesting or "hard" up on our spelling city board
that's it, no tests. I know Ellie's head is probably exploding from my not doing anything that really resembles the official Spalding schedule, but it works really well for us.[

*Gasp* Your Spelling City is brilliant!