Menu

Lukeion Greek for a beginner.

Before jumping into it, I was wanting some opinions of Lukeion Greek for my son.  He's been wanting to learn Classical Greek for four years now, and it's something I just can't do on my own.  He's not really had any other language instruction before.  My other issue is the time zone difference, we live in Japan.  He'll be starting 9th in the fall.  What kind of pace?  What are the assignments like?  We already have the text.

My son started Greek with Lukeion in 7th grade, with no previous language experience. If your son is really motivated to learn Greek, has a solid grounding in grammar, and is willing to put in the hours, he should be fine.

As for pace, Lukeion covers one chapter (e.g. 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b) per week, with homework due on Friday and a quiz each Monday. All homework assignments are from the text. You can see the grades for each assignment online in Quia as soon as they're graded. Regan also provides lots of grammar & vocabulary games and activities on Quia for extra practice. It is a LOT of work (most kids seem to spend 10-12 hours/week that first year), but Regan is a wonderful teacher, and for a student who loves all things Greek, there's nothing quite like the thrill of reading Greek literature in the original language.    

I highly recommend Lukeion for Greek instruction. My youngest children (6th grade twins) are finishing their first year with Regan, and my oldest daughter (9th grade) is completing her fourth year with Regan.  They all enjoy Regan's classes immensely.  For Greek I, my kids have spent around 5-6 hours per week.  Higher levels may or may not require a greater time commitment, depending on the student.  Time investment is highly variable across students, so maybe more replies from others would be helpful.

For future reference, Greek 3 and 4 are significantly different from the 1/2 classes.  They are strictly reading and translation of unadapted texts with students sharing their translations in class (students don't participate in this way in Greek 1 and 2).  The 3/4 classes tend to be small thus far; my daughter was the only "student" in the class for the first semester this year (except for one adult student).  She has loved reading original texts (e.g. Plato's Republic, Xenophon's Anabasis,etc.) and is working through parts of Homer on her own.  From what I have gathered, most students don't seem to struggle through 1/2 but give up on 3/4 because of the time they have to invest to grasp the material.  It is definitely a step up from the Athenaze books but WELL WORTH IT. 

If your son enjoys Greek, I cannot think of a better teacher than Regan. He is simply outstanding, and his love of the language is contagious. :)    

Thank you so much!  Hearing that it's been successful with younger than high school is encouraging.  Since 5th grade, he's wanted to read the Odyssey in the original. This is probably the only way to go for that before college.