Menu

Those of you who've used Read, Write & Type or Clickn Read

nature girl

At what age did your children start? My DD4 is a beginning reader (currently reading Level 1 ER's) and desperately wants to write her own stories (she now makes me dictate 3 or 4 stories a day for her) but her letter writing skills aren't quite up to it yet, and she gets easily frustrated with herself. She's been doing some hunting and pecking on the keyboard, but it's actually even slower than her writing, so I've been wondering whether it's too soon to begin to teach typing. Do you think it's too early to start? How did your kids like the program?

(Edited, because after reading more I'm realizing Read, Write & Type might be a better choice...Any other good, fun programs for teaching typing to young kids?)

I am definitely no expert but I am not going to teach typing until my kids are really good at writing, I don't want them to get the idea that they don't need to know how to write because they can type.  If they can't write fast enough and want to see their stories on paper I write it for them.

Clicknread is really more about teaching reading than keyboarding skills, although there is a little bit of that to it.  I rather like clicknread, but it's not amazing.  As far as typing v. writing, I think they are both important skills, and it's not like a 4yo has enormous patience with either one.   I think I started teaching my kids to type at around 5 or 6 yo, and my preferred program is Ten Thumbs, mostly because it's a downloadable program that has lasted through many computer upgrades for us.  It works, too.  My 7 yo likes it well enough, and I think he's up to around 15 words/minute.  It's a start.